Is it my imagination or....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it my imagination or....

....is there a plethora of hood ornaments on ebay this AM? I counted 6 on the 1st page alone, 4 from one guy.

Has anyone ever researched the ideas behind hood ornaments? For example, the one for the '50 Champion is kinda chunky-looking (in my opinion) while the Commander is very long and sleek. Then in '51 they were the plane with the wing tips bent up while the '52 looks kinda like a shark's fin. And on and on.....

I've seen a pic of Loewy and a '52 prototype but who actually thunk up these sculptures and who approved 'em? I think it would make a very interesting story.

John

Yes, it would make a good story and I'd like to see it in TW. Who will take up the challenge?

Comment

Yes, it would make a good story and I'd like to see it in TW. Who will take up the challenge?

Comment

At least where I'm from, there were three things that folks always wanted off any junk car- horn button, keys, and hood ornaments! This seems universal- even those that have absolutely no interest in cars wanted to keep these. Maybe that's why there do seem to be lots of hood ornaments...

This week there was a 63 Lark NOS hood ornament. The seller had a starting (minimum) bid of $150! SI has new ones for $79.95[)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

At least where I'm from, there were three things that folks always wanted off any junk car- horn button, keys, and hood ornaments! This seems universal- even those that have absolutely no interest in cars wanted to keep these. Maybe that's why there do seem to be lots of hood ornaments...

This week there was a 63 Lark NOS hood ornament. The seller had a starting (minimum) bid of $150! SI has new ones for $79.95[)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Yes, but the repro is not near as nice as the NOS 63 ornament.

JDP/Maryland
            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
            spent to date $54664,75
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,839.60
            63 Lark 2 door
            57 wagon
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP/Maryland
              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
              spent to date $54664,75
              64 R2 GT (Sid)
              spent to date $62,839.60
              63 Lark 2 door
              57 wagon
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Say, guys, so as to not reinvent the wheel, why not just reprint the July 1995 Turning Wheels? Has someone introduced any new Studebaker hood ornaments since Fred Fox completed the excellent feature article therein? [?] BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Say, guys, so as to not reinvent the wheel, why not just reprint the July 1995 Turning Wheels? Has someone introduced any new Studebaker hood ornaments since Fred Fox completed the excellent feature article therein? [?] BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I would ask, how could the NOS be that much nicer than a brand new repo? I'd like to see them side by side.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I would ask, how could the NOS be that much nicer than a brand new repo? I'd like to see them side by side.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

You can tell the difference from 10 feet, it's just a OK reproduction.

JDP/Maryland
                        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                        spent to date $54664,75
                        64 R2 GT (Sid)
                        spent to date $62,839.60
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        57 wagon
                        51 Commander
                        39 Coupe express
                        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

You can tell the difference from 10 feet, it's just a OK reproduction.

JDP/Maryland
                          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                          spent to date $54664,75
                          64 R2 GT (Sid)
                          spent to date $62,839.60
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          57 wagon
                          51 Commander
                          39 Coupe express
                          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I have a repro hood ornament that is as nice as any N.O.S. I've seen. I thought list was about $95.00. Are you sure you saw the repro? I doubt you have. Stephen Cade

Stephen Cade

Comment

I have a repro hood ornament that is as nice as any N.O.S. I've seen. I thought list was about $95.00. Are you sure you saw the repro? I doubt you have. Stephen Cade

Stephen Cade

Comment

Working...
                              X