Early Chicago Kodachrome pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Chicago Kodachrome pictures

I wanted to post this on the "Studes in Roadside Americana" thread. But couldn't convince myself that the last truck on the right is a Stude C.O.E. But I love the Dodge crew (or sleeper) cab.

More pics here:

(about twenty)

[IMG]Cicago Kodachrome by leadpencilno2, on Flickr[/IMG]

And tell me this doesn't look like a Norman Rockwell painting!

[IMG]Chicago Kodachrome 1 by leadpencilno2, on Flickr[/IMG]
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Kodachrome was great stuff and now we can see great photos from 70 years ago.

But no more. Now all photos are electronic, nearly all on cell phones.

We have boxes and boxes of photos - some great and many just ordinary - but we have them. And on our photo wall are pics of Mom, age 3 in 1919, Dad at his 1933 HS graduation, Grandma when she was 16, about 1895, our first bird dog coming out of a field with two birds in his mouth, and some daguerreotypes of great-great grandma as a teenager.

There are perhaps another thousand old photos from both sides of the family in boxes, and thousands of Kodachromes I shot all over the world in the early seventies.

The photos being made today? They'll be gone forever - {poof} - when the cellphone dies and hits the trash bin.

It's progress and it's a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
      Kodachrome was great stuff and now we can see great photos from 70 years ago.
      There's been a few posts with links to excellent vintage Kodachrome photos: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rom-WWII-Enjoy

Craig

Comment

Photo is what connected me & Sonja in -91 & boy do we have albums... But yep, then along came the all-electric stuff & now we also have "cards" that has to be placed in a computer or camera to show the pictures & nope, that never happens!
        But the albums we do look in from time to time...
        & being a bull-headed ol' fart I still take pictures with my Leicaflex, especially of Josephine.

Comment

Boy do I miss Kodachrome film.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The second picture reminds me of the Fishkill, NY train station in the early 1950s. I STR that Fishkill got dial phones in 1951. It is probably not a train station from then because I do not see a telegraph key. Much of the stuff on the walls seems to be from WWII, but may just be left over.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              The second picture reminds me of the Fishkill, NY train station in the early 1950s. I STR that Fishkill got dial phones in 1951. It is probably not a train station from then because I do not see a telegraph key. Much of the stuff on the walls seems to be from WWII, but may just be left over.
              It is the North Proviso yardmaster's office in Chicago.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Thanks for the link. These pictures are really awesome!
                Nice day to all.
                sigpic

Comment

"Boy do I miss Kodachrome film."

I used to make my living as a photographer and managing a photo lab. My preferred film was Kodachrome 64 shot at 100. I would have it processed normally & loved the results.

Comment

After enlarging the truck photo (and it does enlarge very well) I believe you are correct!
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by dleroux View Post
                      "Boy do I miss Kodachrome film."

I used to make my living as a photographer and managing a photo lab. My preferred film was Kodachrome 64 shot at 100. I would have it processed normally & loved the results.
                      Dick, interesting. I too was a photographer for years and owned a professional lab and studio in Santa Barbara for several years. We did not process our own Kodachrome (K-14) but used it a lot on commercial shoots. We often shot in medium format or 4X5 using a Linhof Technica field camera. But even in small format Kodachrome gave superb results. We lose so much in the march of progress. Too bad. The photos above illustrate that point marvelously.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Very nice collection of photos. Thank you for sharing.
                        Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO

Comment

Thankfully they don’t have “posted by Richard Quinn” plastered on and ruining them.

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                            still take pictures with my Leicaflex, especially of Josephine.

Where do you get film and where do you get it developed? I'd like to fire up my old Pentax.

Comment

Kurt,

Thanks for not just your picture posts, but the very interesting link back to a simpler time and place. Those are exceptional pictures and you reminded me of when I used to take a ton of Kodachrome and Fujichrome pics (circa late 70's, 1980) with my Pentax LX 35 mm SLR camera. I absolutely loved it and the results it produced. Now I use a digital Nikon but not with the same enthusiasm, more for posting convenience. Now the only LX I have is my 2008 SRT8 Magnum.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X