Coupe as an Unknown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe as an Unknown

This evening, I was at a church and I was eating dinner across the table from a "newly minted" (few months) minister/reverend. In conversation, he said that his wife was driving an Acura MDX and he was driving a Honda CRV. I mentioned that I was there in my Acura, a 3.2 CL coupe. He said that he did not know what a coupe is!

I know that most vehicles sold in the US now are trucks, SUVs and crossovers and the few others are primarily sedans. The minister did say that he is not a car person. I did not find that unusual at his age. I had a Studebaker trucks shirt on and of course that brought no comment.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

As I have stated in a previous post, the SUV/CUV/light truck market is currently 63% vs. 37% for passenger cars in North America, and still shows signs of increasing in all market sectors. Lately, I've read Ferrari has one in the works.

Craig

Comment

What's a passenger car?
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I found out recently that I cannot replace my beloved 99 Honda Accord V-6 coupe. No coupes any more and no V-6 engines. Just 47 different models of four door sedans and two models of 4 cylinder engines.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy , you should look at buying a Studebaker.
          Simple to fix and no electronics!
          If it gets submerged during a bad rain storm you simply change the oil
          in engine and transmission and give it a grease job, cleanup your brakes and drive away on wet seats.

Comment

VW no longer produces a 2 door Golf other than their Golf station wagon. Even the 292 hp Golf R only comes in a four door. Subaru's WRX/STI cars are only in four door.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I knew that selling my Avanti and buying a Land Cruiser was a smart move.

Comment

Aren't the Ford Mustang/Chevrolet Camaro/Dodge Challenger considered coupes? Point your minister in that direction and you could end up with rocking congregation. Our young minister is driving an old Infiniti hand me down. He says he is going to drive it into the ground but I told him I think he is almost there. His sister had it and she is very hard on cars. When he was first starting out, he was circuit riding and getting his oil changed about every two weeks. I told him if he wants to attract a wife he needs to upgrade to a pickup or something a little sporty.

Bob Miles

Comment

COUPE:

Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                    Aren't the Ford Mustang/Chevrolet Camaro/Dodge Challenger considered coupes? Point your minister in that direction and you could end up with rocking congregation. Our young minister is driving an old Infiniti hand me down. He says he is going to drive it into the ground but I told him I think he is almost there. His sister had it and she is very hard on cars. When he was first starting out, he was circuit riding and getting his oil changed about every two weeks. I told him if he wants to attract a wife he needs to upgrade to a pickup or something a little sporty.

Bob Miles
                    Yes, they are coupes, but only a small percentage of the population seems to know about them.
                    He is not my minister. He sat down across from me at a dinner.
                    He is not looking to attract a wife. He got married in June when he got out of the seminary.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                      Roy , you should look at buying a Studebaker.
                      Ha! Just this spring I went from seven Studebakers down to five.
                      Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-22-2018, 10:40 AM.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

To understand where the current market is, take some time on www.goodcarbadcar.net which breaks down sales by segment. The trends to CUV/trucks away from sedans is striking. There have always been inflection points where popular types lose their dominance, become niche segments. The two door coupe transitioned into a niche segment over the last twenty-five years, small wonder they're no longer in general recognition.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X