Gave in to temptation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gave in to temptation

A friend found a Studebaker while on a job, learned that it was for sale, and called me. I wasn't looking for another one, but when he sent me a picture and it was a '54 hardtop I had to go look. I ended up buying it today. It's been in a warehouse for 15 years or more, so will take some work to get it going. Plan is to get it running and stopping, then drive it as is for a while. Maybe restore it later, or maybe pass it along to another SDC member.
    Haven't got it up on the lift yet to thoroughly check things, but a quick look over shows the following.
    The good, hood straight with no kinks in the corners, chrome very good including pot metal and grill surrounds, tinted glass all around, presentable interior. Doors open and close nice with no sag.
    The bad, rusty floor, the usual rust on the bottom of the front fenders and rocker panels, corners of trunk rusty around body mounts. Bondo in right rear fender behind door. Will get it inside, flush fuel system, get brakes working and give update.Click image for larger version

Name:	1004181109a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1759531 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8691.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1759532
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Good score....this one should be a breeze since you're all practiced up....you'll do it proud
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Very Nice '54 Starliner Dwight!

I like that very CLEAN looking re-upholstered Interior, complete with Floor Shift Conversion!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Betcha it cranks right up

Comment

Funny thing, the serial number is higher than my black car, but the body number is lower. I guess the bodies came to the assembly line last in first out.

Comment

Nice score. Remove the extra 2 lights on front, fix the floor, and I'll be over to take it home.

Comment

Looks like someone had trouble with the column shifter and didn't want to deal with taking it apart to fix. Nice looking car.​
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

So... it looks like a Commander.... so...... it should be a V8.... so..... is that a 3 speed or 4 speed on the floor? And..... is it still the 232? Or?..... Is it possibly a 289? 259? Avanti power? Dual exhaust?
                You're killin me with so few details. We wanna know.
                sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  So... it looks like a Commander.... so...... it should be a V8.... so..... is that a 3 speed or 4 speed on the floor? And..... is it still the 232? Or?..... Is it possibly a 289? 259? Avanti power? Dual exhaust?
                  You're killin me with so few details. We wanna know.
                  Yeah, what Sals54 said.
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Still has the 232, but someone swapped out the automatic for a 3 speed manual.

Comment

Wowzer! She's a beauty, Dwight. That interior really looks good
                      Mike Davis
                      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                        Still has the 232, but someone swapped out the automatic for a 3 speed manual.
                        OOOohhhhh. Smart move on the previous owners part. You'll like that so much better. Overdrive??? Even better if it does, but not necessary to have some fun driving.
                        Fabulous car though. I love it.
                        sals54

Comment

And By The Way... get some vinyl conditioner on those seats. They might be a little brittle after sitting for so long. Supple them up a bit first with a good massage of vinyl goop.
                          sals54

Comment

I'd keep the extra lights just to see folks coming up & telling stories abut the car...
                            NICE find!

Comment

Hey Dwight, looks like You'll have a really nice driver to say the least makes Me think of " Car 54 where are You " , or what one are You gonna Drive Today
                              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                              X