Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll Question: Can a restored vehicle ever rust out again ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll Question: Can a restored vehicle ever rust out again ???

Call it what you will; over-restored, better than factory restored, home equity restored......etc. If a vehicle has been restored to these levels, is it possible for it to rust out or through in the present/new owner's lifetime ???? Keep in mind total miles per year. I remember here in New England that fender rust was usual in about 3 years time with a car driven daily on salted roads. That would be the front fender curse, not floors, cowl or trunks. Is it possible you can drive a newly restored car throughout the year now and not see any discernable rust for 6, 7 or 10 years..?

That question can be answered here-------> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...netheless-lost

Craig

Comment

Whatever you do I reckon it's down to the places where no paint or such has been able to reash earlier such as the overlap at the rear of a front fender or places where they just didn't bother such as under the dashboard & so on + the fact that it needs to be real warm & dry when aplying the seal that the moisture shouldn't penetrate...

Comment

Absolutely, Mother Nature is on a ceaseless drive to reclaim everything.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          That question can be answered here-------> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...netheless-lost

Craig
          Thanks Craig, you are amazing always finding awesome Old Posts like this one from 11/18/2011, lots of "Lost" people as well as really neat mistreated and Lost Cars there!

Both Good to remember and Bad.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Agree with Guido. Had a 64 Cruiser that John Poulos did a decent restoration on for me. Instead of rusting out in 3-4 years, it took 8-10.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

What did Neil Young sing? "Rust Never Sleeps".....
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                What did Neil Young sing? "Rust Never Sleeps".....
                I was thinking the very same thing!

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Craig
                  After reading some if this thread, I have to share about an off brand. There is a fella who lives about 30 minutes from me, out in the country. He has in his side pasture, a 1956 Chevy Nomad Wagon. It sits, rotting into the ground. A few parts have been stolen off it, but it's still about 90+ % there. I went to his door a couple years ago. I won't go back. He is perhaps one of the most beligerent morons I've ever met.
                  And, another guy, who lives a couple blocks from me, has a 66 Mustang Fastback which he has kept uncovered in his driveway for years and years. He recently covered it, but it still sits outside. Its 100% complete and stock. 289 auto. (Its the Ford 289 though, not the Studebaker 289) He won't sell. He's an old geezer. He chain smokes every time I've ever seen him. That's going on for 12+ years. He looks to be on death's door, but he has looked that way since I first met him, 12 years ago. I thought fer sher he'd be dead by now, but I'm thinking he may out live me. He must be immune to emphazema or maybe he's a vampire or something. Who knows. But the Mustang just sits and sits and sits. He wants to give it to his grandson. I've met the grandson. Holy Moly. The kid is not the car-guy type. Once the kid gets it, he'll sell it for crack. Huh.... maybe I should hang around a little longer. I just might score a Mustang fastback for a couple of doobies.
                  sals54

Comment

This one was stored, re-stored, and re-re-stored. It was stored so many times, that it became worthless from just being stored. It's a great example of being over-stored and this is the good side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	studes & stuff 025.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1723965

Comment

Originally posted by HOXXOH View Post
                      This one was stored, re-stored, and re-re-stored. It was stored so many times, that it became worthless from just being stored. It's a great example of being over-stored and this is the good side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76113[/ATTACH]
                      Holy smokes! Was it stored in a salt pit?
                      Minnesota's driving season is very short due to 6 to 7 months of road salt, and it's made even short because I won't take my old cars out if it even looks like rain.

Comment

Originally posted by HOXXOH View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76113[/ATTACH]
                        That must be THIS car!! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...esting-63-Lark

Craig

Comment

I don't see anything, but maybe 1 post that speaks to the question I posed up front. I'm asking about a car that has been restored, frame-off for let's say $30K.... or more. Say something from Westmoreland...you know, a frame off , blasted, all seams and joints filled correctly. I know there are variable definitions of "restored"..... and I'm talking something done over recently , say in the last 10 -15 years with good epoxy primers, fillers, and high quality finishes.....Maybe there is no answer, but I would like any "restored" comments to be limited to the "high" end restos.....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                            I don't see anything, but maybe 1 post that speaks to the question I posed up front. I'm asking about a car that has been restored, frame-off for let's say $30K.... or more. Say something from Westmoreland...you know, a frame off , blasted, all seams and joints filled correctly. I know there are variable definitions of "restored"..... and I'm talking something done over recently , say in the last 10 -15 years with good epoxy primers, fillers, and high quality finishes.....Maybe there is no answer, but I would like any "restored" comments to be limited to the "high" end restos.....
                            I believe you are now clarifying your former question to new restorations done to modern-day rust proofing standards.

When you state 'all seams and joints filled correctly', I think you mean what is done today in a car factory for corrosion protection, not what was done 'correctly' in the Studebaker factory to be authentic. Am I reading your sentence right?

Craig

Comment

At this point, I'm curious as to what motivates the question? Certainly, given the right care/storage, almost anything can be preserved. However, any object attains the status of "vintage," most eventually reach a point to where preservation becomes its focus and original function relegated to curiosity. Even the Egypt pyramids have suffered the ravages of the elements and time. Museums are full of otherwise perishable artifacts which have become dangerously fragile even in hermetically sealed environments.

So, my conclusion is that for a reasonable period of time, some vehicles can be preserved beyond our generation(s), but mainly by extraordinary care/expense and probably loss of functionality. To this day, I still recall a beautifully restored trophy (best of show) winner, that two years later looked like a junkyard candidate. I don't think its decline was from use, but poor prep, mostly cosmetic repairs, and although being stored inside a building, yet exposed to the humidity and corrosive environment of a coastal town. So you were wise to clarify and add certain qualifications as to what constitutes "restored."

BUT...we are called a "Driver's Club," and not an owners/restorer's/preserver's club. So, whether we do a "Poll," or merely offer up opinions, it is a fun discussion we can all enjoy as the paint fades, glass fogs into a patina, and the wheels fall off. Let's all enjoy the community while it lasts.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X