Snow Tire Time?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Tire Time?!

Here on Vancouver Island off the west coast of BC, we seldom see snowfall (except in the mountains) and when it does come, it is usually gone within a couple of days. Rain is far more likely and frequent throughout our fall and winter.

So, as you might expect we still have our monthly Chapter events and many still drive their Studebakers unless it is a particularly nasty weather day. This year, the government has see fit to change the snow tire rules and as a result all cars and light trucks must be equipped with Snow tires (having the M+S or Snowflake symbol on the tire sidewall) between October 1st and March 31st. This rule applies to any mountain road of which there are many throughout the province.

Captured in this new rule is the Malahat Highway Summit which is the only direct road link between greater Victoria on the south end of the Island and the rest of the island. As you can imagine, all of our Chapter events require some of our members to cross this summit of 356 m (1,156 ft) to attend. Now my memory is not what it used to be, but I don't recall ever having snowfall on this highway before November in the past - I agree it can get nasty when we do have snow and it certainly comes there before we see it in the areas much closer to sea level.

But, regulations are regulations, so today, knowing that we have an event this coming Saturday, I got out the snow tires for my '66 and mounted them on the car. It really only cost me for 1 extra tire and rim as I use either one of the snow tires or summer tires as my spare during the year. These are Cooper snow tires and I picked them up last year for $99 apiece. The rims are Ford 15x6 and all my tires are mounted on these rims.

Ready to go for winter!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181003_115337.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1759529
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

I just put new Nokian 195/75R16 snow/ice tires on my Champ truck. With a Shurtrax water bladder in the bed to add a couple hundred pounds over the rear wheels I get around Oregon just fine in the winter. I seldom need to use chains unless going to the mountains where they are required in the winter.
    Last edited by Commander Eddie; 10-03-2018, 11:47 AM.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Same rules as in Sweden then. The strange thing is that it's the same rules in the whole country! I live in the south where the leaves just are starting to turn yellow but my oldest daughter lives in Upsala where they had frost already 6 weeks ago, & if you look on a map you can probably imagen that even thou it's slightly more than 600 km between us it's still a lot more of Sweden left above... Weatherwize it can be interesting.

Comment

Years ago I had a Ford Torino wagon with studded tires. I thought I was ready for winter, but then studded tires were ruled out in SW Michigan.
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I'm a weather brat.
          If it gets below 50, I'm in trouble.
          Raised in Southern Calif
          Moved to Northern Calif
          Did my time in the Marines in Hawaii
          Now, back in Calif
          What the heck is the deal with snow, anyway? I only ever see it on TV. I won't even go visit it... cuz.... it's too dang cold ! ! !
          sals54

Comment

What's a 'Snow tire'? If you make a tire out of snow, won't it just crumble when you let the jack down. I saw snow once--------------------on TV. It looked very nice.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

As long as they don't use that dreaded road salt on the Island!!

Craig

Comment

Snow sure does suck, and I sure live in the wrong state. When it snows one inch, the road crews match it with an inch of salt.

Comment

Unlike Mark, we are in the interior (Okanagan) of British Columbia at 3300' elevation. This AM it was 20 F and snowing-Way too early. We haven't even made plans to head to Arizona yet, usually November. All my Studes are put away for the winter and now we rely on purposeful four wheel drive vehicles for winter transport. My wife's (ugh!!) Subaru Outback AWD with four studded winters, my Ex-RCMP four wheel drive Suburban with aggressive all Terrains and our GMC Denali with AWD and 4 real Winters. One Suburban kept in reserve for the worst even has four chains on it. Worst case scenario I break out the Weasel. See the fun you warm weather guys are missing! Perhaps we'll hear from Gord in Alberta as I hear they got hit pretty hard yesterday.
                  Bill

Comment

We just had our first rain of the season. It normally stops raining here in April or so, then does not start up again until October. And... here it is. Right on schedule.
                    We are hoping for a repeat of last year. About 3 weeks of temps barely below 40*F, then back to Spring by February 15th.
                    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      As long as they don't use that dreaded road salt on the Island!!

Craig
                      They normally use some sort of liquid that melts the ice when it gets down to freezing... supposed to be more environmentally friendly than rock salt, but I keep the Stude off the road when it has been spread about. Fortunately we get a lot of rain so the roads are not usually corrosive!
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

The past few year our salt accumulation has exceeded snow accumulation here in the Kansas City area. Salt must be cheap because they certainly use a lost of it. Once the salt comes out, all the old cars and trucks definitely stay in.

Comment

look for a snow/salt thread soon....

Comment

Winter's a lesson for slow learners, that's why I moved out of MN in 1979. If you're in the mood for winter weather, drive 60 miles to the mtns and have a blast.

Comment

As for what Mark alludes to- it's Calcium and/or Magnesium Chloride and it is highly corrosive especially being in liquid form, it gets into every crevice and coats everything.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X