Operation Eichmann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Eichmann

We were watching a movie titled “Operation Eichmann” made in 1960. Starring Werner Kemplerer as Adolf Eichman
    At the end of the film Eichmann is being persued by Israeli agents in a 1951 Studebaker Champion. Poor old Champion had a bad case of oil burning judging by the heavy stream of smoke emitting from the tailpipe upon acceleration.
    My wife exclaimed “that’s a Studebaker!”
    Last edited by 57pack; 10-03-2018, 10:57 AM.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Sounds just like the '51 Commander 2 Door Sedan that was used in the Muppet Movie, really Smoky!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
      We were watching a movie titled “Operation Eichmann” made in 1961. Starring Werner Klemperer as Adolf Eichmann.
      At the end of the film Eichmann is being pursued by Israeli agents in a 1951 Studebaker Champion. Poor old Champion had a bad case of oil burning judging by the heavy stream of smoke emitting from the tailpipe upon acceleration.
      My wife exclaimed “that’s a Studebaker!”
      Werner Klemperer who played Eichmann is this film (I too watched it, it's mostly fiction) and his second in command John Banner were both in the TV show Hogan's Heroes.

Klemperer (the son of composer/conductor Otto Klemperer, who fled Germany in 1935) played Col. Klink while John Banner played Sgt. Schulze.

Operation Finale, a new movie about the pursuit, capture and trial of Eichmann, is a far better film.
      Last edited by WinM1895; 10-03-2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

"Operation Finale" has taken some "dramatic liberties" with accuracy but is essentially accurate. One of the other members of the team has always disputed the story by the operator whose memoirs the movie is based upon. It just shows how different people can take part or view the same event and have completely different memories of it.

The night before seeing Operation Finale my wife and watched "The House on Garibaldi Street" which is an earlier movie depicting the events. It tracks the new movie fairly close, but there are significant differences.

My wife and I both feel the movie should be required viewing for anyone...the generation that survived the Holocaust is passing on and the story of war criminals like Adolph Eichmann needs to be told. The newer generations have no institutional knowledge or memories of such events and they need to know if we hope to never repeat such historical atrocities again. It may not be full of superheroes in the blockbuster films of today but it's important to know the "Greatest Generation" that saved the world wasn't composed of just Americans.

Another excellent movie that needs to be seen is "Anthropoid" about the commandoes and resistance fighters that assassinated Reinhard Heydrich who was given overall charge of Hitler's "Final Solution" and its aftermath.

Sorry for the thread drift. To me this is simply more important than cars.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

In the small farming community I grew up in, anytime you saw a Studebaker (which wasn't often), it smoked. I remember at the time asking why every Studebaker seemed to have this problem & never getting a good answer.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mike Sal;1129593]In the small farming community I grew up in, anytime you saw a Studebaker (which wasn't often), it smoked. I remember at the time asking why every Studebaker seemed to have this problem & never getting a good answer. Growing up my observation of why there were quite a few Smokey Studebakers is a lack of care.
            My dad always purchased Studebakers, generally a new one every two years. He put many miles on his Studebaker in those two years. But he was very meticulous about having his car serviced and even at high mileage I don’t remember his Studebakers smoking. Generally speaking a second hand Studebaker would be a less expensive purchase for someone wanting a less expensive car and wouldn’t give it the care it needed. Probably wouldn’t bother with regular oil changes.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
              "Operation Finale" has taken some "dramatic liberties" with accuracy but is essentially accurate. One of the other members of the team has always disputed the story by the operator whose memoirs the movie is based upon. It just shows how different people can take part or view the same event and have completely different memories of it.

The night before seeing Operation Finale my wife and watched "The House on Garibaldi Street" which is an earlier movie depicting the events. It tracks the new movie fairly close, but there are significant differences.

My wife and I both feel the movie should be required viewing for anyone...the generation that survived the Holocaust is passing on and the story of war criminals like Adolf Eichmann needs to be told. The newer generations have no institutional knowledge or memories of such events and they need to know if we hope to never repeat such historical atrocities again. It may not be full of superheroes in the blockbuster films of today but it's important to know the "Greatest Generation" that saved the world wasn't composed of just Americans.

Another excellent movie that needs to be seen is "Anthropoid" about the commandoes and resistance fighters that assassinated Reinhard Heydrich who was given overall charge of Hitler's "Final Solution" and its aftermath.

Sorry for the thread drift. To me this is simply more important than cars.
              I read about Operation Finale on IMDB, decided to see it despite the 'Hollywood hype.'

There were two films made just after Heydrich was assassinated. Both are broadcast every so often on TCM

One was 'Hangmen Also Die' that starred Brian Donlevy as the lone assassin (in reality, there were two). The other was 'Hitler's Madman' that starred John Carradine as Heydrich.

Heydrich was the one that chaired the Wannsee Conference, where the Final Solution was composed.

Eichmann was the secretary at the conference that was held at the Wannsee resort hotel just outside Berlin.

As a WWII history buff, I spent two weeks in Berlin in 2001.
              Last edited by WinM1895; 10-03-2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X