Model year identification of Avanti II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model year identification of Avanti II

I am working on a non running Avanti II. I would like to know what year model it is to be certain I order correct parts.
    The serial number plate on the A (door hinge) pillar says RQA 0092. Thanks for your help.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Doesn't the Calif. Vehicle Registration slip in the glove box have a Year Model?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It's certainly an early car. Mine is RQA 0330 & it was built in Sept. '69.
      Mike Sal

Comment

I agree with Mike as my '70 is only 2 numbers later than his (0332). I would guess at 1967/68 but a verification is in order to be exact.
        Bill

Comment

Rich, I don't have the registration available.
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Should be a 67.

Comment

According to John Hull's book it was built in 1966 but there's no way of telling what model year Avanti Motors titled it as...possibly a '66 or a '67. It depends on when it was originally sold and it was possibly titled appropriately.

On the door pillar under the door lock is there a manufacturer's sticker with the statement it met all safety regs at time of manufacture? That usually has a month and year of manufacture.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                Rich, I don't have the registration available.
                Gosh Howard, I HOPE you never take it on the Street.

I am sure you know, as in all States, in Calif. missing that, and or a matching, current Year Sticker is a Vehicle Code Violation!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                  I am working on a non running Avanti II. I would like to know what year model it is to be certain I order correct parts.
                  The serial number plate on the A (door hinge) pillar says RQA 0092. Thanks for your help.
                  That is about mid-way in 1966 models.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for your concern Rich; the car belongs to a friend and when I get it running I certainly will be sure I have the registration before I drive it on a public street. It's on a ranch at the moment, so I can drive it around the ranch before I do on the street.

Comment

GM engines have engine numbers stamped on them just like a Studebaker. Just find it and look it up....

You'll love this--- another orphan owner wondering the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py_1p57uqt0

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                        GM engines have engine numbers stamped on them just like a Studebaker. Just find it and look it up....
                        Date codes on an engine can help...maybe. That's assuming the car still has the original engine...plus Avanti Motors purchased engines in lots to take advantage of a quantity discount...something like a six month supply at a time. They also weren't pulled in any order so any particular Avanti could have an engine just completed and received or one that's been sitting in inventory for some time.
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

This should be a 67. Our 66 is RQA0107 and delivered in summer of 66. It was built rush, out of sequence. I know RQA0087 was a 67. There was about 10 prototype cars built in 65 in order to get production running. About 45 cars were built in 66. Serial numbers were assigned when an order was accepted. The build followed this numerical order loosely as evidenced by our 66. Dan Booth has build sheets for these cars. They will have the build and delivery date on them.
                          james r pepper

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Howard looks like you have it covered, but here is my 2 cents worth, my 67 that I just sold and sent to New Zealand was number RQA0253.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X