Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two different Thunderbolt valve cover decals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two different Thunderbolt valve cover decals?

Working on a side-project today, I realized that there were two different valve cover decals used on the 283 Thunderbolt engines. One version did not include the digits ‘283’. Recently there was some discussion on this forum that 1964 Studebaker V-8’s were referred to as ‘Thunderbolt V-8’ engines.

Did the 1964 V-8’s have ‘Thunderbolt V-8’ decals?

When were ‘Thunderbolt V-8’ decals used on the Chevy engines, and when were the ‘283’ decals used…did it coincide with model years or was it a running-change?
    Inquiring mind needs to know.

(One image is not very large so I included the link to it.)

Cheers, Junior

Attached Files
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

I was told that the early ‘65s did not have the 283 on them but switched part way through the year . I have a early fall ‘65 and it didn’t have 283 on the decal .
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

There will likely not be any documentation to prove exactly when the 283 was added except noting how early some of our Cars are that have them. They quite possibly were made by a different Supplier.

IMHO, just another "ploy" to camouflage the GM Engines by not marking the early ones with "283".

No, those "Thunderbolt" Decals were not used on '64's, and would not even Fit. They had None.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My '65 Cruiser had the 283 decals when I got it. The car was purchased new in March of 1966. According to my uncle, the original owner, the engine had never been rebuilt. I wish I could find out the details of this car, but when I requested the build sheet I was told it did not exist, as was the case of many of the 1965 and 1966 cars.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Joe, all we need is a Serial Number to help get a clue as to WHEN these "283" Decals started.
          They being a Chrome Silver Foil material, they did survive very well on most.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6158.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1723913
          Last edited by StudeRich; 09-27-2018, 01:02 PM.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wow, thanks for the speedy replies! Looking at images on the net it appears the yellow valve covers seem to have the '283' decals. It's my understanding that early 65's had yellow valve covers and it was a running change during 65 to the black covers. I wonder if that means only black covers had the non '283' decals? No matter, non '283' decals will suit my purpose so I can get repopped '283' decals and cut the '283' off, or I suppose I could have some '327' ones made but then that would be very un-caso of me. cheers, junior
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

So you get repopped 283 decals and cut the 283 off. What would you have then??

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                Wow, thanks for the speedy replies! Looking at images on the net it appears the yellow valve covers seem to have the '283' decals. It's my understanding that early 65's had yellow valve covers and it was a running change during 65 to the black covers. I wonder if that means only black covers had the non '283' decals? No matter, non '283' decals will suit my purpose so I can get repopped '283' decals and cut the '283' off, or I suppose I could have some '327' ones made but then that would be very un-caso of me. cheers, junior
                Junior...that's what I did. I had a 305 McKinnon () in my 47 M15. I cut the 283 off of the decals that are available

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

IMHO, just another "ploy" to camouflage the GM Engines by not marking the early ones with "283".
                  I guess then that at some point the powers that be decided that letting potential buyers know that a GM engine was installed was more beneficial than trying to hide that fact?
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Exactly Dick! It could have been guessed that Non Studebaker owner buyers might realize that the cheap, plentiful and easy Engine replacement parts might actually BE a selling point so why not flaunt it for all it MIGHT be worth!
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                      Junior...that's what I did. I had a 305 McKinnon () in my 47 M15. I cut the 283 off of the decals that are available

Yup, quess that's what I'll do...looks good Dick. I like how you went with the old-school intake with the oil filler tube too!

cheers, Junior
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                        I like how you went with the old-school intake with the oil filler tube too!

cheers, Junior
                        Only because vintage Chevy 2 barrel intakes make good door stops, help hold down canopies at a swap meet on windy days, or are considered useable items in a CASO's part stash.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                        X