Amp light on when ignition switched off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Amp light on when ignition switched off

Got Bess ('56 Parkview Commander, stock) running again yesterday. She's running nicely although one of the valves still appears to be sticking. It seems to be working the issue out itself as the motor is running much nicer now. However when I switched the engine off, the amp light remained on. Also the pair of wires on the right side of the regulator were hot as well as the thick, white wire on the Genny. Disconnected the battery terminal as things were smelling a bit hotter than desirable. Also noticed I have to replace the wire from the solenoid to the starter, it's looking very frayed.

Do I have a bad regulator (replaced in '06) or maybe a stuck switch somewhere?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

studclunker;
    Did you try tapping on the regulator while the key s off and the battery is connected. With the battery disconnected take the cover off of the regulator and see if the cut out points are stuck closed. The points should only close when the engine is running.
    There could be trouble else ware but the the regulator is the first place I would look. It has been many years since I had a car with a generator.
    Ron

Comment

​Thank you Ron, I'll look into that.

Edit:

Okay, I pulled the cover off the regulator and found two issues. First, thank you Ron, that was the problem. There is a guide (or something like that) arching over the points and it was bent into them closing the gap. Straightened that out. Then when putting the cover back on I noticed the first terminal (the one that was so hot earlier) looked to be bent over. Straightened that out and tightened down the cover. All good! No hot wires and the amp light is out.

Thank you Ron Strasser for the help!
      Last edited by studeclunker; 09-22-2018, 04:45 PM.
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Yeah! The SDC Forum strikes again!

Comment

That was a great "help suggestion" from Ron.... now, about all that smoke that seems to be hiding in my engine and escaping a little at a time.... ha ! Good tip and find for you Studeclunker. Love this club !!!!

Comment

Working...
          X