Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'56 Golden Hawk does the quarter mile in 7.8 sec.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '56 Golden Hawk does the quarter mile in 7.8 sec.

Don't ya just hate it when garbage like this gets posted? Now we have it in writing that a 1956 Golden Hawk can do the quarter mile in 7.8 seconds!! So it must be true because I saw it on the internet. Not only that but the car pictured is neither a Golden Hawk nor a 1956.

Why would they integrated the headlights into the rear tail fins?

Comment

If you look at the rest of the cars covered in the piece the writer knowledge of 50's is limited on most makes not just Studebaker Hawks. The writer knew very little about the subject they were writing about and the pictures did not match cars discussed .
      One of the things that disturbs me is when a lot of these people use pictures they are not of stock cars but modified. Maybe its that I'm old enough to remember cars of that time period

Comment

I can flat tell you no stock Studebaker Hawk will run a 7.8 1/4 maybe a 7.8 1/8 mile. 99% of us would have a heart attack if we got put in a 7 sec car. Even a good soild 10 sec car you will cover the first 60 to 100 ft before your mind even starts to work.

Comment

REALLY! A 1959 Six Cylinder Silver Hawk?

Not being a real Car person, the writer probably mixed up 1/4 Mile time and 0 to 60, which with the right Axle Ratio and lead footed driver could happen.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They forgot to mention it was free falling!
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

My mind and body were blown back in 1969 when my bud invited me to sit in his new 383 Road Runner with TF 727 trans....just putting that beast in "D" and pushing the pedal to the metal caused me to think I was in a NASA rocket leaving the earths atmosphere!!!;l
              Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
              I can flat tell you no stock Studebaker Hawk will run a 7.8 1/4 maybe a 7.8 1/8 mile. 99% of us would have a heart attack if we got put in a 7 sec car. Even a good soild 10 sec car you will cover the first 60 to 100 ft before your mind even starts to work.

Comment

On the subject of HP........do you all realize that a Ford Mustang with 6 cyl puts out a bit over 300 HP??? My lord who needs a big block???:-)

Comment

Maybe with a JATO rocket strapped on!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    REALLY! A 1959 Six Cylinder Silver Hawk?

Not being a real Car person, the writer probably mixed up 1/4 Mile time and 0 to 60, which with the right Axle Ratio and lead footed driver could happen.
                    Strange, that isn't a 1956 Golden Hawk in the photo. I believe StudeRich is correct about the mix up. Maybe the writer got his information from the following:

Speed Age July 1956 Jimmy Reece: "We tested the Chrysler 300B, Chevrolet Corvette, Ford Thunderbird, and Studebaker Golden Hawk, for both acceleration from a standing start through the measured quarter mile and for zero to 60 mph performance. In each case, the Hawk was by far the fastest, taking off with a neck snapping burst of speed that was impressive, to say the least. "
                    Comparison of acceleration

1/4
                    mile - 0-60 mph

17.01 7.8 Golden Hawk
                    17.12 8.4Corvette
                    17.21 8.6 Thunderbird
                    17.80 9.1 Chrysler 300- B

That was the only under, 8 second figure, I've ever seen for a 56J. I'll give Jimmy Reece the benefit of the doubt, but most 0-60 times I've see were in the 8-10 second range, with the manual transmission having the best times.
                    Mechanix Illustrated April 1956 Tom McCahill 0-60 in 9.6 (Ultramatic)
                    Auto Age
                    March 1956 Staff Report 0-60 in 9.0 (Ultramatic)
                    Hot Rod April 1956 Racer Brown 0-60 in 10.0 (Ultramatic)
                    Motor Life January 1956 Ken Fermoyle 0-60 times 9.2 and 9.6 (Ultramatic)
                    Motor Life October 1956 Ken Fermoyle 0-60 in 8.8 (Manual 3 spd)
                    Motorsport Jan-Feb 1956 Bill Holland 0-60 in 9.4 (Ultramatic)
                    Speed Age March 1956 Bill Holland 0-60 in 9.6 (Ultramatic)
                    Speed Age July 1956 Jimmy Reece 0-60 in 7.80 (Manual 3 spd)

You can see all the times, track conditions, transmission, other equipment, and what each driver wrote, at:

Frank
                    Last edited by 56sghor; 09-20-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

What about a Jet Streak 56 GH?

Comment

I don't know what all you slugs are driving, but my 67 Champion Lark with the Ford motor will turn 1/4 mile times in the 7s all day long. And hit 140 in second gear. Sheesh. Ya just gotta keep yer foot in it, that's all.
                        Oh, I forgot... that's after it gets dropped out of the back of a C 130 at 20,000 feet. Minor detail.
                        sals54

Comment

Reading those tests it doesn't sound like the drivers thought the car handled poorly despite its current reputation for being nose heavy.
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
                            What about a Jet Streak 56 GH?
                            Randy, you'd be severely traction-limited. That beautiful Jet Streak '56J needs to be working the spec sheet even more; claiming dealer-installed 4.09 Twin Traction, rear sway bar, Super Hawk traction bars, Gabriel adjustable shocks and a police/taxi floor shift.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

The fastest Stude-engined quarter I recall ever seeing was 9.99, which I still have the vid of, in a GT quite some time ago. It was by the guy in Alabama (whose name escapes me without going back to my old writings and finding it) who got his heads and cam from Jim Lange (the B'ville record holder, not the one who died years ago in the Northeast, as is sometimes confused here).

Comment

Working...
                              X