1964 Challenger production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Challenger production

How many were built with a six cyl.? Thanks.

1964 Challenger 6 cylinder:
    2 dr. sedan 2,122
    4 dr. sedan 2,546
    4 dr. wagon 453

and just for comparison...

1964 Challenger 8 cylinder:
    2 dr. sedan 274
    4 dr. sedan 594
    4 dr. wagon 286

All were U.S. built.

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Comment

1964 Challenger 6 cylinder:
      2 dr. sedan 2,122
      4 dr. sedan 2,546
      4 dr. wagon 453

and just for comparison...

1964 Challenger 8 cylinder:
      2 dr. sedan 274
      4 dr. sedan 594
      4 dr. wagon 286

All were U.S. built.

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

What designates a Challenger a Challenger? In another words, how would I know a Challenger as opposed to a Lark

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

Comment

What designates a Challenger a Challenger? In another words, how would I know a Challenger as opposed to a Lark

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

Comment

quote:Originally posted by loc8tor

Technically, Shawn, all 1964 Challengers are Larks, but not all 1964 Larks are Challengers.

Studebaker wanted to phase out the Lark moniker altogether for 1964, but the dealer council howled, in that they had just come off the best years in a long time with a car called The Studebaker Lark.

So the company compromised and added a little "Lark" insignia to the C-pillar of Challenger sedans, and described the Commander and Challenger models as Lark Commander and Lark Challenger in the showroom brochures. The word Lark did not appear anywhere on either car, and the company really downplayed the Lark name, even on Commanders and Challengers.

The word Challenger appeared in script on the front fenders of Challengers. If the front fender emblems are gone, there are other cues to alert you to the car being a Challenger, but the easiest would be to look at the body tag under the hood, on the upper right (passenger-side) of the cowl.

If the last digit on the top line of the body tag is the numeral 2 and the car is "for sure" a 1964 model, then it is a Challenger...or Lark Challenger, for the die-hard dealers who insisted on it! BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by loc8tor

Technically, Shawn, all 1964 Challengers are Larks, but not all 1964 Larks are Challengers.

Studebaker wanted to phase out the Lark moniker altogether for 1964, but the dealer council howled, in that they had just come off the best years in a long time with a car called The Studebaker Lark.

So the company compromised and added a little "Lark" insignia to the C-pillar of Challenger sedans, and described the Commander and Challenger models as Lark Commander and Lark Challenger in the showroom brochures. The word Lark did not appear anywhere on either car, and the company really downplayed the Lark name, even on Commanders and Challengers.

The word Challenger appeared in script on the front fenders of Challengers. If the front fender emblems are gone, there are other cues to alert you to the car being a Challenger, but the easiest would be to look at the body tag under the hood, on the upper right (passenger-side) of the cowl.

If the last digit on the top line of the body tag is the numeral 2 and the car is "for sure" a 1964 model, then it is a Challenger...or Lark Challenger, for the die-hard dealers who insisted on it! BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Shawn,

What Bob says, (Challenger...the "Biscayne" of Studebakers) plus....Cheaper to restore because of the absence of chrome and trim frills. Not to mention the cheaper interior appointments, including the rubber floor mats in place of carpet. You can "cheap-out" even more by painting the bumpers a dull aluminum finish instead of chrome, some people think it came that way new. See picture below.

Dan Miller
                    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Shawn,

What Bob says, (Challenger...the "Biscayne" of Studebakers) plus....Cheaper to restore because of the absence of chrome and trim frills. Not to mention the cheaper interior appointments, including the rubber floor mats in place of carpet. You can "cheap-out" even more by painting the bumpers a dull aluminum finish instead of chrome, some people think it came that way new. See picture below.

Dan Miller
                      Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Too, Shawn, so you don't get confused: All 1964 Challengers and Commanders came with two headlights ("single" per side) standard equipment. Four headlights (two per side) were a stand-alone, extra-cost option, i.e; not part of a trim package. They were $24.00, regardless of model. BP

Comment

Too, Shawn, so you don't get confused: All 1964 Challengers and Commanders came with two headlights ("single" per side) standard equipment. Four headlights (two per side) were a stand-alone, extra-cost option, i.e; not part of a trim package. They were $24.00, regardless of model. BP

Comment

Thanks, just trying to figure out if the V8 stick 64 in the yard with the Packard is a low production challenger, all I know is that its got an aftermarket tach and floor shifter in it, and its a V8, the owner said it was a 64......

Comment

Thanks, just trying to figure out if the V8 stick 64 in the yard with the Packard is a low production challenger, all I know is that its got an aftermarket tach and floor shifter in it, and its a V8, the owner said it was a 64......

Comment

Working...
                              X