PDA

View Full Version : 1961 Hawk

Cus63
09-17-2018, 05:23 PM
Hello Everyone,
Would like to introduce myself, I live in Australia & about 30 years a go restored a 1963 Lark which was a terrific car, since then have restored many English motorbikes &
recently an Oldsmobile Delta88. I've been thinking of getting back into Stude's & spotted this project car over here, it's a '61 Hawk, as you will see in the pics, I think it's a bit of a Frankenstein,
looks to me like later model rear quarters & earlier model front guards, not sure about the bonnet with no vent. The owner tells me he has a set of fins for the rear quarters, but if I get the
correct tail lights I don't think they will match up with the quarters that are on the car, he tells me that it has the correct quarters, but they look different to me, without the inside curve to
contour the correct tail lights etc, would be interested in your thoughts,

regards, Cus7575875759

70Avanti2
09-17-2018, 06:54 PM
Those are GT Hawk tail light housings. Wont work with fins.

Jerry Forrester
09-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Hello Everyone,
Would like to introduce myself, I live in Australia & about 30 years a go restored a 1963 Lark which was a terrific car, since then have restored many English motorbikes &
recently an Oldsmobile Delta88. I've been thinking of getting back into Stude's & spotted this project car over here, it's a '61 Hawk, as you will see in the pics, I think it's a bit of a Frankenstein,
looks to me like later model rear quarters & earlier model front guards, not sure about the bonnet with no vent. The owner tells me he has a set of fins for the rear quarters, but if I get the
correct tail lights I don't think they will match up with the quarters that are on the car, he tells me that it has the correct quarters, but they look different to me, without the inside curve to
contour the correct tail lights etc, would be interested in your thoughts,

regards, Cus7575875759

The bonnet with no faux vent is probably a '62 GT bonnet. Probably from the same car your tail lights came from.
As far as I know, there's only two different rear quarters for '53 through '64 C-K's. The '53-61 all use the same rear quarters and all the GT's use the other one. The only difference in them is at the very top end where the GT tail light (which is what you have) butts up against the top of the quarter and body.

Cus63
09-17-2018, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the replies,
hard question to answer I know, but do you think it's a worthwhile project if restored as is, it's a bit of a Bitza, but could turn out OK in the end,

regards, Cus

r1lark
09-17-2018, 08:29 PM
Cus, that's a decent looking car. Looks straight, and the chrome looks nice (at least in the pics).

Some of us think that Hawks look good with the fins removed............:woot:

StudeRich
09-17-2018, 09:51 PM
I see they made it comply with the Australian and some other Country requirements with separate Turn Signals from the Stop lights, using Amber Export '62-'64 Back-up light Lenses, looks good, but different from our's.

TWChamp
09-17-2018, 10:06 PM
I think it would look fine restored with what you have, and I'd say the value is what it's worth to you.

alpayed
09-17-2018, 10:16 PM
Hi Cus63.
I have a set of fins and tail light bits if you want to put them back.
Allan.

drrotor
09-18-2018, 12:24 AM
Cus— the fins will definitely fit those quarters, and when properly fitted, they cover the existing tail light mount pads with a wider flange. This is, then, where the earlier Hawk tail light body attaches. The ‘57-‘61 tail lights are all interchangeable and are wider than the ‘62-‘64 lights on the car you have pictured. Other than drilling mounting holes into those quarters to fit the fins, no other modifications would be required to mount the ‘61 fins, chrome, and lights. Be sure you have tail lights, and chrome fin caps handy when you fit the fins so that you can get everything to line up properly.
You would also need to get a pair of “fin strips” from Classic Enterprises to hold down the inboard edges of the fins.75782757837578475785

stude dude
09-18-2018, 02:38 AM
5K seems very reasonable for a decent Hawk project in Australia. I wouldn't waste to much time thinking about it or someone will beat you too it!

candbstudebakers
09-18-2018, 10:12 AM
As a person that has send many hawks to Australia and New Zealand the fin hawks are the most wanted and sell the easiest and best, if you were to get this one it might be worth more down the road as a fin hawk, the fins and tail lights are not that hard to come by and I see some one over there has the fins, he might even have the tail light housing and fin caps, lenses are reproduced so no problem there. just from your two pictures it is a little hard to see if much of the other items needed is there, side trim ect. good luck on what ever you do, never had a hard time selling a fin hawk over seas.

whitehawk759
09-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Interesting looking Hawk, looks fine now but as others have said original looks good as well. Good luck!

Cus63
09-20-2018, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the replies, also great to know some Aussie members out there. Well looks like it’s a deal, will pick the car up next weekend, will send some pics when I have it in my shed. Comes with lots of spares, which will be interesting, will need advice & parts down the line, so look forward to chatting to you all soon, regards, Cus

packard352
09-20-2018, 02:00 PM
Hi Cus, if you’re on Facebook, it would be worth looking out Chris Skinner ~ think he maybe Melbourne way, but not 100%. Chris is a Stude guy, selling some parts and plenty of knowledge in Oz - good luck with the project and look forward to seeing your progress

doug
09-20-2018, 03:27 PM
Check the SDC website for Club members in your area. Look up chapters.

StudeNewby
09-20-2018, 08:16 PM
Here's the link for local chapters, Cus. Welcome aboard and happy Studebakering!
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/chapters.asp

Cus63
09-21-2018, 05:35 PM
Thanks for that,
Will definitely need some more info how to attach those fins. He has the fins, the chrome end fin pieces & one correct tail light, so it's a good start. I pick everything up next week, will have lots to do before even getting to the fin section.
Is any welding involved in fitting?

regards, Cus

Cus— the fins will definitely fit those quarters, and when properly fitted, they cover the existing tail light mount pads with a wider flange. This is, then, where the earlier Hawk tail light body attaches. The ‘57-‘61 tail lights are all interchangeable and are wider than the ‘62-‘64 lights on the car you have pictured. Other than drilling mounting holes into those quarters to fit the fins, no other modifications would be required to mount the ‘61 fins, chrome, and lights. Be sure you have tail lights, and chrome fin caps handy when you fit the fins so that you can get everything to line up properly.
You would also need to get a pair of “fin strips” from Classic Enterprises to hold down the inboard edges of the fins.75782757837578475785

Cus63
10-01-2018, 05:48 PM
So after a 2000 Km round trip, have now got the Stude. Also picked up a lot of parts inc. many 62 parts.
Have a few parts doubled up & a few missing, so will be on the hunt when I work it all out,

raprice
10-01-2018, 07:32 PM
I kinda like it without the fins. Actually, it's a nice looking car and it appears to be in good shape. The important thing is, do you want it for the monetary value it could bring,or do you want the car to drive and enjoy. That's up to you. Enjoy!!!
Rog

studegary
10-01-2018, 09:20 PM
As discussed, the car appears to have a variety of parts. Are you sure the base car is a 1961 model? What are the Serial Number and body plate information?

RadioRoy
10-01-2018, 09:36 PM
Why does it have fins in one picture and no fins in another picture?

Cus63
10-01-2018, 10:22 PM
Yes, has a 61 serial number, no body number though

Cus63
10-01-2018, 10:24 PM
The fins were removed some time a go, the seller had acquired replacements, they are just sitting on the rear quarters,
I will restore to original, has a different dash also, I have the original one, but like the one in it,

studegary
10-01-2018, 10:33 PM
The fins were removed some time a go, the seller had acquired replacements, they are just sitting on the rear quarters,
I will restore to original, has a different dash also, I have the original one, but like the one in it,

As you likely know, 1961 Hawks had a stripe, between two stainless trim strips at the base of the fin, that was painted Pearl Beige.

Cus63
10-02-2018, 01:21 AM
The Original colour of my car is white, so I think I will do that stripe red

As you likely know, 1961 Hawks had a stripe, between two stainless trim strips at the base of the fin, that was painted Pearl Beige.

Steve Winzar
10-02-2018, 03:54 AM
Cus63- Mate you got a bargain there!. I'm up to my armpits in unfinshed Studebaker projects otherwiseI would have bought that one in a heartbeat!
Well done spotting that one :!:
Steve SCCA Melbourne
1961 Hawk
1962 GT
Avanti II RQb 3269

studegary
10-02-2018, 07:50 PM
The Original colour of my car is white, so I think I will do that stripe red

Especially on white cars, some dealers painted the fin stripe to match the interior color before they ever put the car up for sale. Of course this leads some people to think that they were built that way.

stude dude
12-15-2018, 09:58 AM
Yes, has a 61 serial number, no body number though

Australian assembled 1961 Hawks did not have a body number. Just the serial member on the LH door hinge pillar. Apart from the later GT Hawk dash most of what I can see is fairly typical of a locally assembled Hawk. I think you are off to a great start!