Engine rapping noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine rapping noise

I Have developed a sharp rapping noise from my 64 Hawk engine! It comes and goes mostly at lower rpms and it quite loud. Almost like a very loud paint can rattle. It also seems to come and go as I go around curves as if the engine is shifting a bit. It also is most pronounced at idle with car not moving but also comes and goes then. Help please! Thanks to all. M.hopinfox. Kennesaw, Ga.

Fan hitting the shroud because of a broken mount or cracked flex plate ?

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 wagon
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Will check for fan/shroud contact. How do I check flex plate? Thanks

Comment

Inspect it through the hole in the right side of the Torque Converter Housing by removing the stone shield. This is only going to happen with an Automatic Trans.

It also could be the throttle pressure control valve rattling, because of low Trans. Oil or improperly adjusted pressure rod which can be caused by worn rear engine (Trans) mounts.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If it were an Avanti, I'd say the left exhaust manifold was hitting the steering box. Check the exhaust carefully. Hold the brakes and load the torque converter. Have someone standing clear look for fan, exhaust and other interference.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. It is an automatic and the Transmission is in need of service. There is a local mechanic familiar with these cars and will look at it in a few days. Thanks to all. I'll report on cause/fix. M.hopinfox

Comment

Working...
            X