Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonable Highway Speed

Hi friends,

just one question with which you might help me: What would be a good highway speed for a longer distance trip (1.300 miles from Germany to Sweden and back) for my car. As you might already know, I do own a 1949 Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe (www.starlight-coupe.com - in german) with a 170-ci-R6 and a three-speed-transmission with overdrive. Normally I do constantly drive around 55 to 60 mph... Could I drive faster than that or should I leave it like this?

Best regards,

Bjoern

If it is legal to drive it 65 and you feel confident that the stopping distance is adequate at that speed, keeping in mind that drivers of newer cars have way better brakes and pre 1954 Studebaker brakes leave a lot to be desired, then by all means take it up to 65.

If this trip involves any steep hills or mountain driving that may not be such good advice!

Do watch the Temp. gauge though, and at the slightest increase from normal, you need to slow down.

Also be sure you are familiar with the procedure of flooring it when in O.D. and pulling out the O.D. handle to gain down hill deceleration or emergency stopping assist to the brakes.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Years ago, when I first bought my 52 Champion I only drove it 50 to 55 MPH on the highway. Finally on one trip on a 4-lane highway I tried driving 70 MPH. I found that with the overdrive the car actually ran cooler and could keep up with the other cars just fine.
      I do agree about the brakes. Leave yourself plenty of "living room" to get a Champion with stock brakes stopped.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Don't know...but when I drive my 54 (currently a flat head 6!) 54 wagon...the gas pedal is on or very near the floor! And that's just normally keeping up with traffic...in the 65mph range.

No problems so far.

Mike

Comment

One of the many reasons owning one Champion 6-cyl was one too many for me, was when asked to keep up with 65-70 mph traffic, mine sucked so much oil past the valve guides, in modern green Europe, that level of oil consumption would be technically illegal. If yours has had the valves and guides replaced to snug specs, your results may vary.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

In the early 1990s I bought a flat-six, 1960 Lark with 40,000 miles on it. It was in great shape and ran smooth as silk. I tried commuting 130 miles to & from work from Fort Knox, KY but anything over 60 mph, sustained was too much for it. The temp gage would creep up to about 3/4 of the way over, where it would begin to detonate. Then it was either slow down to 50-55 or damage the engine. At first it had the stock 3.73 rear dif, and I later swapped in a 3.31 but still had the same results. Also, the mpg was about the same as a stude V8. I enventually found it a new home, since the only way I could have used it to commute would have been to drive in the emergency lane with (non-stock) flashers on.
            Just my experience.
            Joe H

Comment

Joe; Ahhh, but you were missing the secret Studebaker ingredient...Overdrive! [:0]

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A fellow Manhattan Studebaker Chapter member has a 49 Champion and he reguralry drives it on our Interstates and Parkways at or above the posted speed limits. In the metro NY area it is between 55 mph and 65 mph depending on population. While I never had a Champion, my 47 Commander felt comfortable at 65/70. Since your car has OD there would not be a lot of strain on the engine. To be on the cautious side, since I assume you do not have the luxury of folks along the route your are taking to assist you in the event of trouble, I would suggest 55 to 60 to keep it safe. The biggest issue would be brakes and the amount of steep hills/mountains you will need to climb and then go down.

Sounds like a once in a life time trip, take it slow, take in all the sights and enjoy the ride.

Comment

The overdrive is definitely the key here. Without the overdrive my 4:56 geared 52 would be a snail on the highway or blow up very shortly. With overdrive it just runs and runs on an interstate. Of course, there are sometimes hills that will pull your speed down, but freewheeling down the other side makes up for it.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BigB

Hi friends,
                    just one question with which you might help me: What would be a good highway speed for a longer distance trip (1.300 miles from Germany to Sweden and back) for my car. As you might already know, I do own a 1949 Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe (www.starlight-coupe.com - in german) with a 170-ci-R6 and a three-speed-transmission with overdrive. Normally I do constantly drive around 55 to 60 mph... Could I drive faster than that or should I leave it like this?
                    This thread might be interesting re Champion speed.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                    Museum R-4 engine
                    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Hi friends,

thanks for all your statements... I think, I'll try something between 55 and 60 to keep my trip safe...

If anything goes fine, I'll post some pics afterwards... But it's still some time to go, because it will be at the end of may.

Thanks again,

Bjoern

Comment

Hi friends,

Best regards,

Bjoern

Terry, North Texas
                        1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
                        (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
                        This website is for sale! sterkel.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sterkel.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
                        1999 Toyota rice burner
                        1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.
                        I will continue to respond, to the best of my ability, to any query,
                        challenge or alternative view relevant to my original post.
                        I will not respond to anything off (the original) topic...

Comment

brakes, brakes, brakes!
                          I would not take it over 60 mph.

Hi friends,

Best regards,

Bjoern

Terry, North Texas
                          1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
                          (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
                          This website is for sale! sterkel.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sterkel.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
                          1999 Toyota rice burner
                          1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.
                          I will continue to respond, to the best of my ability, to any query,
                          challenge or alternative view relevant to my original post.
                          I will not respond to anything off (the original) topic...

Comment

Dont see how the 49 brakes should be a problem if you allow for time. Used to run the 54 when it was stock past 90 and it had 4.88s with OD and had no problems stopping. Driving the speed he wants he should have no problems but I would ajust the brakes before I left and agin once I got there.....only take a few minutes.

I keep an extra brake spoon in my rigs that have manual brakes so when I feel the pedal a bit lower then it should be I toss down an old piece of canvas and ajust the brakes. It only takes a few minutes.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                            61 V8 Tcab
                            61 Tcab 20R powered
                            55 Commander Wagon
                            54 Champion Wagon
                            46 Gibson Model A
                            50 JD MC
                            If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                            61 V8 Tcab
                            63 Tcab 20R powered
                            55 Commander Wagon
                            54 Champion Wagon
                            46 Gibson Model A
                            50 JD MC
                            45 Agricat
                            67 Triumph T100
                            66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Sorry Studebakerkid, but that doesn't quite work! You have to know the reason I warned him about the brakes, a '49 thru '53 does not have Bendix style star wheel adjusters! It has the old Wagner-Lockheed dual eccentric stud & lock bolt adjuster type, press and Pray brakes! You can't use a brake spoon.[:0]

These are not nearly as effective as '54 to '66 Wagner (Bendix style) Brakes, and have smaller drums, 9 in. on all 4. Also with 4.09 or 4.56 gears it is slightly harder to stop than with your 4.88's![:0]

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X