Show Your Studebaker and Don't Leave Early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show Your Studebaker and Don't Leave Early

The local VFW club hosts a small antique car show the first Wednesday of the month during the summer. Last Wednesday was the last one for this year, so I drove my 1950 Land Cruiser there. The show runs from 4 until 8 PM, and they draw a few numbers for door prizes, such as a $25 gas coupon, or a free oil change. The guy's number drawn for the oil change had left early, so they drew again, and drew my number.

Too bad it didn't include the lube job, because my Studebaker lube chart shows something like 54 places to be lubed.

Agree, those who leave early always miss something.

Reading the title, I thought this was going to be about the IM. I was amazed at the number of members who left immediately after the judging of their class.

The Saturday show had its problems but was still worth staying over until the end. Advertised as an "all makes" show, those at the gate were seen turning away other makes. While the class arrangements on the show field weren't strictly followed, it was very helpful to see several similar car/trucks lined up. Those who aren't ninth degree black belt experts are able to compare and contrast.

Several of the most interesting cars for some reason came in at the last of the show. Maybe they didn't have a "display" pass? (Who'd build a $100,000 car and not spend $10 to display it? Might not have been the money, just they didn't bother to register?)

Speaking of which, it's great to observe the CASO tradition lives on. Several attended but wouldn't pay for IM registration and some who registered wouldn't pay the $10 for "display only" and parked down in the outdoor swap meet lot.

All in all, a great IM and it is to be hoped lessons learned are passed on to the 2019 committee.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      Agree, those who leave early always miss something.

Reading the title, I thought this was going to be about the IM. I was amazed at the number of members who left immediately after the judging of their class.

The Saturday show had its problems but was still worth staying over until the end. Advertised as an "all makes" show, those at the gate were seen turning away other makes. While the class arrangements on the show field weren't strictly followed, it was very helpful to see several similar car/trucks lined up. Those who aren't ninth degree black belt experts are able to compare and contrast.

Several of the most interesting cars for some reason came in at the last of the show. Maybe they didn't have a "display" pass? (Who'd build a $100,000 car and not spend $10 to display it? Might not have been the money, just they didn't bother to register?)

Speaking of which, it's great to observe the CASO tradition lives on. Several attended but wouldn't pay for IM registration and some who registered wouldn't pay the $10 for "display only" and parked down in the outdoor swap meet lot.

All in all, a great IM and it is to be hoped lessons learned are passed on to the 2019 committee.

jack vines
      How ridiculous it is to have to pay to display ones car. jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

jimmi -

Someone's gotta help pay the bills..!

Mike

Comment

They should be paying us!
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

Charge the spectators instead of car owners. All these shows have it backwards. Imaging going to a ballgame for free and them charging the players to play for us?

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
              Charge the spectators instead of car owners. All these shows have it backwards. Imaging going to a ballgame for free and them charging the players to play for us?
              That's exactly how it should be in both examples. I never have and never will pay to show my car, and I never have and never will pay to see some overpaid guy play with a ball. Imagine getting paid millions a year to play, while the working stiff gets low pay for working hard.

Comment

Good luck with that concept. Even the major Concours shows expect the displaying cars to make a contribution for the charity. As for a marque club event I don't see how they could ever cover the expenses from paying spectators. I have been to a lot of these and there are so few casual spectators you couldn't cover the printing. If you want the events to be successful and the club to be strong the members need to support the event with their cars and their wallets.

Comment

Working...
                X