1964 Studebaker Daytona qualifies on the first row at Goodwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Studebaker Daytona qualifies on the first row at Goodwood

For anyone interested in the Goodwood Revival, they live-streamed all the qualifying sessions, and in the field for the St. Mary's Trophy for sedans or "saloon" cars as they call them in the UK, a '64 Daytona qualified 3rd, behind two Ford Lotus Cortinas, and in front of 27 other cars. The St. Mary's trophy races are a 2 day pro-am class, with the pros racing tomorrow and the amateurs taking the wheel on Sunday. The results are an aggregate of the finishing on both days.

If anyone wants to tune in, here's the you tube link: https://youtu.be/pr-L5Kj8_ns

They stream live from 8am-7pm UK time, then repeat the day after. Great show if you have any interest in historic racing. This trip is on my bucket list, for sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	26194857335_3dc81026e1_b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1759402
    Last edited by voxnut; 09-07-2018, 02:42 PM.
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

That is really great exposure and a heck of an accomplishment. I was around vintage racing in the states for awhile and I know what Studebakers can and can't do as well as a Cortina. WOW!

Comment

I was around vintage racing in the states for awhile and I know what Studebakers can and can't do as well as a Cortina.
      Yep; what the Daytona can't do is weigh 1800#. Corners reward lightness and punish that additional 1000#; and there are many corners at Goodwood.

Any info if it is a 289" or a 259"?

jack vines
      Last edited by PackardV8; 09-07-2018, 04:02 PM.
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Yep; what the Daytona can't do is weigh 1800#. Corners reward lightness and punish that additional 1000#; and there are many corners at Goodwood.

Any info if it is a 289" or a 259"?

jack vines
        Good question, Jack.

It's a long and interesting video to watch, and I did not watch all of it. I believe I heard the announcer say the Daytona had, "A 260 cubic inch Chevy engine." I hope I'm wrong, so if someone watches the entire three hours and finds out differently, please post a correction. It wasn't that clear.

('Nice meeting you at Tacoma.) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The announcer also said it was a 1963 Daytona as well, so I'm not putting a lot of stock into his info. I'm not even sure how you would build a 260 Chevy, and if you could, why you would in a group that doesn't have a cubic inch limitation. I'll search the net and see if I can find specs on the car in question.

Found it: it has a 283 Chevy in it. Rats.
          Last edited by voxnut; 09-07-2018, 04:46 PM.
          Dean Seavers
          Sacramento, CA

Comment

They also have the car listed as a Studebaker Daytona 500, so whatever these 'announcers' say, I'm still happy to see it come in 4th in another ? race...

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Good question, Jack.

It's a long and interesting video to watch, and I did not watch all of it. I believe I heard the announcer say the Daytona had, "A 260 cubic inch Chevy engine." I hope I'm wrong, so if someone watches the entire three hours and finds out differently, please post a correction. It wasn't that clear.

('Nice meeting you at Tacoma.) BP
              Her you go Bob..

2018-09-07_17-53-18

Saved for austerity..

"Studebaker has a smaller, small block engine, 260 "Chev".. around 4.5 liter.."

Comment

In the states, you can have a 'slight over bore'. I guess it all depends on the rules over there. Maybe it is a 259, but who cares? GO Stude!

Comment

I’ve got o get myself to the Goodwood festival. I have a friend there and can’t wait to hear the stories when he gets back.

Comment

Matt Neal 2nd Place in a Studebaker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wru5CPm4H1A

Highlightable Quote: "The finest saloon car racing you'll find on the planet. And these cars are going on 60 years old!"

Does anyone know the specification rules for this class? I searched quite a bit but couldn't find anything specific. In some ways they seem to resemble Trans Am cars from the 60's/70's. Stock floor pan, stock "like" suspension and relatively minor engine mods. The tires seemed to be rather narrow by today's standards. Great racing that was very close and yet such diversity in the field.
                    Last edited by wittsend; 09-08-2018, 08:28 PM.
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Thanks for the post. It's not often we get to see a Studebaker charging for 2nd place on any track. Amazing how flat both the Stude and Ford were in the corners. More info if you find it please.
                      Bill

Comment

Working...
                      X