PDA

View Full Version : 50th Tri-State Meet

Bamajak
09-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Great time for a trip to the mountains................

r1lark
09-05-2018, 10:44 PM
I'll see you there! :!!:

jclary
09-06-2018, 07:47 PM
Oh Boy! The very first SDC event I ever attended was this one in the mid-1970’s! I returned from “NAM” November 5, 1968, conned my way into college in late 1969, married new years day ‘71, graduated college in ‘73, became a father in ‘74, and bought my first Studebaker (‘55 pickup) in 1975!

It was the summer of ‘75 that I learned there was an organization called the Studebaker Drivers Club. I believe it was David Walker (Chesnee SC), who invited me to attend. So, I showed up. What a sight! My wife, a nurse, had to work that weekend, so here I was, infant daughter (diaper bag & all), wide-eyed, like a deer in the headlights, clueless, and not knowing what to expect! Thanks to Sandra Walker for taking charge and rescuing Jenifer. She took pity on her and provided appropriate care for my little girl as I made new friends and began my journey into the Studebaker experience! It was at this first event that I managed to find (and afford to buy) one hubcap. There were only three on my truck when I bought it.

Last year, I took parts and sold enough to pay for my expenses. I am hoping to make it this time, but a late summer cold has sidelined me and delayed preparations. My mom (97) is in a nearby nursing facility, and I never know when I need to make a dash over there. In addition, my high-school class of ‘63 is having our annual dinner on the same weekend. Out of about 48, our numbers are dwindling. It is 105 miles from Maggie Valley, and I would like to attend both, but I think I’ll have to choose one or the other.
The sad part is that within both groups... two SDC members, and two of my classmates are no longer with us.:( In a way, each of these gatherings represents Life-Launch contributions for my life's journey. For now, my intent is to show up at Maggie Valley, as long as my health and circumstances will allow.

While the exact venue for this meet has varied through the years, and it is called the TRI-STATE...there have been visitors from the four corners of our nation! The current location is great! The organizers are great, and in my experience, the fun always exceeds any complaints. Last year, because the highways were clogged up with the residents of Florida and Georgia evacuating from the path of a hurricane, we still managed to have a blast once we got there. So, if you are longing for an escape from the long hot summer, and wishing for a few hours among like-minded Studebaker friends...pack a bag, hop in your favorite vehicle (we welcome all), and enjoy the fun.:!:

Below, are two scanned photos of my first Tri-State meets. The one with my daughter in the little hoodie was the first. I have no clue whose Avanti that is. The next was someone’s 192? sedan. Jennifer and I both fell in love with it. There were several other pre-war cars there even more elaborate than this one, but I don’t have those pictures handy. If you have never attended, or if it’s been a long time...find a way...you too can have some cherished memories!:cheers:

1975754831976 75484

Linda White
09-06-2018, 08:09 PM
Hope you can join us. Bring Jennifer! Love the pictures and your great memories. If you make it to Tri-State,can you bring these pictures for our Memoriablia display? Let us know if you need us to print them. These are the stories that help us remember and celebrate the 50 years of this meet .

DEEPNHOCK
09-07-2018, 08:25 AM
Have fun next weekend!

40% to 60% chance of thunderstorms Fri/Sat/Sun

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USNC0411

JRoberts
09-07-2018, 08:48 AM
Have fun this weekend!

....or 60% to 40% chance of thunderstorms.....:!!:

The green car has been wet before.

jclary
09-07-2018, 09:27 AM
Hope you can join us. Bring Jennifer! Love the pictures and your great memories. If you make it to Tri-State,can you bring these pictures for our Memoriablia display? Let us know if you need us to print them. These are the stories that help us remember and celebrate the 50 years of this meet .

Thanks for your kind comments, Linda! You inspired me to dig a little deeper in my clutter of pics. WOW!!!:ohmy: Look at what I just found!:) Here's a picture of our beloved recently departed George Reitenour! I can't think of a better memory tribute than to see him in his element.:) Sitting next to his '36 Coupe, relaxed with an album of his exploits, and underneath, a wonderful collection of watches in that display case! I believe a couple of these shots were on the field when we held the event in Black Mountain, N.C.

Then, there's the time the Schrock brothers showed up with their rolling sculpture of art expressed as a Studebaker Boattail Roadster! My Polaroid snapshot does not do it justice, but even so, the excellence of their craftsmanship comes through. It is a testament to the fact that if you are going to modify something...do it well...and it possesses admiration and value without explanation. While I doubt that they remember, I had a brief discussion with them regarding restoration & bodywork in which they gave me a few pointers that have served me well through the years.:)

Be sure to click on each pic if you'd like to see them larger and in more detail.

Linda, I don't know if I can get the pics presentable in time for the meet. (I know...I've only had a year:rolleyes:) I used to have them sorta organized in an album I would bring to meets, but after having a few pics pilfered, I got a little discouraged and the album has become a bit tattered & disorganized.:( You are welcome to copy the pics from here and print them as you wish. If there is a problem, PM me and we'll try to work something out.:)

75489 75490 75491

Bamajak
09-07-2018, 10:19 AM
We will have fun..............The NCSDC and surrounding club members are the most dedicated I know. It would be easy to stay home and worry about the weather but our Tri-State family will crank up and head to the mountains. Weather can cause a local club to lose thousands of dollars spent up front to put on these big meets. Hope to see everyone in Maggie Valley September 14th and 15th.
Jack White
NCSDC

Have fun this weekend!

Linda White
09-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Jeff, Our meet is next weekend. A little early for reliable forecast but looks much better than this weekend. Let's all hope for great weather.

DEEPNHOCK
09-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Yes'm...
Keep an eye out for 94L and Florence....and.....

Jeff, Our meet is next weekend. A little early for reliable forecast but looks much better than this weekend. Let's all hope for great weather.

DEEPNHOCK
09-08-2018, 10:57 AM
As a longtime resident of the SE...
Don't take any of this lightly.
This will affect the Tri-State Meet.
Probably not anything significant, but it does require attention, and planning.
Remember Hurricane Floyd, and the damage it did in Charlotte?
Asheviile (Maggie Valley) is only 100 miles away, and that is nothing to a hurricane.
All I am suggesting is to plan accordingly.
Ask the resort if you can stay a few more days. Pack some extra goodies if the power grid goes down.
I'd rather be in Maggie Valley than Savannah if it gets ugly...
But it is our club members that are important....

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/41252297_2163115203762698_6036036103088111616_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=027160439422f846f52dcc13b221905f&oe=5BEE44D8

Bamajak
09-08-2018, 11:16 AM
No rain or wind from Floyd...............

jclary
09-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Today, already steamer hot, I am still a bit down on energy as I recover from this blasted summer cold. However, I pulled the old Stude pickup-bed trailer out of the weeds and began prepping it to haul a few parts to the meet. I have a contingency plan. If I get my '55 truck serviced & ready...I'm tempted to install a couple of 6-volt bulbs in the taillights on the trailer and use my six cylinder powered E-5 to pull the trailer to the meet. If the weather looks too bad, I can still use the Dodge truck.

To make the load lighter, I have eliminated the two old military wooden ammo boxes that were heavier than the parts stored in them. Also, replaced the old worn & tattered cardboard boxes that held parts. I've consolidated six boxes of parts into three plastic containers. For me, it is only about 100 miles away, depending on which route (s) I use to avoid interstate traffic. So, unless it is complete weather mayhem, my plan is to be there unless some other unforeseen problems come up.

One additional suggestion would be for someone to provide a phone contact to those on the road who might be in need of help along the way. If for nothing more than discussing options of how to deal with a breakdown, or contact point for members willing to assist. Just a thought. Not that we are obligated to provide "babysitter service," but sometimes, a little sympathetic word of encouragement is a big help.

Sam Ensley
09-10-2018, 11:37 AM
We are going to be there. Our grandchildren will not be with us this year. Their parents had planned a trip to Atlanta and a Braves game. Plan of doing a little music Saturday night with Studebaker songs. Sad that this will be the first year without Ernie Padget whose acquaintance I made at the Tri-state meet several years ago and became a very good friend. Guess I might need to bring a tarp because I'm driving the convertible. It hasn't been in a heavy rain since it was painted. Hope to ee all the old friends there. (Matt, I hope you bring the Land Cruiser.)

StudeNewby
09-10-2018, 01:10 PM
If Florence doesn't wash us away, I'm still planning on being there...although driving Stuey is somewhat weather-dependant.

Ron Dame
09-11-2018, 09:22 AM
At this point, it may not be too bad on Saturday
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/nc/maggie-valley?cm_ven=localwx_10day

DEEPNHOCK
09-11-2018, 09:45 AM
Hope the models stay true.
20, to 30 MPH winds and a couple inches of rain...
Fingers crossed for you people!

Bamajak
09-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Hope the models stay true.
20, to 30 MPH winds and a couple inches of rain...
Fingers crossed for you people!

Jeff looks like it may come your way. We have room for you at Maggie Valley if things get bad for you.
Jack

jclary
09-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Jeff looks like it may come your way. We have room for you at Maggie Valley if things get bad for you.
Jack

Hey Jack, be sure to drive the Studemino...we could use the bed for the community hot tub!:!:

r1lark
09-12-2018, 04:53 PM
If I had one of those amphibious Weasels I'd sure bring it - may need it with all the rain we gonna get. :)

jclary
09-12-2018, 08:10 PM
Well...I had thoughts of driving this rig to the meet. But, I really have not had the time to do all the maintenance work, servicing, cleaning that would make it presentable and give me the confidence to make the 95-mile journey. The old trailer was rescued from a field of weeds decades ago. Even in its sun faded condition, it is still in much better condition than it was back then.

75660 75661

The truck had developed a gas leak at the filler neck where it goes into the tank. I spent two days attempting to patch that. Not that every minute or hour was used on the project, but I kept having to steal a few moments here and there between other chores & errands. Before removing the seat & seat back, I had to set up sawhorses in a safe place to keep them while they were out of the truck. Then, when working around a fuel tank, gas fumes, etc., I spent some time rigging up lighting so I could see what I was doing without blowing up the barn. Once I had that leak sealed up, I topped off the tank only to discover the gasket for the gas gauge sending unit was leaking too! So, the project just got bigger. More time to make a new gasket, remove the sending unit, screws, copper washers, button it back up, test for leaks, and then put everything back together. Uggh!:( Ninety degrees and 77% humidity didn't make it any easier!:QQ: Having a good time is a lot of work!:p

Last year, we were facing an approaching hurricane too. Some folks may have forgotten, but last year almost the entire population of Georgia and Florida were clogging up our interstates evacuating from a hurricane. I pulled this trailer to the meet with my Dodge truck and sold some parts I have held onto for too long. I figured that if the weather was too bad to bring my nice Studebaker truck, at least by pulling the Studebaker trailer, I would have something to show for my efforts. Although this old trailer is battered and bruised, folks seemed to love it.:)

As it turned out, last year's meet was some of the best weather we ever had at the Tri-state meet. I got up that Sunday morning and made the trip down out of the mountains and not until I pulled into my yard did I get the first drop of rain. This time, the forecasts are more ominous, but I am hoping for a similar outcome to last year. Thankfully, I have organized my parts down to a more compact package, and if needed, I can load them all into the back of the Dodge and still make it...even if I come Studebakerless. Perhaps, I can help someone needing the forgotten part I have unknowingly taken for granted and stored just for the moment they uncover it in all my clutter & disorganization.:)

StudeNewby
09-13-2018, 07:34 PM
Well, I had hoped to be headed to Maggie tomorrow, but Florence had other ideas. Even though Raleigh appears out of the main storm path now, my job as a radio news reporter will keep me busy at least through Saturday. So, best of luck to all who can make it there, and to everyone in harm's way the next few days. My prayers are with all of you.

jclary
09-13-2018, 08:05 PM
Well, I had hoped to be headed to Maggie tomorrow, but Florence had other ideas. Even though Raleigh appears out of the main storm path now, my job as a radio news reporter will keep me busy at least through Saturday. So, best of luck to all who can make it there, and to everyone in harm's way the next few days. My prayers are with all of you.

Aw c'mon Mike...they could use a roving reporter! You hear 'em all the time reporting by cell phone. You could bring real-time news of evacuation routes, and interviews with folks escaping the storm and so forth. Just because you stumble across a few Studebaker friends in the process is not your fault.;):!:

r1lark
09-13-2018, 08:32 PM
Michele and I will make our final decision in the morning as to whether we are going or not. If we are going to get 15+ inches of rain and high winds in the Triad, we are real leery about leaving the house unoccupied. While we can't stop damage, at least if we are home we can temporarily secure it (versus coming back after 3 days and finding damage). Looks like even if we do come, it will be in a brand F.

I've done quite a bit of work to the '54 sedan, and was looking forward to bringing it since this same car (when owned by Bruce Jones) was at some of the Lake Junaluska Tri-State Meets in the early to mid-'70s. Got it looking better (50 footer now instead of a 100 footer :)), added a 3rd brake light, got the rear seat back in with slick new Mexican blanket upholstery, even a few pieces of new chrome. Darn. :(

mbstude
09-14-2018, 07:11 PM
I guess it's been about 6 years or so since I was at the Tri-State meet. We went to a few of them when I was a kid; the ones in Asheville were probably my favorites of all the meets my grandparents took me to.

If I wasn't so busy this weekend, I'd already be there. I'll put it on the calendar for next year. :)

jclary
09-14-2018, 09:28 PM
I arrived sometime after 2pm. I drove brand X. I was pleased to see several Studebaker’s in the parking lot. After some fellowship and renewed friendships l checked in at the motel. By the time I registered for the meet Linda said I was the 27th one and there were others waiting. Others have driven brand X cars but considering the circumstances I am encouraged by the turnout.:)

StudeNewby
09-15-2018, 05:10 PM
Aw c'mon Mike...they could use a roving reporter! You hear 'em all the time reporting by cell phone. You could bring real-time news of evacuation routes, and interviews with folks escaping the storm and so forth. Just because you stumble across a few Studebaker friends in the process is not your fault.;):!:

John, believe me, I would have much rather have been roving around Maggie Valley instead of stuck in a studio! Hope everyone is having fun and all are safe back home, too.

pckelly44
09-15-2018, 07:23 PM
Wish I could have made it up for my first Stude meet, but with two young kids at home and power issues we seem to always have during a storm like this I elected to stay home. Next year!

jclary
09-15-2018, 08:43 PM
John, believe me, I would have much rather have been roving around Maggie Valley instead of stuck in a studio! Hope everyone is having fun and all are safe back home, too.

Yeah Mike, I know. We'll just look forward to your participation next year.:) Overall, I thought it was a great meet considering the circumstances. I was really impressed at the young couple whose real last name is Studebaker who showed up in a 1949 C cab pickup they had driven all the way from Fort Wayne Indiana. We had visitors from Florida, Alabama, Illinois, Ohio, in addition to the usual nearby states. In fact, unless my hearing failed me, I think we had one participant from N.J. and one from New York. I only had 84 miles to drive, but others required a much greater effort and I am really impressed! Lots of us drove brand X (including me) but we still managed to have some great Studebaker participation.

After returning home, I had just enough time to do some chores, feed my animals, take a quick shower, and drive about 60 miles northeast for a reunion dinner with my high-school class of '63. I think it's the first time I ever drove through a hurricane for a little fellowship with old (and I mean old) friends.(Slight exaggeration for drama:rolleyes:)

Actually, what we're getting here is mainly tropical feeder band rain showers. The main body of what remains of the hurricane has not really reached us yet. For me, it's been a long day...but a fun day.:)