PDA

View Full Version : A question for the forum about 1964 Studebaker Daytona for Sale at Hemmings

bumpkinvilledano
09-04-2018, 10:20 AM
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/studebaker/daytona/2154107.html

Does the listed VIN look correct?

r1lark
09-04-2018, 10:33 AM
The ad shows the VIN as "Ac28450" which is not correct. The Studebaker serial number should start with "64V". That could be an assigned VIN, some US state department of motor vehicles do this if there are title issues.

If you are interested in the car, there may be a good explanation for this - mistake, etc. A discussion with the seller may clear it up.

StudeRich
09-04-2018, 10:50 AM
I would want some documentation that this is a real R2 Super Lark, an R2 equipped Daytona, or a CLONE R2, especially with that Column Shift Transmission and DRUM Brakes in a '64! :ohmy:

It's REAL Serial Number would provide more info.

bumpkinvilledano
09-04-2018, 11:21 AM
I would want some documentation that this is a real R2 Super Lark, an R2 equipped Daytona, or a CLONE R2, especially with that Column Shift Transmission and DRUM Brakes in a '64! :ohmy:

It's REAL Serial Number would provide more info.

Those were also questions I had, even with my limited knowledge. The other question would be the price. If the car is very good condition, wouldn't this be valued at around $50K+?

BobPalma
09-04-2018, 11:42 AM
:o Regardless of what the Serial Number proves to be, it cannot have been assembled "as advertised" and must be a clone.

The Body Tag, while we cannot read the numbers, appears to be a South Bend body tag, not a Hamilton tag.

So, there were twelve (12) R2 convertibles built, but none of them were red with red interior. The breakdown of color combinations for the twelve R2 convertibles are thus:

5 = Bordeaux Red with Black interior
2 = Bermuda Brown with Red interior
2 = Astra White with Red interior
1 = Midnight Black with Red interior
1 = Golden Sand with Brown interior
1 = Laguna Blue with Blue interior

Let us know what the Serial Number proves to be! ;) :cool: BP

Stu Chapman
09-04-2018, 01:34 PM
This car belongs to Ray Martin,a member of both Ontario and Hamilton Chapters. It's listed on the Registry with serial number 64V10162. It definitely is a clone and is a very good car. Ray did the conversion work himself and is well known as an excellent Studebaker restorer with years of experience. I will try and reach Ray to determine where the Hemmings-shown serial number came from. It is a South Bend car.

Stu Chapman

2R5
09-04-2018, 02:38 PM
As Stu has stated it’s a clone that Ray had done himself . This is a nice car just not a true sc’d car . Before Ray purchased the car it was in a private collection in a climate controlled building for about 20 years .

Stu Chapman
09-04-2018, 04:30 PM
This car belongs to Ray Martin,a member of both Ontario and Hamilton Chapters. It's listed on the Registry with serial number 64V10162. It definitely is a clone and is a very good car. Ray did the conversion work himself and is well known as an excellent Studebaker restorer with years of experience. I will try and reach Ray to determine where the Hemmings-shown serial number came from. It is a South Bend car.

Stu Chapman

I have since spoken to the owner, Ray Martin, and have confirmed quite a bit of information about this car.

First of all it was originally sold by Highpoint Studebaker in North Carolina. Somehow it ended up in Minnesota, at the SDC International Meet there, where it was seen by Ray Martin. About a year or so later it was sold at auction in Fort Wayne IN, where it was bought by RM Restorations (RM Auctions) for Denton Wright of Burlington ON.

As Bob Barrick has stated, it was kept in climate controlled storage for about 20 years when Denton sold it to Ray Martin. The SDC Registry indicates it has a 259 V8 engine which is correct. It also states it has AC added, however this was removed when Ray installed the supercharger. When Ray decided to add the supercharger, after discussion with Jon Myer. he decided to leave the 259 intact, the opinion being that a supercharged 259 would perform better than a supercharged 289. Of course the AC had to go when the supercharger was installed.

The Registry also indicates the car was built in South Bend with a white top. Although the top was in excellent condition, the years have contributed to a number of yellow stains and streaks. Ray then decided to die the top black. Having restored in excess of 30 Studebakers in his life, Ray tells me this is the tightest convertible he has ever driven.

We still don't know why the Hemmings ad shows an incorrect serial number but Ray will re-check his documentation and let me know and I subsequently will pass this information on. Based on what I sold our 64 convertible for three years ago, I can assure members that Ray's asking price of US$28,000 is quite fair, particularly with the really interesting package of the 259 and supercharger.

Stu Chapman

StudeNewby
09-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Thanks for that clarification, Mr Chapman.

But I would be curious to know why it was thought a supercharged 259 would outperform a supercharged 289. Can someone shed some light?

BobPalma
09-04-2018, 08:12 PM
Thanks for that clarification, Mr Chapman.

But I would be curious to know why it was thought a supercharged 259 would outperform a supercharged 289. Can someone shed some light?

:) The shorter-stroke 259s do wind up quicker, Mike. I once built up an R2-ized 259 and while I wouldn't say it was faster than a comparable 289, it did go from 0-6000 RPM faster!

The term out-perform is kind of nebulous anyway, given so many variations of the word perform. ;) :cool: BP

Stu Chapman
09-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Ray Martin just telephoned me to confirm that the serial number listed on the SDC Registry is correct. He has no idea where Hemmings got the serial number used in his ad for the car, as he certainly didn't give to them, nor did they ask for a serial number.

If any member wishes to pursue this advertisement and wishes to contact Ray Martin personally, send me a PM and I'll be happy to provide his contact details.

Stu Chapman

bumpkinvilledano
09-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Many thanks to all for the information. I haven't decided yet whether to pursue this, or wait a bit as I actually prefer the 63 MY.