PDA

View Full Version : GT Hawk Brakes - Advice Needed

Classic 63
08-16-2018, 01:40 AM
I am the proud owner of a 1963 Stude GT Hawk. I sent out the brake booster for repair and it was never returned. (bummer) Its been sitting in my garage under a car cover about 4 years. I am not much of a mechanic but I am ready to get it on the road. After hearing about the brake failures on these I am considering a brake conversion is this necessary? Do you know of any repair shops in the Metro Detroit area that's reputable and knows how to work on Stude's. I would appreciate any advice. Just joined the site.

63 R2 Hawk
08-16-2018, 09:27 AM
Does it have disc brakes? If so, I have a "spare" F type booster that needs rebuilding or can be used as a core. SI also sells a repop F type booster but I don't know if it can be made to work on drum brake cars. You can also replumb the brake system to work without the Hydrovac, I know it's been done often and most people don't miss the booster. If you are looking for a way to convert to a dual system, that's a whole 'nother story....

showbizkid
09-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Montez, I moved this to the General forum with an edited title. Welcome to the forum; hope you can get your Hawk on the road soon!

As you post more here, please remember to be as descriptive as possible in your thread titles - the better they read, the more readers you'll get!

3rdGenStude
09-04-2018, 08:52 PM
If you have all drum brakes. . . I got one of the new boosters from Stude International for my 62 drum brake Hawk and it worked well. Doesnn't take a lot of mechanical skill to plumb it in. I think bleeding was actually more work than putting the new booster in.

Paul