PDA

View Full Version : Hello all Studee fans.

LarkingAround
09-04-2018, 01:54 AM
Hope I'm in the right forum area :)

Just wanted to introduce myself and my car. My name is Steve and I'm from the south east of the UK. (We all have our cross to bear huh?) I have recently bought a 63 Lark Daytona 2 door which I am absolutely in love with. She's not perfect but she's very presentable with the oily bits in seemingly good working order but requiring a little tinkering to get spot on. She has a 4 barrel Holley, Offenhauser valve covers and a chrome air filter to top them off. I will post some pictures when I have a little more time but I'm off to work in a few minutes :(

Obviously there are a few things that need sorting so I'll be picking your brains quite soon. With a little help and advice from you guys I'm sure I'll end up with a cracking car.

All the best,
Steve.

*Edit* Just seen the new member sticky thread. My apologies, late night / early mornings don't bode well........

Noxnabaker
09-04-2018, 04:11 AM
I think it's nice that you posted here.
& as for living in certain places, I live in Sweden mostly & Holland a wee bit. (Where I also bought my Studebaker & still have our tugboat.)
There was a white Lark at the Swedish meet this summer, maby you'll get in contact with him if there's a English Studebaker club...?
It's the owner who's filling oil, me holding the funnel & my Josephine to the left.
Good to have you here! ;)

TWChamp
09-04-2018, 07:10 AM
Welcome, and I'm curious about your Daytona. Has it always been in England?
I picture England as a very humid country, and was wondering how cars hold up there?

09-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Hope I'm in the right forum area :)

Just wanted to introduce myself and my car. My name is Steve and I'm from the south east of the UK. (We all have our cross to bear huh?) I have recently bought a 63 Lark Daytona 2 door which I am absolutely in love with. She's not perfect but she's very presentable with the oily bits in seemingly good working order but requiring a little tinkering to get spot on. She has a 4 barrel Holley, Offenhauser valve covers and a chrome air filter to top them off. I will post some pictures when I have a little more time but I'm off to work in a few minutes :(

Obviously there are a few things that need sorting so I'll be picking your brains quite soon. With a little help and advice from you guys I'm sure I'll end up with a cracking car.

All the best,
Steve.

*Edit* Just seen the new member sticky thread. My apologies, late night / early mornings don't bode well........
Hi Steve,
Great to have you on the Forum. If you are not already aware of the UK club, there is an active Studebaker chapter northwest of London. One of the most active members is in Warwick. There are at least 20 members of the SDC with some really nice Studebakers. I'll send you at PM (private message) with the contact info for the one I know well.

candbstudebakers
09-04-2018, 10:28 AM
From the picture it looks like Greg Diffen putting the oil in the car, I have send him many cars in the past couple of years but don't remember a 62 Daytona but I know he had one. If he is not the person in the picture you should get to know him, he lives in Warwick.

LarkingAround
09-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Thanks all for your kind welcome.
My car was imported about 18 months ago from Japan by a trader who visits there about 4 times a year for a holiday. This time he came home with a Studee!! He barely used it and it sat in his garage for most of his ownership and he advertised it on ebay. I instantly fell in love and drove from Suffolk to Brighton to buy it.

SScopelli
09-04-2018, 03:24 PM
Stunning..:ohmy::cool: And in Green Mist..;)

So this car was in Japan? Any indication how it got to Japan, or how long it was there?

More pics please. Interior? Engine?

Commander Eddie
09-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Wow! Very nice indeed. You should have some great fun in that beauty. Congratulations.

LarkingAround
09-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Thank you. I'm madly in love already and I'll post some more pictures this weekend. I think I have one of the engine somewhere.......*sorts through phone......BRB.

Found it...

Will have a look through my paperwork for more info about where it was and when it was there etc. I've been too busy staring at it and driving it so far.

StudeNewby
09-04-2018, 08:08 PM
I love your enthusiasm! I'm going to pick up my "new" 58 Champion next week, so I'm also feeling that excitement. Yours is just stunning...I hope you enjoy it for many years to come!

StudeRich
09-05-2018, 01:12 AM
Nice looking Daytona! I have to ask what is that Huge, round, dark colored thing on the right inner fender?

The water outlet (Thermostat Housing) on this car is close to the correct angle, but a different shape from some "Other Make".

The only thing that concerns me, is that I know of no other make that had the recess for the Thermostat in the Outlet, NOT the Water Manifold. Possibly some non-American Make might.
So if you have any overheating or leakage issues, it will be time to get a correct Outlet.

LarkingAround
09-05-2018, 02:06 AM
Thanks Mike. The honeymoon period is great isn't it :!!:

StudeRich. I did wonder if the big dark thing was an after thought. Its the windscreen washer bottle. As for the thermostat etc, this is where you guys have the knowledge that I need to tap into as I would never have known any different. When driving, the temp gauge sits at around 3/4 but is rock steady. I sat in a long queue for a show last Sunday and it went up another "bar" on the gauge but no higher. Do you have a photo of how it should be?
Thanks,
Steve

8E45E
09-05-2018, 07:56 AM
I did wonder if the big dark thing was an after thought. Its the windscreen washer bottle.

It's location is an 'afterthought', not the bottle & bracket itself, which appears to be a genuine Studebaker part. It should be located next to the battery.

Craig

52-fan
09-05-2018, 08:15 AM
The 4 bolt valve covers and oil fill pipe make the engine look like an earlier version. Does the engine have a spin on oil filter?

Commander Eddie
09-05-2018, 08:44 AM
The 4 bolt valve covers and oil fill pipe make the engine look like an earlier version. Does the engine have a spin on oil filter?
I agree. It appears to be pre 1962.

ndynis
09-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Great looking, clean car. You will have miles of smiles in that good looking Stude. Thanks for posting. Have you joined the Studebaker Drivers Club yet? It is a great source of information with the Turning Wheels magazine each month.
Thanks for posting your pictures!
Nick

LarkingAround
09-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Just been scouring the net and I've managed to find a few Lark engine photo's and I can definitely see some of the differences you guys are pointing out. 2 valve cover bolts and no oil filler pipe etc. I will re-route the water bottle so it sits where it should. Looks much tidier.
I have just received all the info for the SDC from Rex Burr and I will be sending off for my membership shortly.
I have to admit I'm getting excited about the weekend already. Now I have an idea on how to improve the shifting issue and I have a few other little jobs to do, I'm like a kid waiting to meet his first date :D

Is there a parts store I should be looking for in the US that can supply parts for my car? I did email Rock Auto a week or so ago but I never got a reply.

Commander Eddie
09-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Steven,
Go to the top of this page and click on the Studebaker Drivers Club Home Page. On the home page click on Resources and then Other Valuable Links. Scroll down near the bottom of that page and look for StudebakerVendors.com.
You'll find all the parts you could possibly need there.

LarkingAround
09-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Thank you. :!!:

ndynis
09-05-2018, 01:45 PM
I think this thread shows what great folks hang out here at the Forum. Instant response to a new Stude owner with suggestions and encouragement.
Makes me proud to be here.
Nick

LarkingAround
09-05-2018, 03:03 PM
Totally agree Nick. The best welcome I've had from any forum and I already have enough information to sort out an issue I'd have been chasing the long way round to try and fix. These forums are a wealth of knowledge with folks good enough to share it. The Lark is a new adventure for me so I'm afraid I can't be of much help to anyone else.
I'm very handy with a spanner and would gladly offer my services but most of you are.....well....a bit of a trek from my place :o

studeclunker
09-05-2018, 03:42 PM
My dear fellow, welcome to the madness!:cheers:

Studebaker International
97 North 150 West
Greenfield, In. 46140-8562
(317) 462-3124

Ask for their catalogue.

Love your car.:drool::cool: My favourite year of Lark.:woot:

Stude Shoo-wop!
09-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Well, I'll be darned! We have a new member who's an Englishman buying an American car that was originally located in Japan. All it needs is for it to have served an ambassador in a faraway land such as Pakistan and we'll be golden in this international escapade.

In all seriousness, welcome to the forum! I know that with a good attitude and a desire to learn (which it seems you have) you'll do just fine in the Stude world. I myself just purchased my first car, a 1962 GT Hawk, a little over a year ago. I love every single angle and idiosyncrasy of her! Take a gander for yourself!

LarkingAround
09-06-2018, 01:46 AM
Thank you Studeclunker. I'll definitely get their catalogue as, sad as it sounds, I enjoy looking through old car parts books. Especially the chromed accessories such as the Studebaker traffic light window that I missed on ebay. Modern cars are so boring in comparison to these gorgeous classics.

Well, I'll be darned! We have a new member who's an Englishman buying an American car that was originally located in Japan. All it needs is for it to have served an ambassador in a faraway land such as Pakistan and we'll be golden in this international escapade.

In all seriousness, welcome to the forum! I know that with a good attitude and a desire to learn (which it seems you have) you'll do just fine in the Stude world. I myself just purchased my first car, a 1962 GT Hawk, a little over a year ago. I love every single angle and idiosyncrasy of her! Take a gander for yourself!

That is a gorgeous GT :drool: You must be very proud of her and rightly so!!
I've been looking around the members cars pictures thread. Not only are the cars stunning but the talent and skills the owners have is amazing.
Well, I could sit here all day and read through the various sections but work beckons. When I decided to go self employed I thought my working life would be a little easier........:lol:
Have a good day guys,
Steve.

Noxnabaker
09-06-2018, 03:48 AM
Well not every Studebaker is dashing with flashy paint, even if I probably am the only one driving a car that looks like it ought to be sitting in a back yard... (Paint comes later)
There's a site called "Racing Studebakers" & there you'll find loads of struff to keep you from sleeping early at nights...
(& I'm surprised that no other English Studebaker owner has written here so far.)

LarkingAround
09-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Well not every Studebaker is dashing with flashy paint, even if I probably am the only one driving a car that looks like it ought to be sitting in a back yard... (Paint comes later)
There's a site called "Racing Studebakers" & there you'll find loads of struff to keep you from sleeping early at nights...
(& I'm surprised that no other English Studebaker owner has written here so far.)

I use this comment a lot at car shows where some exhibitors tel me about how much their car is worth and how prices are rising etc etc.
It doesn't matter if your car is worth £500,000 or 500 quid. If you enjoy it and it puts a big smile on your face, that's priceless.

A good friend of mine is crazy about Morris Oxfords and owns four of them. They range from looking fairly rough to rough as a badgers a*se but they run like Swiss watches and drive so well you could use any of them every day. They are all totally original bodily and that's how he likes them. Horses for courses as they say.

8E45E
09-06-2018, 01:12 PM
A good friend of mine is crazy about Morris Oxfords and owns four of them. They range from looking fairly rough to rough as a badgers a*se but they run like Swiss watches and drive so well you could use any of them every day. They are all totally original bodily and that's how he likes them. Horses for courses as they say.

I have to ask, which year/series of Oxford? Prewar?, MO, Series II or III, or the Farina-body examples? I once owned a 1962 Farina-body Oxford.

Craig

LarkingAround
09-06-2018, 02:38 PM
I have to ask, which year/series of Oxford? Prewar?, MO, Series II or III, or the Farina-body examples? I once owned a 1962 Farina-body Oxford.

Craig

He has the MO. I did have a Farina MG Magnette which is very similar to the Oxford, Cambridge etc. Great cars for the everyday trundle.

LarkingAround
09-07-2018, 02:09 AM
Just posted this in my other thread so thought I would copy / paste it here too...

After a little time with my paperwork (and trying to work out Japanese) it seems my car was exported to Japan in 1990 and then to England in late 2016. The Lark was owned in Japan by the Chuo Jidosha Co LTD.

Another little snippet is the engine. It was pointed out that my engine has 4 bolt valve covers and oil filler pipe which indicates it being a 62 or older. This makes sense now as my car has a VIN beginning with S63 which I believe would make mine originally a 170ci six?

Noxnabaker
09-07-2018, 02:46 AM
Since your Lark have the steeringwheel on the left side it couldn't been made for the japan market when it was new, unless it was for postman Pat...
;)

christophe
09-07-2018, 04:08 AM
Welcome to the forum, Steven,
Yes, the S indicates you should have a 6 cylinder engine. I hope for you they made the necessary modifications to brakes and suspension when they did the swap. I also hope this will be of no inconvenience in getting the car to your name.
Nice day to all.

BRUCESTUDE
09-07-2018, 10:16 PM
Sweetness and light! Lark on!

studeclunker
09-07-2018, 11:31 PM
Rough as a badger's...:lol: Too funny! Reminds me of my pickup Ed or the two poor little '63 Lark Sedans I have.

One nice thing about having a ratty old truck is one can use it as a truck without any angst.75510 I think it's about time I got Ed going again...

gsx_martin
09-08-2018, 12:27 AM
Hi Steve,

nice car :!!:

Greetings from Hamburg/Germany
Martin

LarkingAround
09-10-2018, 03:45 PM
Thanks again for all the replies and welcomes. I already feel quite at home here :!:

I may even get really brave and post a comment on someone else's thread :ohmy: :D

Skip Lackie
09-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Thanks again for all the replies and welcomes. I already feel quite at home here :!:

I may even get really brave and post a comment on someone else's thread :ohmy: :D

You're already late!

LarkingAround
09-10-2018, 04:08 PM
:lol: Thanks Skip Lackie.