Weekend bodywork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend bodywork

My latest winter beater is a 2006 Subaru Forester. I believe I am the 3rd owner. Prior owner was a college student. I knew when I bought it that he'd been in a fender bender and some front end body work and some parts had been replaced. It looked OK.

I bought it Oct. of 2015. In 2017 I noted some bubbling of the paint on the RF fender that is a sure sign of it rusting from the inside out. By this spring, it was A LOT worse. The driver side seems totally fine.

There is evidence this fender may have been a used part that was skim coated with putty to hide rusting and then painted. There is a shallow dent in the hood as well so looks like corners were cut on the repair.

I got a new aftermarket fender earlier this summer for about $85. I think the shipping was almost as much as the price of the fender!

This holiday weekend is still warm enough for some painting. If I wait much longer it will be too cold or raining. So, a good opportunity to get the new fender painted and ready to install later on.

The old fender is literally falling apart and the rear portion is hanging on by a thread after I removed the plastic filler moulding there.

The aftermarket fender

I've painted a whole car in the past (my '53k in 2001) and have equipment to do this, but decided to just use a rattle can as this fender is not that large. The cost of auto paint is very high and I probably could not get this in a single stage color and would need to do base/clear urethane and I am not equipped for that. I DID get matched single stage paint mixed at the local auto body paint supply and they put it in a spray can for me for $25 or so. Still pretty expensive but a lot better quality paint than duplicolor, etc and nobody has this color in stock when I checked.

Its still a bit soft after 24hrs so I will wait and then paint the backside to hopefully prevent this fender rusting out like that old one (at least for a while).

Not sure when the swap happens but will be before the snow flies.

Jeff in ND

Nice work, a relatively inexpensive repair that will keep the car looking good. Over the years I've seen many daily drivers with a replaced fender, door, etc. that only needed one can of color-matched paint to make them look good, but the owner doesn't care enough to spend a little time and money to do it.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Just recently, I was helping out a friend whose daughter hit a mailbox with the right front fender on her Subaru. In looking into it, I found that not only were new replacement aftermarket fenders available, for a little more you can get them painted in any factory color. You just have to unbolt one and bolt the new one on and the repair is finished.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The annoying part on when I go to swap the fender is the front bumper cover has to come off, at least on one side and pulled fwd enough to get the headlight out before the actual fender can start coming out. I replaced the badly yellowing right headlight when I got the car and it took all afternoon to figure out how to get the bumper cover loose and pulled away to get at the screws for the light.

I almost considered leaving the fender in the black primer, but recalling all the work above there is no way I would skip a little more for paint as that is the least of the effort in R&R it.

Gave the backside of the wheel lip a good thick coat of black rustoleum today that will take a few days to dry too.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Hi Subaru's are known to fall apart around a running motor. Bill-W

Comment

Got the new fender installed today.

The paint is a bit darker than the rest of the car unfortunately. Fender fit was pretty good except for the upper front corner where the hood front edge and headlight meet it. Sticks up a hair. Not a big deal with either problem, better than a rusty fender!

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
            X