Hawk temperature gauge wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk temperature gauge wiring

I'm using a '56 Hawk dash and gauges, and cannot determine the correct wiring for the temperature gauge. The gauge is not marked in any manner regarding proper connections. I've also reviewed '56 Stude shop manual and Stewart Warner installation instructions, to no avail. Can any of you advise me which terminals are which. I assume that one of the studs which mounts the gauge itself to the metal "box" is the ground. One terminal is at the six o'clock position and the other is at the 12 o'clock position. Which is for 12V switched power and which is for the sender wire? Thx, in advance. tempestan

I see, the Shop Manual shows the hook-up to the temp. without showing which way is up! DAA! I think I remember them always having the Sensor wire on the top, but I guess it would take someone physically looking at the back of their dash to be sure!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I hook a ground wire to the studs at 3 and 9 oclock, the red wire goes to the top of the gauge, and the white or tan or yellowing wire to the bottom of the gauge. That is how mine is done.

Comment

Thanks to both Chucks Stude and StudeRich. I'm using a non-Stude wiring harness.

Chucks Stude: I assume the red wire is the 12v switched power and the white or tan or yellowing wire is from the sensor? Do I understand properly.

Again, thx, to both of you.......and if anyone can add weight to this question, pls feel free to do so. Just don't want to fry the gauge due to my ignorance.

tempestan

Comment

Working...
        X