PDA

View Full Version : Made it to Tacoma.

gordr
08-30-2018, 12:20 AM
Half the streets in this town are torn up, and the other half, you can't get there from here. If it were not for the fact of meeting so many old and new Studebaker friends, I would be on the road tomorrow. Not a happy camper right now.

6hk71400
08-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Half the streets in this town are torn up, and the other half, you can't get there from here. If it were not for the fact of meeting so many old and new Studebaker friends, I would be on the road tomorrow. Not a happy camper right now.

Second night at Best Western. No Restaurant. Front Desk did not know why. Google Health Department and they shut down the restaurant and bar. Hotel could not serve coffee so Hospitality room for Avanti's in 309 have coffee.

A few well chosen words on Yelp and TripAdvisor will warn others about the situation. Surprises like this are not pleasant not to mention the fact that for 30 minutes the front desk could not answer if we were going to have a shuttle to the meet hotel that morning for meetings that needed to be attended.

Bob Miles
Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Hallabutt
08-31-2018, 05:01 AM
I Can't argue with the facts surrounding the the complaints, but focusing on the obvious negative aspects gives the wrong impression of the meet experience so far. For many of us living in the region the venue has always had it's downside, but there has been a really dedicated group that was determined to make the meet a good experience for those in attendance. Mary and I checked out of the BW hotel Thursday after our three day stay. We were not impressed, I have come to expect more from the BW hotels.

Even though we are registered with both the ASC and the SDC our focus is more on the ASC events. The ASC had chosen to go with an additional day of touring on Tuesday. The weather was delightful, The smaller group made for a nice tour of Tacoma and vary pleasant tour of the Le May family compound and fabulous car collection at Marymount. Wednesday the group toured over to Sandy Olson's home and his internationally recognized gasket company. The weather was beautiful, and even though I'm a local, I never get tired of touring in my backyard, which I humbly feel is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Everyone seemed to really enjoy the experience, I know we did. Wednesday we had an absolutely fantastic banquet meal at the La Quinta hotel. Whether the glass is haf full or half empty, right now mine is near full, as I remember our great week so far.-Bill

StudeNewby
08-31-2018, 08:31 AM
I wish I could be there! I hope everyone has a safe and fun IM!

6hk71400
08-31-2018, 10:19 AM
Bill, I did not mean to convey a negative impression of the meet. As someone stated coming to the meet is like a high school reunion. For me, I am like the new kid in high school and meeting all my new classmates. Beside, Studebaker meets are good for my health. Since I have been walking and active, my blood sugar is down and I feel great with all the exercise. As far as the Best Western, see my post in #2. Today, I have to go to the front desk as they need to correct my folio to the price that was listed on our website. I won't go into the other problems encountered; I will leave that for Yelp and Trip Advisor.

See everyone in Ohio in 2019

Bob Miles
Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator 2018-2020

whitehawk759
08-31-2018, 01:36 PM
I wont comment on the problems at BW but the experience at the La Quinta hotel was much different and as my wife helped with the hospitality room there I can say that part was terrific. As to the area that the meet is located, it is in the older industrial part of Tacoma and yes confusion was rampant. I even got lost and I live here. Over all so far the people are great and once you get your bearings it's fine. Having fun!

studecoop
08-31-2018, 02:53 PM
Hey Gord, are you going to be at the meet on Saturday? Chris

gordr
08-31-2018, 07:40 PM
Saturday morning, at least. Just returned to my motel for the evening. As far as the meet is concerned, I got some sought-after parts, and spent time with old friends, and that's what it is all about.

wcortesi
09-02-2018, 09:30 AM
I was involved with the AOAI side of things, and I apologize for the problems at the Best Western. It's fairly obvious they could have done a much better job for what they were charging and there is no excuse for allowing your food services to get shut down by the health department! We tried to compensate with coffee and donuts in the Hospitality Room, but that's a pretty big hole to fill.
As for the torn up streets and freeways around here, I agree it makes it tough to get around; I did my best to guide people when I could. All I can say is welcome to my world!
All in all we are pretty pleased with how it turned out and we hope everyone had a good time and enjoyed the cooler weather, I know i did.

8E45E
09-02-2018, 10:42 AM
We tried to compensate with donuts in the Hospitality Room, but that's a pretty big hole to fill.

No pun intended??

Craig

wcortesi
09-02-2018, 11:04 AM
No pun intended??

Craig I'm unintentionally clever. Thanks for noticing! :D

PackardV8
09-02-2018, 04:53 PM
No worries. Agree, the Best Western was location, location, location; they charged accordingly. Out away from the Dome and the Museum, they couldn't get half that rate. However, I tried to remember it's all happening outside anyway and the hotel is just a bed and breakfast.

jack vines

BobPalma
09-02-2018, 07:16 PM
I wont comment on the problems at BW but the experience at the La Quinta hotel was much different and as my wife helped with the hospitality room there I can say that part was terrific. As to the area that the meet is located, it is in the older industrial part of Tacoma and yes confusion was rampant. I even got lost and I live here. Over all so far the people are great and once you get your bearings it's fine. Having fun!

:!: What Don said all around; LaQuinta did a great job and it was a pleasant place to stay. Wife Cari and I rented a car and were glad we did; she saw many sites in the area and I had a car to get around while she was on the day-long Space Needle / shopping bus tour Friday.

Overall, a wonderful meet. :!!:

'Just landed back in Indianapolis at 5:10 Sunday evening and looking at 571 e-mails since Monday night, so lots to do. :eek: Congrats and thanks to all; it was really a good time. :D BP

bison
09-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Bob
The BIG question is , were you able to find a replacement hat ? :)
btw it sounds like everyone had a good time and as John Clary and many others said in another post , thank to all for all of the updates and pictures
Blake

8E45E
09-07-2018, 08:14 AM
Agree, the Best Western was location, location, location; they charged accordingly.

That is true with ALL hotel chains, including Motel 6.

In Troutdale, (near Portland), it was $114 and change, and in Spokane the next night, it was far more reasonable $62.95 for the exact same accommodation with minimal amenities like no breakfast. Not sure if its all because of what the market will bear, or if the operating costs and taxes are actually that much higher in a heavily populated area.

Craig

candbstudebakers
09-07-2018, 11:08 AM
We stayed at the BW, and glad we did because it was real close to the swap, cars, and museum, and with me getting around on my scooter I was glad to be that close, now the rooms are another thing, I should have gotten a HC room because the only place that I have ever seen toilets that low was in a pre school bath room. shower water was no pressure and only worm at best not good when one needs hot water to wake up and get moving. car parking was very good. the people that put on the meed did a good job and knowing how much work it take all I can say is thank you for all you did, I enjoyed the people, the cars, and plan on being in Ohio next year, thanks to all and see you then if not before some place else.

gordr
09-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Craig, Motel 6 rates are variable. Day of week, or local event going on. The Motel 6 rates at Portland Meadows rises to obscene levels for the portland Swap meet. so this year Bruce Schiffner, Steve Celar, and myself stayed at a little Econolodge out near the 205 freeway. Only $70 a night, and a 15-minute drive in to the swap site, no traffic problems at all.

8E45E
09-07-2018, 01:04 PM
Craig, Motel 6 rates are variable.

Like I stated in my previous post ALL hotel chains are variable.

I will extend it to restaurant chains, any kind of store chain, etc., when it comes to location. In Alberta, most of the fast food restaurants use 'North of 60°' menu pricing for Fort McMurray because of the insanely high wages they have to pay there.

NO ONE offers 'nationwide' prices anymore for 30 years at least.

Craig

Skip Lackie
09-07-2018, 03:34 PM
Want to thank the local chapters and their members for a great meet. Downtown Tacoma and all the restaurants along the waterfront were a nice surprise. And four days of admission to the LeMay Museum was worth the registration fee all by itself.

8E45E
09-07-2018, 04:48 PM
Yes, Skip, I agree, I had a great time while I was in Tacoma. I ate at The Fish Peddler for some excellent seafood the one night, and then the Truck Farmers' Dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory on Pacific Avenue a night or two later. Despite all the issues some may have had with hotels, etc., they never affected me or the hotel I stayed at. I wouldn't have missed it for anything!

I also agree the four-day admission price to the Lemay Museum was well worth it.

Craig

Green53
09-07-2018, 04:52 PM
Even with a few issues with BW it was an enjoyable meet. I'm glad we came. With my cars being done I seldom need parts but get to renew friendships. I have only missed 4 meets since 1973.

Denny Lockmon
64 Avanti R1
64 Daytona convertible R1

Lou Van Anne
09-07-2018, 10:28 PM
Hey!.....it was fun! fun! fun!...."until daddy took the T-bird away....."

TX Rebel
09-08-2018, 12:12 AM
When we arrived, I wished I could have gotten a room at the Best Western, but I am glad we stayed at the nearby Holiday Inn Express. A nicer room than we really needed, but not as nice as the Embassy Suites in L.A. we are currently staying in. I prefer, clean, quiet, basic motels when I can find them.
bh