PDA

View Full Version : Buttercup's front bumper

Jerry Forrester
08-29-2018, 09:35 PM
I have finished the hood hinges. Time to move onto the fitment of the grills and front bumper.
I think the only improvement that can be made to the front of a '53-4 C-K is to tuck the bumper in a little tighter to the sheet metal.
I am doing away with the bumper arms and am fastening the bumper directly to the sheet metal. I am also welding closed all the bumper bolt holes in the bumper. I sliced and diced the bumper (took 1/2" out each side just outside the inner bumper bolt holes) and came up with a fairly good fit. I don't have the brackets for the ends of the bumper made yet. It's hanging on just two bolts through the bumper filler panel, but it sure fits nice.
https://i.imgur.com/C82H8n9.jpg?1

345 DeSoto
08-30-2018, 06:38 AM
EXCELLENT job, Jerry...

junior
08-30-2018, 07:11 AM
that looks great!...do you have a photo of the side view? Also dig the wheel choice for buttercup. cheers, junior

Jerry Forrester
08-30-2018, 07:29 AM
that looks great!...do you have a photo of the side view? Also dig the wheel choice for buttercup. cheers, junior

Junior, I've got it all blown apart again. Had to slice and dice the bumper filler panel where it overlaps the fender just under the headlights to get a good fit there (the panel, not the bumper). I'll get more pix when I have it back together.
The area on the fender where the bumper filler panel fits is convex, the panel is flat and too big. What's up with that?

Colgate Studebaker
08-30-2018, 02:02 PM
Looks good Jerry, it'll look even better when you're done slicin-n-dicin. I want to fill the bolt holes on my GT and weld studs on the inside to do the attaching. I'll look yours over and get some ideas. Bill

Jerry Forrester
02-22-2019, 05:33 PM
Finished fitting the bumper today. I decided to go with another bumper rather than the one I started with. The first one was in too bad of shape to get a good rechrome job.
I sliced and diced this one and it's ready for chroming.
I also got it fitting nice-n-tight.

StudeNewby
02-22-2019, 06:34 PM
That looks really nice, Jerry. I think you were right when you said that maybe the only way to improve the front of a '53 C/K is to tuck that bumper. Keep us posted on Buttercup's progress!

jclary
02-22-2019, 06:37 PM
Finished fitting the bumper today. I decided to go with another bumper rather than the one I started with. The first one was in too bad of shape to get a good rechrome job.
I sliced and diced this one and it's ready for chroming.
I also got it fitting nice-n-tight.

Careful there ol' boy...your mockup pics are looking great!:!: Back when Bob Bourke and his team were drawing up these cars, they sketched great fitting hoods, doors, & trim, with evenly spaced gaps for all door lines and components.:)

You keep up this kind of work and your car will reflect the level of fit & finish the original artists intended!:!:
Something the assembly line rarely ever accomplished consistently.;)(Nor did any other brand of autos of the era.)

Colgate Studebaker
02-22-2019, 08:16 PM
Looking good Jerry! Fits like a glove. What's next?

Jerry Forrester
02-22-2019, 08:56 PM
Looking good Jerry! Fits like a glove. What's next?

Gotta blow the front sheet metal all back apart and start doing patch panels. Lots of tin worm damage to fix.

345 DeSoto
02-22-2019, 09:23 PM
Now THAT'S nice...VERY nice...

52-fan
02-22-2019, 09:48 PM
Super nice job. Don't bump anything with it. ;)

Jerry Forrester
02-23-2019, 07:51 AM
Super nice job. Don't bump anything with it. ;)
Good idea.
Bumpers are no longer for bumping. That went out years ago. They are now merely ornamental.

52-fan
02-23-2019, 09:36 AM
Good idea.
Bumpers are no longer for bumping. That went out years ago. They are now merely ornamental.

True, it has been a while since I saw anyone pushing another car bumper to bumper to get it started. :)

cliffh
02-28-2019, 03:47 PM
Junior, I've got it all blown apart again. Had to slice and dice the bumper filler panel where it overlaps the fender just under the headlights to get a good fit there (the panel, not the bumper). I'll get more pix when I have it back together.
The area on the fender where the bumper filler panel fits is convex, the panel is flat and too big. What's up with that?
Jerry, could you describe what you did to the bumper filler panel to make it fit so nice? I've been thinking about what to do to mine. I usually discover I am doing it the hard way after it is too late. Would much appreciate any help. Here's a picture of mine.

Thanks,
Cliff

Jerry Forrester
03-01-2019, 06:46 AM
Jerry, could you describe what you did to the bumper filler panel to make it fit so nice? I've been thinking about what to do to mine. I usually discover I am doing it the hard way after it is too late. Would much appreciate any help. Here's a picture of mine.

Thanks,
Cliff

Make a 3 inch slice along the top and bottom, beat it to the shape you want, remove the excess metal, weld it back together, dress the welds.
It's not rocket surgery.

cliffh
03-01-2019, 11:10 PM
Make a 3 inch slice along the top and bottom, beat it to the shape you want, remove the excess metal, weld it back together, dress the welds.
It's not rocket surgery.

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks for the help. A few more times doing metal surgery and I may have more confidence in my choices.
Cliff

DEEPNHOCK
03-02-2019, 07:22 AM
Nicely done!

And when you get around back....
I can show you a nice and easy way to tuck in the rear bumper with just a couple pieces of masking tape....

https://i.imgur.com/xytS8Xz.jpg

Jerry Forrester
03-02-2019, 07:56 AM
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I definitely want the rear tucked in too.

t walgamuth
03-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Looks like a good fit!