Brakes grab the first few uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brakes grab the first few uses

I have a 1951 2R11 that appears to have a ghost in the brake system. My issue is the front right brake locks up every time when I start first start out, day or night. The first time I step on the brakes it locks up. The second time I step on the brakes, same thing. The third time not quite as bad, by the forth time everything seems to be working ok. The brakes work normally for the rest of the day.
    Over the past few years I have put new wheel cylinders on the front, rebuilt the rear wheel cyclnders, installed a new master brake cylinder, replaced the flexible brake lines as well as the metal ones have been replaced within the past 15 years. The system has been bled twice.
    Any ideas what is causing the brake to lock up?

To me, the most frequent cause is a little corrosion inside the drum. It always seemed to me that drums which had been submitted to hydraulic leaks before are more prone to do this.
    Nice day to all.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
      To me, the most frequent cause is a little corrosion inside the drum. It always seemed to me that drums which had been submitted to hydraulic leaks before are more prone to do this.
      Nice day to all.
      Sure sounds like the drum is getting a bit of rust which rubs off the first few stops. I'd pull that drum, inspect carefully for leaks from the cylinder, and if none, carefully clean the drum including using detergent and water and sandpaper on the rubbing surface.

Comment

In addition to what was just said, while the drum is off, have someone step on the brake pedal just enough to push that cylinder's pistons out a bit and make sure they return freely.

Comment

This is not uncommon with the R/E10, 11, 12 series trucks.

A possibility is the shoes aren't properly arced to the drums. Your 2R11 has large diameter drums and if they've been turned oversize once or twice, replacement shoes no longer are the same diameter as the drums. Back in the day, all brake shops had shoe arcing machines and ground the shoes to match the curvature of the drums. Today, one would have to find an old school farm/truck repair shop and hope they still have a shoe arcing machine.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I found a crack across the shoe between 2 rivets. Any thoughts as to this being the culprit?

Comment

After my 52 sits for several days the brakes pull a bit the first time. I figure it is a little rust on the drums. It goes away after one or two good stops and doesn't happen if I drive the car on consecutive days.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                I found a crack across the shoe between 2 rivets. Any thoughts as to this being the culprit?
                Unless you find some traces around the crack indicating that something unusual occurs here, I would not say so. Besides, the crack is still there when your brakes perform correctly.
                sigpic

Comment

If ANYTHING in the braking system is cracked, it should be replaced. Your life, as well as the life of innocent others, depends on your brakes.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                  X