PDA

View Full Version : 1963 Studebaker Lark

aidanaguirre
08-26-2018, 08:54 PM
I am looking to swap engine in my 1963 Studebaker Lark. Im not sure what would quite work, so i'm reaching out for help. If you know any engine compatible and/or available please let me know. It's a 6 cylinder, 3 speed auto trans. Thank you for your time.

mapman
08-26-2018, 09:10 PM
it would help to have a little more information about what you are looking for out of a swap. New motor? More power? simplicity? Hot rod? Price? Most all has been done by different people but it can be opening a can of worms.
Rob

studegary
08-26-2018, 09:28 PM
I am looking to swap engine in my 1963 Studebaker Lark. Im not sure what would quite work, so i'm reaching out for help. If you know any engine compatible and/or available please let me know. It's a 6 cylinder, 3 speed auto trans. Thank you for your time.

Why do you want to swap? Is your engine missing or in need of major repairs or do you simply want more power. Another Studebaker engine, 6 or V8, would be the easiest swap. With the Studebaker V8, or any more powerful engine, you should plan on upgrading the brakes, differential and suspension.

EDIT: If the six is not enough for you, you would be ahead if you simply sold this car and bought a V8 (discounting things like in the family since new).

StudeRich
08-26-2018, 11:06 PM
Aidan, have you worked out even a rough Budget for this project?
The exact numbers are none of my business but to better help you, it would be good to know what your Goals are for this Car.

Is it a '63 Lark:
Convertible
2 Door Hardtop
2 Door Sedan
4 Door Sedan
Cruiser, Luxury 4 Door Sedan
or Wagonaire 4 Door Wagon?

Some suggestions you will get will be quite a bit more expensive than others, like changing the whole drive train to a modern small block GM Engine and Trans. etc.

There are some members here maybe close to you, maybe not, that do have Stude. Engines and Transmissions some rebuildable cores, others running, easier but more expensive projects.

There should be lots of help in the Los Angeles Area.

Just about anything is possible if you have the skills and the Money, or LOTS of money to pay others for most of it. :)

Bud
08-27-2018, 07:53 AM
I agree with Rich, You need to come up with an idea of what you want to do with the car, and how much you want to spend on the project. Swapping a V8 Studebaker engine into your 6 cylinder equipped car is for the most part a bolt in swap, but things like the brakes and at least the front suspension will have to be upgraded. If you go with an engine and transmission from another manufacturer, then get ready for some fabrication work. I'm located in Hawthorne and would be glad to help you go in the right direction with your car. Bud

jpepper
08-27-2018, 09:14 PM
The easiest V8 swaps are the bolt-in variety. A Studebaker V8 or a 1st generation smallblock Chevy V8 will bolt in. Either will require a different transmission and as stated above, upgrades to suspension, rear end, and brakes are highly recommended. A Chevy 6 will also bolt in but you run out of radiator clearance so some alteration/fabrication would be needed. If you just want a little more power, the original six can be hot rodded a little. What are your goals with the car?