Bringing the paint back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing the paint back

These are my first attempts at bringing back the paint. It had a clearcoat on it but it has all peeled off. A lot of elbow grease here.

Before.....

And after...

Before...and after

You can see the original color under the gravel shields. It still has clearcoat.

I think it will make a fine driver. Going with a medium dark grey metallic on top. It matches the inside trim and from what I have seen is a good combination.
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

IF the paint job is truly a 2 stage, base coat/clear coat, and the clear is gone..........polishing the base coat is an effort in futility. Base coat will not retain a shiny finish. It was never intended to shine by itself. It requires a finish coat of clear to seal it and provide that finish.
    If the copper color is actually a single stage paint that has oxidized, you may get it to shine for a little while before it dies back. Whoever cleared it probably did so to get a shine again.
    An old "car flipper" trick is to spray WD40 on a dull, faded finish and then put a couple coats of liquid polish on it. Sell ASAP because it will dull out again in less then a week.
    What you might consider is to get a color for the roof and after painting it, spray the entire car with a satin clear. It's very popular with the "Rat Rod" group and hides a few flaws. Prep is still very important or you will have another peeling problem to deal with.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

It looks nice!

I finally learned why Studebaker added the tray between the 51 bumper arms. I carry spare gas in my trunk.

Comment

Well, I figured I would give it a try. It is just time. The paint did seem to take the wet sanding well. Then rubbing compound, polish compound and Carnuba wax. It is a driver right now. Hopefully it will look better than before for awhile.
        51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
        53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Working...
        X