PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger Idler Pulley

MikeW
02-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Has anyone rebuilt one of these? I see that SI lists a bearing but its suppose to cover all models including the Avanti with S/C. Does the same bearing fit all S/C models? I am doing one off a 58 Hawk.
I am thinking that I have to drill out the rivets to separate the halves and then what do you suggest to re-attach them?

Mike
www.packardhawk.com

DEEPNHOCK
02-09-2008, 05:52 AM
Ohhhh.. I am going by memory here...
Yes, you can split the pulley halves and install a new bearing.
Last time I did that I just used some 10-32 bolts to put the halves back together (or did I drill it out for 1/4-20....[?])
IIRC, the bearing number is something like a 6203-2RJC
The number has to do with the size, and thr 2RJ has to do with two rubber (viton or nitryl rubber) side shields, and the C has to do with the 'fit' of the rollers to the races (A 'C' is a premium fit bearing used where tolerances are more critical)
I could be off on the number, but you will probably find a number on the old bearing that can be crossed.
Used some Loc-Tite red on the outer race of the bearing when bolting it up.
It must have worked, because I never changed it again.
Hope the info helps.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by MikeW

Has anyone rebuilt one of these? I see that SI lists a bearing but its suppose to cover all models including the Avanti with S/C. Does the same bearing fit all S/C models? I am doing one off a 58 Hawk.
I am thinking that I have to drill out the rivets to separate the halves and then what do you suggest to re-attach them?
Mike
www.packardhawk.com

wagone
02-10-2008, 12:25 PM
First off, my memory is also lacking. It seems as though when I had my engine gone through we replaced this bearing. But the details escape me.........however, I've looked at my idler pulley and it is one piece cast. So.........what rivets are we talking about? APPARENTLY the bearing I replaced was on the idler support arm pivot and not the pulley.....but still my two groove idler pulley is not riveted together. Now I'm thinking I need to research this issue further as those bearings (on the pulley) can't last forever.

wagone

Chicken Hawk
02-10-2008, 01:09 PM
This may help if it hasn't been posted yet (my computer doesn't show all the posts). The Golden Hawk idler pulley is riveted together and the R 2 type holds the bearing in with a snap ring.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by wagone

First off, my memory is also lacking. It seems as though when I had my engine gone through we replaced this bearing. But the details escape me.........however, I've looked at my idler pulley and it is one piece cast. So.........what rivets are we talking about? APPARENTLY the bearing I replaced was on the idler support arm pivot and not the pulley.....but still my two groove idler pulley is not riveted together. Now I'm thinking I need to research this issue further as those bearings (on the pulley) can't last forever.

wagone

N8N
02-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Ted,

that's good to know for easy identification. I know that the GH and Lark/Hawk R2 tensioner arms are "similar but different" - are the pulleys themselves interchangeable or are they too different? Do they use the same bearings or do you need to specify which pulley you have when ordering?

thanks,

Nate

(scavenger of swap meets)

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Chicken Hawk
02-10-2008, 09:41 PM
The bolt that goes through the pulley is different on the two but can be made to work with a little ingenuity. Both take the same bearing.

Same for the arm the pulley bolts to. One can be ground off about an eighth inch or the other shimmed by about an eighth and they can be interchanged also.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Ted,

that's good to know for easy identification. I know that the GH and Lark/Hawk R2 tensioner arms are "similar but different" - are the pulleys themselves interchangeable or are they too different? Do they use the same bearings or do you need to specify which pulley you have when ordering?

thanks,

Nate

(scavenger of swap meets)

--
55 Commander Starlight

MikeW
02-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks, Ted! That is what I wanted to know. That both use the same bearing. The GH and Packard Hawk use a one groove pulley riveted together while the R2 uses a two groove in addition to being a cast pulley. I did not know the arms could be made to interchange. I will file that information somewhere.

Mike
www.packardhawk.com

N8N
02-11-2008, 10:14 AM
'pends on what R2 you're talking about. The Avanti R2 uses a double groove pulley and normal sized V-belts. The Lark/Hawk R2 uses the same single wide belt as the GH and the pulleys, tensioners, etc. look very similar.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight

MikeW
02-14-2008, 09:26 AM
I don't think I have paid that much attention to an R2 Hawk or Lark. I was thinking Avanti.

One last question. I noted that after I took the nut off the shaft the pulley did not easily come off the tensioner arm. I assume that it has just become a really tight fit following 50 years under the hood. After taking the nut off I assume I can just press the shaft through the tensioner arm? There is nothing else holding it, like a snap ring?

Mike
www.packardhawk.com

wagone
02-14-2008, 11:44 AM
As has been stated earlier, yes there is a snap ring......unless yours has been modified at some point.

wagone

MikeW
02-14-2008, 01:38 PM
I used a press to remove the pulley from the tensioner arm and no snap ring. It has a splined shaft that is pressed through the arm and then a lock washer and a nut to hold it all together. I am pretty sure this is the original set up. If there is a snap ring it has to internal to the pulley. This is from a 1958 Hawk, not an R2.
Jeff is very accurate! The bearing is a 6203RSC3.
Thanks for all the help!

Mike
www.packardhawk.com