Studebaker managing Ford?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker managing Ford?

While I was waiting in my wife's doctor's office this morning I picked up a 1990-91 AACA magazine (yes, magazines are old in a doctor's office). I was reading an interesting article about a Model A Ford convertible specially built for Henry II. The article went on to comment about how much a mess Ford management was right after WW II. Edsel was dead and Henry's health was poor. They said the government(?) considered assigning "stewardship" (their words) to Studebaker.[?]

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

And then later on, Ford did Studebaker a favor and sold them 289 engines and dash clocks. [)][)][)]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

And then later on, Ford did Studebaker a favor and sold them 289 engines and dash clocks. [)][)][)]

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I seem to recall reading that, too, Paul. As I recall, it was in the book "Ford, The Men and the Machines" by Robert Lacey. (I think I got the name right.) Your local library ought to have a copy. I've read it and it is a pretty good book, although it's got a few years behind it now.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

I seem to recall reading that, too, Paul. As I recall, it was in the book "Ford, The Men and the Machines" by Robert Lacey. (I think I got the name right.) Your local library ought to have a copy. I've read it and it is a pretty good book, although it's got a few years behind it now.

Comment

The management team of Hoffman and Vance were held in high regard. They pulled Studebaker's feet from the receivership "fire" and then introduced the very successful Champion model and the very well received '41's. Paul Hoffman was made the head of the Marshall Plan after the war's end. What a vote of confidence in the man !
            Ford, one of the largest corporations in the country -and very important to the war effort, had only and tottering anti-semitic octogenarian (Henry Sr.), a slightly higher-class thug (Harry Bennett), and Henry's 26 year-old grandson who had to be sprung out of the Navy ( Hank the Deuce ) to chose from to run the company.
            Considering that the country was at war, the competent and proven team who were running Studebaker looked like good people to try to put the Ford Motor Company back together too.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
            47 M-5
            Izzer Buggy
            Junior Wagon
            Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
            61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
            Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
            Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

The management team of Hoffman and Vance were held in high regard. They pulled Studebaker's feet from the receivership "fire" and then introduced the very successful Champion model and the very well received '41's. Paul Hoffman was made the head of the Marshall Plan after the war's end. What a vote of confidence in the man !
              Ford, one of the largest corporations in the country -and very important to the war effort, had only and tottering anti-semitic octogenarian (Henry Sr.), a slightly higher-class thug (Harry Bennett), and Henry's 26 year-old grandson who had to be sprung out of the Navy ( Hank the Deuce ) to chose from to run the company.
              Considering that the country was at war, the competent and proven team who were running Studebaker looked like good people to try to put the Ford Motor Company back together too.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
              47 M-5
              Izzer Buggy
              Junior Wagon
              Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
              61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
              Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
              Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment