PDA

View Full Version : Tacoma Roll Call

fargoguy
08-21-2018, 08:29 AM
We are headed for Tacoma next week- who else will be there?

52-fan
08-21-2018, 09:08 AM
Joe and I had to forfeit this year. We won't be coming. :(

StudeNorm
08-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Heading down to Kalispell from Devon, Alberta Sunday. Trying to drive around the smoke and fires so avoiding BC interior route. Not sure if we will actually make it that far on day one but taking a couple of extra days to get to Tacoma for Wednesday noonish arrival.

Georger
08-21-2018, 09:46 AM
I will be there from Sunday night until Saturday morning, as I will be attending all of the Antique Studebaker Club functions.
George Rohrbach

Dick Steinkamp
08-21-2018, 09:49 AM
There are currently 2,000,000 acres on fire on the west coast. Here's a current map of the smoke...

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/20/17/4F3D294600000578-0-image-a-2_1534782555949.jpg

I've never seen anything like this in all my years on the west coast. I just got back from a 3 week road trip...Washington, Oregon, California...and never got out of the smoke.

Air quality index in Tacoma this morning is 183...rated unhealthy. Here in Bellingham it's 190. The sun is a just a big red ball.

Hopefully conditions improve by IM time, but if you have respiratory issues please check current conditions before leaving home.

Buzzard
08-21-2018, 09:59 AM
We're hopefully heading out late Tuesday for a Wednesday PM arrival. This past weekend our BC weather cited that our air index was appreciably HIGHER than Beijing, China. More firefighters have been brought in from Eastern Canada (Nova Scotia) to assist. On Friday late afternoon while on our way home from town, we reported a wildfire which was just starting about 10 miles east of us. Fortunately they got it fully contained in just a few hours. Our tourism is in the tank because there is so much smoke. This is the third worst fire season EVER.
It will be great meet all you guys and get away from this negativity. See you soon.
Bill & Sonja

Dick Steinkamp
08-21-2018, 10:32 AM
Here is a good site to follow for air quality updates...

https://wasmoke.blogspot.com/2018/08/tell-us-plainly-when-will-smoke-clear.html

candbstudebakers
08-21-2018, 10:53 AM
to late to turn back now we will be there Tue. -Sat. 5 or maybe 6 of us. one from Australia.

john Mitchell
08-21-2018, 12:27 PM
We will be there Tuesday thru Saturday.Hope the smoke clears for us and the firefighters

brngarage
08-21-2018, 12:51 PM
Eight or ten members of the Los Angeles chapter will begin arriving between Monday and Wednesday and staying thru Saturday. See y'all there!

StudeNorm
08-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Looks like taking Hwy 3 west when we get south of Calgary and crossing at Eastport, Idaho might be the best way out of Alberta. Let's hope that some of these fires settle down. I do know that A/C makes a fairly good air filter system. Later.

Skip Lackie
08-21-2018, 03:17 PM
Should be there Wed PM- Sat PM.

6hk71400
08-21-2018, 03:29 PM
Flying in Tuesday and leaving Saturday morning. See you all there.

Bob Miles

2R5
08-21-2018, 03:52 PM
We drove in last weekend for Ladner car show , 1st car show I’ve been to that I knew not one car and have also seen a private collection , went south into Pt Roberts , think we’ll just stay up here in the Delta

Green53
08-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Flying in on Tuesday. Be there till Saturday.

Denny L

spokejr
08-21-2018, 05:20 PM
I'll be driving in on Tuesday. While I'm member of the LA chapter, I'll hopefully meet up with the Karel Staple members between Medford and Eugene and join them for the final assualt, flying low and avoiding radar!

Ken

41 Frank
08-21-2018, 07:38 PM
We decided to pass on the IM this year and do Zone Meets instead. Did the one in Iowa City and will be in Custer, SD for our Zone meet over Labor day weekend. The following week we will go to Branson,MO for the "Orphan car show" and "Drive Your Studebaker Day" We don't do well respiratory wise anyway with that bad of an air quality problem. You all enjoy though!

Studebaker Wheel
08-21-2018, 07:47 PM
Planning to attend since this will be my 50th consecutive (first as South Bend 1968). Arriving Tuesday the 28th departing Sunday the 2nd. I am scheduled to put on a program on Friday the 31st at the Laquinta. Stop by and spend an hour or so.

Buzzard
08-21-2018, 08:58 PM
Norm,
You should check to see about the fires near Spokane (Davenport) as we came back from Montana that way 10 days or so ago and had to go a long way off our intended path due to road closures.
Luck,
Bill

2R5
08-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Norm,
You should check to see about the fires near Spokane (Davenport) as we came back from Montana that way 10 days or so ago and had to go a long way off our intended path due to road closures.
Luck,
Bill

i went through there on Friday and everything was fine

Mark L
08-21-2018, 10:08 PM
It really depends which way the wind is blowing and how steady. The current forecast is for an on-shore flow from the Pacific arriving on Thursday August 23 and clearing this out for a while - not sure how long, though. Last week it was getting bad, then cleared up for a few days heading into the weekend. Now it's worse than it was last week. The long-range forecast is currently predicting cooler temperatures and more chances for rain, which might help the efforts to put out the local fires.

SilverHawkDan
08-21-2018, 10:39 PM
So miracles do happen. Last week I was sure I was going to miss one of my chances to fill a bucket list item, going to Tacoma. My health issues have destroyed our finances and my health has been suspect. I knew I was meeting with my doctors this week and figured they would say not to go. So first my little brother bought me a plane ticket. Yesterday my doctor was amazed that all but on tumor had not grown. The one that did grow only grew by less than a centimeter. He told me that I needed to keep doing whatever I was doing as it was working for me. So unless my other oncologist says otherwise (I might not listen) I will be flying out on Tuesday and flying back home on Sunday. My little brother Bill, 1957 Golden Hawk and my older brother Ed, 1955 President will be enjoying my company and I hope to meet as many of you as possible. I have come to think of you as family over these past few years and would like to put a face with the names. I look forward to experiencing this event and then checking off another bucket list item.

Mark57
08-21-2018, 11:33 PM
There is a group of us from Vancouver Island that will be arriving Tuesday afternoon and staying until the following Sunday morning. :)

tomlewis
08-21-2018, 11:55 PM
Planning to attend since this will be my 50th consecutive (first as South Bend 1968). Arriving Tuesday the 28th departing Sunday the 2nd. I am scheduled to put on a program on Friday the 31st at the Laquinta. Stop by and spend an hour or so.
Dick --- Since you went to South Bend in '68, won't Tacoma be your 51st consecutive meet if you've been to all the others in between? I now retain that basic arithmetic from the 3rd grade (the hardest three years of my life)

Tom

StudeNorm
08-22-2018, 12:01 AM
I just informed my navigator we will be leaving Sunday for a Wednesday arrival. Lots of time for detours, I hope. I have just been informed the trailer I want to borrow may not be ready. That sucks...

There are more people heading out of Edmonton but I do not know their plans.

Later.

Studebaker Wheel
08-22-2018, 02:17 AM
Dick --- Since you went to South Bend in '68, won't Tacoma be your 51st consecutive meet if you've been to all the others in between? I now retain that basic arithmetic from the 3rd grade (the hardest three years of my life)

Tom

You are correct Tom. Thought about that as I was typing it! Have been telling everyone it is my 50th but it will be my 51st. What do I win??

David56j
08-22-2018, 10:12 AM
We will drive over on Tuesday and stay until Sunday. I just got the '62 Hawk back from the paint shop yesterday and will get it back together as much as I can before then. I will be wearing my "Forum" badge.

candbstudebakers
08-22-2018, 11:04 AM
So miracles do happen. Last week I was sure I was going to miss one of my chances to fill a bucket list item, going to Tacoma. My health issues have destroyed our finances and my health has been suspect. I knew I was meeting with my doctors this week and figured they would say not to go. So first my little brother bought me a plane ticket. Yesterday my doctor was amazed that all but on tumor had not grown. The one that did grow only grew by less than a centimeter. He told me that I needed to keep doing whatever I was doing as it was working for me. So unless my other oncologist says otherwise (I might not listen) I will be flying out on Tuesday and flying back home on Sunday. My little brother Bill, 1957 Golden Hawk and my older brother Ed, 1955 President will be enjoying my company and I hope to meet as many of you as possible. I have come to think of you as family over these past few years and would like to put a face with the names. I look forward to experiencing this event and then checking off another bucket list item.

Dan nice to hear that you might be able to make the meet, look for me on my little blue scooter, I can walk ok but legs and feet have problems after a while, also have vending space out side with my friend Anthony doing the selling. See you there Dan...

Hallabutt
08-22-2018, 01:13 PM
I second all that Dick Steinkemp said about never having seen anything like the prevalent heat and smoke conditions that we have experienced this year. Our summer weather is generally moderated by the westerly onshore flow from the Pacific. The last two years it has been hotter then normal, for longer, without our blessed onshore flow to cool and scour out trapped stagnant air. The hot conditions have contributed to massive fires to the north, south, and east. Any change of wind direction, except out offshore flow, brings in smoke from a different direction.

The good news is that our heat and smoky conditions are predicted to moderate later this afternoon. Then it seems as though our cooler weather will return and should be with us through, at least the middle of next week. This means that our normal 70-80 degree, low humidity weather should be with us for awhile. Keeping our fingers crossed, but as of right now our local weather conditions should not be looked at as a travel deterrent.

Alchemist
08-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Will be leaving Fernie BC on Monday, to Spokane, then to arrive in Tacoma on Tues. I will bring a small umbrella to ward off the showers I hope will arrive to be appreciated and enjoyed.
Francis Prefontaine
Rolly View, Alberta

mapman
08-22-2018, 02:26 PM
We are planning to leave Tuesday morning. It looks like it will be a pleasant drive across Washington. We will be driving a white Avanti.
Rob

Alan
08-22-2018, 02:28 PM
I will be there Wed. How are we going to find each other? Every time I go to one of these meets and ask about forum members, the people I ask give me that dumb look.

Hallabutt
08-22-2018, 02:40 PM
Francis,

Hope you umbrella brings some showers! We usually don't get much in the summer, but we really haven't gotten any since May!

StudeRich
08-22-2018, 04:10 PM
I will be there Wed. How are we going to find each other? Every time I go to one of these meets and ask about forum members, the people I ask give me that dumb look.

We usually have Local Members and Forum Members hang out and kick tires at our outdoor swap stall.
Not sure how we are situated as far as direct sunlight, but we have tents for Sun or Rain. Coffee in the AM, water for the day and some snacks.

Look for the Big X-U-Haul Van.

BYOC, bring your own Chairs! :)

Dwain G.
08-22-2018, 06:50 PM
Long term weather forecast is calling for possible showers next week. If so, it will be the first rain in months! Rain here usually is gentle, is often called Oregon Mist (missed). Locals don't often carry umbrellas.

Also, try to stay off I-5 in the area around the Tacoma Dome. It's pure congestion, day and night.

(S)
08-22-2018, 08:00 PM
I'll be in the Studebakers Northwest area. Alan-- Plenty of room to sit awhile and meet up with forum members.

Billyhawk
08-22-2018, 09:00 PM
I will pick up my brother Dan Tuesday and will be there Wednesday thru Saturday. Looking forward to meeting everyone and maybe pickup some parts for my Hawk.

tsenecal
08-23-2018, 04:10 AM
We will be heading up into Montana on the 24th, then on to Washington on the 28th. My 60 Hawk will be coming along on the trailer.
It is barely finished, and I didn't really have time to do many test drives, so I didn't feel comfortable heading out on a 3000 mile trip. It will be fun to have it there, and I can fine tune it, when time allows. See you there.

Stu Chapman
08-23-2018, 06:12 AM
Thelma and I have fortunately been able to make arrangements to attend and will fly in on Wednesday morning and will be staying until Saturday morning. We will be at the Tacoma Dome and look forward to seeing all our Studebaker friends again.

Stu Chapman

55coupe
08-23-2018, 09:11 AM
Leaving Sacramento early Monday meeting up with folks in Dunnigan for breakfast then on to Eugene. Hit the road early and arrive in the afternoon Tuesday. I don’t think you can say enough about the fires or the fire fighters I hope we all get a brake from these fires looking forward to a good time.

(S)
08-23-2018, 06:53 PM
Our smoke is clearing today, looks like a chance of rain. It got really bad up here up until last night. I hope its rains now so it may skip over us during the meet...

whitehawk759
08-23-2018, 07:18 PM
As of right now it has cleared up and is nice out. Hopefully will stay that way. See you there.