PDA

View Full Version : 1962 Hawk 289 with 4-speed

chet445
08-18-2018, 11:56 AM
I bought this car thinking it was a real good find. Wrong! It needed to be taken apart instead of just fixing things but I chose to fix things.There are still a few hurdles to get over but it is coming along right nicely. The reason...I chose to fill it with loving kindness even to the point of polishing the paint. What a difference that has made. Do you suppose change of mind has helped also? Something to think about when the going gets tough. Chet445

sals54
08-18-2018, 12:13 PM
What a tease you are. Where's the pictures? How can we believe the car even exists without pictures?

Jerry Forrester
08-18-2018, 12:55 PM
What a tease you are. Where's the pictures? How can we believe the car even exists without pictures?

Yeah. What Sals54 said.

PackardV8
08-18-2018, 02:05 PM
Well, even without photos, you've confirmed what many here have suggested. Keep driving it and keep fixing things. More good cars have perished because they really "needed to be taken apart". Disassembly is easy to say and do; it's the putting back together correctly which is beyond the budget and ability and enthusiasm of some.

jack vines

chet445
08-18-2018, 06:40 PM
If I could find the icons I would post pictures.

sals54
08-18-2018, 08:35 PM
We're just kiddin ya chet. Post em when ya get em.

chet445
08-18-2018, 09:31 PM
I may have figured out how to post a picture or two. If car parts show up just ignore.7492174922

Jerry Forrester
08-18-2018, 10:06 PM
Wow. That's beautiful. Of all the GT's the 62 is my favorite.

Mrs K Corbin
08-20-2018, 06:43 AM
Well, even without photos, you've confirmed what many here have suggested. Keep driving it and keep fixing things. More good cars have perished because they really "needed to be taken apart". Disassembly is easy to say and do; it's the putting back together correctly which is beyond the budget and ability and enthusiasm of some.

jack vines

Jack is correct: I've got one of the remaining 58 Transtar V8 Auto trucks that after starting an Off Frame (media blasting EVERYTHING), and getting the cab and front fenders and engine back on, may perish as NO Body Shop will touch it without an OPEN WALLET! (END OF RANT)

sals54
08-20-2018, 10:34 AM
I love it. Very nice. And I love the look of the Golden Hawk hood on it. Fabulous.

chet445
08-20-2018, 04:58 PM
Need to add one more complaint. I have rebuilt the front suspension and new shocks on the rear. The vehicle is an absolutely rough riding vehicle; do you suppose it might be the new tires. Rough riding takes away the pleasure of driving. I probably have 100 miles on it at best.

Bud
08-20-2018, 05:05 PM
I've owned my 1962 Hawk since 1975 and I have no complaints with the way it rides. I've rebuilt the suspension all the way around and used heavier duty springs and while the suspension stiffened up a bit, it is still a nice riding vehicle. Any GT Hawk that I've owned over the years and any that I've ridden in have had a fairly smooth ride. There is a possibility that there is an issue with the tires, but I don't know. Bud

JRoberts
08-20-2018, 06:57 PM
I love that color. You certainly did polish it up.

drrotor
08-21-2018, 09:06 AM
Need to add one more complaint. I have rebuilt the front suspension and new shocks on the rear. The vehicle is an absolutely rough riding vehicle; do you suppose it might be the new tires. Rough riding takes away the pleasure of driving. I probably have 100 miles on it at best.

Sounds like it would be wise to have another Hawk owner ride in your car to make a comparison. I have several Hawks and find the ride to be quite nice.

StudeNorm
08-21-2018, 09:39 AM
You say you rebuilt the front end and replaced rear shocks. GT's are very sensitive to weak springs front and rear. They aren't hard to replace up front or install an overload leaf in back. If you have already done this you may have tire/alignment issues. Drop your pressures to about 26psi and see if there is a difference. My Avanti was a total bear when I got it, fighting me all the way, but after giving it all new/rebuilt springs and shocks and setting up the alignment properly for performance radials (which means not to factory spec) it drives like it is on rails. The tightest steering Stude I have owned, and I have had maybe up to 30 registered through the years. Poor ride and handling is not fun!

Harryhawk
08-21-2018, 10:08 PM
To chet445, I'd like to read more about your 62GT being a rough ride, could you describe what you are actually experiencing when you are driving it. Is it rattling, wandering, over/under steering, bottoming out ...? Cheers Harryhawk

chet445
08-23-2018, 08:49 AM
To Harryhawk, I completely rebuilt the front suspension including new coil springs from SDI. Replaced all shocks using prescribed ones for the car. In the rear I have done nothing with the leaf springs except new shackle bushings. When you drive the car down the road it recognizes every small bump in the road...very discouraging. The car has been aligned according to specs and tracks very well and steers easily. With all that effort I expect a better ride. I once had '53 C/K and it road well. The only other thing I can do is rebuild the leaf springs but don't believe that would help the overall issue. Thoughts appreciated.

TWChamp
08-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Back in the 60's and 70's my Commanders and Land Cruiser also rode well with regular bias ply tires. The 50 Land Cruiser I just bought also rides well but with it's old bias tires, it liked to be pulled by the cracks in the road. My new radials took care of that pretty well.
Do you have radials for your new tires?

StudeRich
08-23-2018, 03:02 PM
It would be important to know exactly WHAT Part Number Front Springs you bought from this "SDI Co."?

The H.D. or Air Cond. Springs can make for a pretty harsh ride especially if they are not to the correct spec or needed for this particular Car.

Also WHAT Shocks are they, Gabriel H.D. Gas OEM replacements or something else?

chet445
08-23-2018, 08:27 PM
I went back into my receipts from SDI and the coil springs they sent are specific for 1953-66 V-8's standard duty. The shocks were Gabriel HD for 1962 Lark from Autozone. I have not looked closely at the tire makeup but they are Firestone and I think maybe bias; they look good on the car. StudeRich that is the best I can offer.

Harryhawk
08-23-2018, 11:43 PM
Hi chet445, if you did the rebuild yourself I'm probably going over old ground but you'll know exactly what I'm talking about, and not being condescending. I have 4 points. 1. Square flat end of springs go to bottom with the natural lean towards engine and seated in the tunnel. 2. Correct spreading of outer control arms for installation of outer pins and threaded bushes making sure they move freely when tightened. 3. Tighten cap screws on control arms when full weight of car is on the ground and bounced a few times and check occasionally for tightness. 4. I have been told that when getting a front wheel alignment that it's possible to use all the thread on the Upper outer pin trying to get the correct camber and caster therefore binding the end of the pins against the thread bush. Any binding is going to restrict the vertical movement of the suspension. Best way to check there is no binding in the pins is to liberally grease the bushes and see if the grease flows freely through and out where the round dust cover rubbers are. BTW that is a nice looking GT you've got. Cheers Harryhawk

jimmijim8
08-24-2018, 08:05 PM

jack vines Ain't it the truth. yes it is. cheers jimmijim

chet445
09-14-2018, 10:21 AM
I think I may have figured out why this car is rough riding. I looked closely at the rear springs and discovered both rear shackles are touching the frame. Looking at the springs one is flat and the other has a reverse arch. There should be an arch; I have ordered new springs. I checked other comments about springs and determined new is the best way to go.

StudeRich
09-14-2018, 03:25 PM
Chet, I am glad that you found at least one of the problems, maybe all, contributing to poor ride. :cool:

It definitely is NOT normal for a C or K Model to ride rough.
Bias Ply Tires normally are harsher riding then the Radials, but not terrible.

jimmijim8
09-14-2018, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=chet445;1123958]To Harryhawk, I completely rebuilt the front suspension including new coil springs from SDI. Replaced all shocks using prescribed ones for the car. In the rear I have done nothing with the leaf springs except new shackle bushings. When you drive the car down the road it recognizes every small bump in the road...very discouraging. The car has been aligned according to specs and tracks very well and steers easily. With all that effort I expect a better ride. I once had '53 C/K and it road well. The only other thing I can do is rebuild the leaf springs but don't believe that would help the overall issue. Thoughts appreciated.[/QUOTE Do you have power steering? -----nothing to do with hard ride? ------- Did you use the A frame{control arm}] spreader tool upon reassembly of the upper and lower outer pins and trunnion bushings. This procedure must be followed. Check your shop manual. You have to do this job correctly. PS my 63 GT rides smoothly.That is why I like it. cheers jimmijim