KUDOS and CAUTIONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KUDOS and CAUTIONS

I haven't made a general post like this in a year or so but feel it's time to review a couple of things regarding the forum.

First, the kudos:

I wish to sincerely thank this forum community for the high level of assistance it continues to offer those with questions and problems with their Studebakers. The readiness and willingness to offer advise and experience really sets this forum (and club) apart from most others. I know, for the many of you with extensive Studebaker knowledge, that repeating essentially the same things many times over seems redundant, but the search function isn't perfect, and the fact that you all continually step up with the info is gratifying and greatly appreciated.

I also extend kudos to the forum community for its overall conduct, especially over the last six months or so. I appreciate that you have found ways to express your views without alienating others, debate without unproductive arguing, agreeing to disagree, and yes, sometimes just letting it pass.

That said, here are a couple of cautions I'd appreciate the community paying closer attention to this year:

OFF-TOPIC posts. This is a Studebaker forum for the discussion of Studebakers. Please avoid discussions on other topics. There are other forums and newsgroups that offer people more latitude in their discussion topics. These forums have always had a link on the SDC website for members' convenience. Examples:

Anyway, it seems like there has been a lot more off-topic posts lately so let's please keep the discussions Studebaker related. I understand that this sometimes is a gray area and I try not to be hard-nose about it. If one feels the need to put an "OT" in the title of the post that's a pretty good clue not to post it. Please help me keep the focus on Studebakers.

FOR SALE policy. Many in today's larger forum community do not remember all the discussions, arguments and such that happened before the SDC Board formally set forth the policy that we try to operate under today. That approved formal policy forum members asked for is set forth here: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=3076
    I know what all the arguments for and against the specifics of the policy are but, nonetheless, this is the policy approved by the SDC board and I respectfully ask that forum members keep this in mind when posting/promoting items for sale.

Anyway, thanks again for your participation and continued support of this SDC sponsored Studebaker forum!

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

And thank YOU, Mr. Shaw, for putting up with all the madness.

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

And thank YOU, Mr. Shaw, for putting up with all the madness.

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

This by far is one of the most pleasurable forums I visit, people express an opinion without the venom. They also jump in to help a person with a problem or just a question.

Great Job Mr Shaw!

It is an addiction!
        It is an addiction!

Comment

This by far is one of the most pleasurable forums I visit, people express an opinion without the venom. They also jump in to help a person with a problem or just a question.

Great Job Mr Shaw!

It is an addiction!
          It is an addiction!

Comment

I'd like to repeat one statement by Mr. Shaw:
            "I know, for the many of you with extensive Studebaker knowledge, that repeating essentially the same things many times over seems redundant, but the search function isn't perfect, and the fact that you all continually step up with the info is gratifying and greatly appreciated."
            The time taken to answer questions by us newer folks is really appreciated. Many times photos are taken or items scanned to clarify answers. This takes time and again, it's appreciated.

Perry
            '23 Special Six,
            '50 Business Champ,
            '50 Starlight Champ,
            '60 Lark droptop,
            '63 GT R1
            Perry
            \'50 Business Champion
            \'50 Starlight Champion
            \'60 Lark Convertible,
            \'63 GT R1,
            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I'd like to repeat one statement by Mr. Shaw:
              "I know, for the many of you with extensive Studebaker knowledge, that repeating essentially the same things many times over seems redundant, but the search function isn't perfect, and the fact that you all continually step up with the info is gratifying and greatly appreciated."
              The time taken to answer questions by us newer folks is really appreciated. Many times photos are taken or items scanned to clarify answers. This takes time and again, it's appreciated.

Perry
              '23 Special Six,
              '50 Business Champ,
              '50 Starlight Champ,
              '60 Lark droptop,
              '63 GT R1
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Thanks Bob... you wield the club in the hand of a velvet glove quite admirably! [^]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks Bob... you wield the club in the hand of a velvet glove quite admirably! [^]

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Bob, I also thank you for all you do. This is by far the best- and most civil- of all the forums I follow.

I do respectfully disagree with you on the subject of OT posts. I think the vast majority of the conversation here is Stude stuff, as intended. But I think you're overlooking a very important aspect: community.

We all have come here, and participate, based on a common interest- Studebakers. But for me, the reason I am here several times a day is the connection with the others- a sense of family! So it seems only natural that the participants may drift slightly OT from time to time. Of course, we need to avoid getting into pages of totally unrelated banter; but I don't think this forum is anywhere near that.

I can tell you that my heavy interest and involvement in Studebakers is due mostly to this forum! Why? I love the cars- but I love most classic cars- in fact, lots of newer ones also... so that's not the reason. It's very simple: I truly enjoy the people here! I still own- and love- my Lincolns; that'll never change. I plan to have a decent size collection of older cars... there are many I was pursuing before getting involved in Studes. But frankly, my interest in them has waned somewhat- including the Lincolns- to be replaced by Studes as more models win me over. As I see it, this is a natural progression based upon the fact that I feel connected to so many people here. So the people have grown my love of the marque, and my love of the marque has grown my interest in the people! I look forward to the Meets; SB was my first International Meet, and what a great time it was for me! Of course I loved the cars, and the Museum; but by far it was meeting, in person, the people I had come to know through this forum that made it such an incredible time!

I would ask, please don't stifle the sense of community we currently have here. I would have hated to not have known about, and therefore not have been able to offer my support for, Anne's son's accident, or her brother passing away; or been able to send comfort to Walt Zander's widow, a total stranger, who was SO grateful that we knew him, and cared about HIM, not just his Stude. And there are so many other examples, every day. I'm always looking for more Stude knowledge, and almost all I've learned about them has come from this forum... but just as much, I enjoy getting to know the others here as people, and people have other interests, and other aspects of their life! It is clear from other forums I've seen that OT discussions have to be very restricted; politics and religion never work without causing problems. But I feel that when someone shares a post that's a little OT, you get to know someone as a person, and what they're like, and where they're at in life a little better. And that's a good thing! I sometimes go OT, but it's to offer those that are interested a little piece of insight as to who I am; something folks naturally want to do when they care about others. When someone posts about having a bad day, they're looking for support from people, not Studebakers. And to me, that's a badge of honor for the Forum, and it's administrator!

Here I go OT: I went through a stretch of deaths that really took more out of me than I realized. 6 people closed to me were lost in less than a year's time- among those a childhood sweetheart with whom I was still very close, stabbed to death by her husband. I took all I had just to look her teenage son and daughter in the face again. Another was my cousin's husband, 27 years my senior, who was like a father to me, and my near-constant companion, suddenly and unexpectedly dead at a VERY healthy-appearing 70 from a heart attack. That was about the time I retired from oval-track racing, and got involved with Studes. My involvement with the forum started around then- and it helped fill a few big holes in my life for a while; and for that I am eternally grateful! Were this site merely a collection of info on Studes, it would be nice

Comment

Bob, I also thank you for all you do. This is by far the best- and most civil- of all the forums I follow.

I do respectfully disagree with you on the subject of OT posts. I think the vast majority of the conversation here is Stude stuff, as intended. But I think you're overlooking a very important aspect: community.

We all have come here, and participate, based on a common interest- Studebakers. But for me, the reason I am here several times a day is the connection with the others- a sense of family! So it seems only natural that the participants may drift slightly OT from time to time. Of course, we need to avoid getting into pages of totally unrelated banter; but I don't think this forum is anywhere near that.

I can tell you that my heavy interest and involvement in Studebakers is due mostly to this forum! Why? I love the cars- but I love most classic cars- in fact, lots of newer ones also... so that's not the reason. It's very simple: I truly enjoy the people here! I still own- and love- my Lincolns; that'll never change. I plan to have a decent size collection of older cars... there are many I was pursuing before getting involved in Studes. But frankly, my interest in them has waned somewhat- including the Lincolns- to be replaced by Studes as more models win me over. As I see it, this is a natural progression based upon the fact that I feel connected to so many people here. So the people have grown my love of the marque, and my love of the marque has grown my interest in the people! I look forward to the Meets; SB was my first International Meet, and what a great time it was for me! Of course I loved the cars, and the Museum; but by far it was meeting, in person, the people I had come to know through this forum that made it such an incredible time!

I would ask, please don't stifle the sense of community we currently have here. I would have hated to not have known about, and therefore not have been able to offer my support for, Anne's son's accident, or her brother passing away; or been able to send comfort to Walt Zander's widow, a total stranger, who was SO grateful that we knew him, and cared about HIM, not just his Stude. And there are so many other examples, every day. I'm always looking for more Stude knowledge, and almost all I've learned about them has come from this forum... but just as much, I enjoy getting to know the others here as people, and people have other interests, and other aspects of their life! It is clear from other forums I've seen that OT discussions have to be very restricted; politics and religion never work without causing problems. But I feel that when someone shares a post that's a little OT, you get to know someone as a person, and what they're like, and where they're at in life a little better. And that's a good thing! I sometimes go OT, but it's to offer those that are interested a little piece of insight as to who I am; something folks naturally want to do when they care about others. When someone posts about having a bad day, they're looking for support from people, not Studebakers. And to me, that's a badge of honor for the Forum, and it's administrator!

Here I go OT: I went through a stretch of deaths that really took more out of me than I realized. 6 people closed to me were lost in less than a year's time- among those a childhood sweetheart with whom I was still very close, stabbed to death by her husband. I took all I had just to look her teenage son and daughter in the face again. Another was my cousin's husband, 27 years my senior, who was like a father to me, and my near-constant companion, suddenly and unexpectedly dead at a VERY healthy-appearing 70 from a heart attack. That was about the time I retired from oval-track racing, and got involved with Studes. My involvement with the forum started around then- and it helped fill a few big holes in my life for a while; and for that I am eternally grateful! Were this site merely a collection of info on Studes, it would be nice

Comment

To Mr. Shaw - Thanks for the reminder, Bob, and thanks for keeping watch over our beloved Forum.

I would also like to say to Bob Andrews and you - I agree with Bob. As a Bob myself, I also find the human element here as important as the Studebaker element. The personal and sometimes OT thoughts that some are willing to share are also important and make it real (like a family) for me.

I often communicate directly with other Forum members through email when I have something to say I don't feel would be of interest to all or to say something I feel should be private. As long as we swear off personal attacks, undue criticism, off-color comments and definitely leave off-limits such touchy topics as race, creed, gender, religion, and politics, I think some other OTs are okay.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                        53 Starliner Hardtop
                        Newton Grove, NC

Comment

To Mr. Shaw - Thanks for the reminder, Bob, and thanks for keeping watch over our beloved Forum.

I would also like to say to Bob Andrews and you - I agree with Bob. As a Bob myself, I also find the human element here as important as the Studebaker element. The personal and sometimes OT thoughts that some are willing to share are also important and make it real (like a family) for me.

I often communicate directly with other Forum members through email when I have something to say I don't feel would be of interest to all or to say something I feel should be private. As long as we swear off personal attacks, undue criticism, off-color comments and definitely leave off-limits such touchy topics as race, creed, gender, religion, and politics, I think some other OTs are okay.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                          53 Starliner Hardtop
                          Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Well, the only real problem we seem to have now is too many BOBS! Feaganes, Andrews, Shaw, Kabchef, me, etc, etc....we need to adopt some new names to ease the confusion. (Just kidding.)

I agree with the two previous Bobs; the OT postings seem modest enough, and do add a sense of community. They also prove what a small world it is; to wit:

Jacob Newkirk is a frequent poster [what, not a BOB?] from Owensboro KY, south of Indiana across the Ohio River, somewhat removed from central Indiana. But awhile back, Jacob made a couple references to central Indiana Newkirks. I recognized Newkirk as the maiden name of my college roommate's wife Janet, so I casually asked younger Jacob if he was related to a former Janet Newkirk (now Armbruster), who was married to my former roommate at Purdue, Don Armbruster of Crawfordsville, in west central Indiana.

Sure enough, Jacob replied that Janet Newkirk was his father's cousin, and Jacob well knew Janet and her husband Don! As big as the world is, those kind of coincidences amaze me.

And that wasn't the end of it. I sent Jacob a period photograph of Don and I in front of The Boilermaker Special locomotive at Purdue, taken in the fall of 1968. (In addition to being roommates and friends, Don and I were also officers in The Purdue Reamer Club, an upperclassmen's service organization whose principle mission at Purdue is the care and feeding of Purdue University's Official Mascot, The Boilermaker Special locomotive.)

Jacob, in turn, sent me a photo of himself and several others in the tender of the current Boilermaker Special, taken a couple years ago when he was one of the members of a wedding party at Purdue that contracted with The Purdue Reamer Club to have The Boilermaker Special as part of that wedding.

Now, to complete the loop and get back to Studebakers: Many of you know the original Purdue Boilermaker Special mascot locomotive, BMS I, was built on a brand-new 1939/1940 Studebaker Champion chassis donated to Purdue University for that purpose by The Studebaker Corporation! [:0]

....and now you know "the rest of the story."

So keep a lid on the group as best you can, Bob Shaw, and thanks for all you do. (To clear up the confusion, maybe you could be Bob-1 and we other Bobs will fall in the order we joined the group; Bob-2 for Kabchef if he joined second, etc. You'd have to let us know the order in which we "bobbed" into the pool.) [:0] [8D]BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well, the only real problem we seem to have now is too many BOBS! Feaganes, Andrews, Shaw, Kabchef, me, etc, etc....we need to adopt some new names to ease the confusion. (Just kidding.)

I agree with the two previous Bobs; the OT postings seem modest enough, and do add a sense of community. They also prove what a small world it is; to wit:

Jacob Newkirk is a frequent poster [what, not a BOB?] from Owensboro KY, south of Indiana across the Ohio River, somewhat removed from central Indiana. But awhile back, Jacob made a couple references to central Indiana Newkirks. I recognized Newkirk as the maiden name of my college roommate's wife Janet, so I casually asked younger Jacob if he was related to a former Janet Newkirk (now Armbruster), who was married to my former roommate at Purdue, Don Armbruster of Crawfordsville, in west central Indiana.

Sure enough, Jacob replied that Janet Newkirk was his father's cousin, and Jacob well knew Janet and her husband Don! As big as the world is, those kind of coincidences amaze me.

And that wasn't the end of it. I sent Jacob a period photograph of Don and I in front of The Boilermaker Special locomotive at Purdue, taken in the fall of 1968. (In addition to being roommates and friends, Don and I were also officers in The Purdue Reamer Club, an upperclassmen's service organization whose principle mission at Purdue is the care and feeding of Purdue University's Official Mascot, The Boilermaker Special locomotive.)

Jacob, in turn, sent me a photo of himself and several others in the tender of the current Boilermaker Special, taken a couple years ago when he was one of the members of a wedding party at Purdue that contracted with The Purdue Reamer Club to have The Boilermaker Special as part of that wedding.

Now, to complete the loop and get back to Studebakers: Many of you know the original Purdue Boilermaker Special mascot locomotive, BMS I, was built on a brand-new 1939/1940 Studebaker Champion chassis donated to Purdue University for that purpose by The Studebaker Corporation! [:0]

....and now you know "the rest of the story."

So keep a lid on the group as best you can, Bob Shaw, and thanks for all you do. (To clear up the confusion, maybe you could be Bob-1 and we other Bobs will fall in the order we joined the group; Bob-2 for Kabchef if he joined second, etc. You'd have to let us know the order in which we "bobbed" into the pool.) [:0] [8D]BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X