PDA

View Full Version : Garage squad works on 1959 Scottsman truck

rkapteyn
08-16-2018, 11:40 AM
https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/GARAGE-SQUAD-Helps-Desperate-Owners-Transform-Automotive-Nightmares-Into-Delightful-Dream-Rides-20180815

This will be shown on October 10 2018

tim333
08-16-2018, 11:54 AM
Actually, episode airs October 3rd.

rkapteyn
08-19-2018, 11:17 AM
Confusion!!
The owner told me that it would air October 10.
I will check on that.

Dwain G.
08-19-2018, 11:41 AM
IMDb shows it as Oct. 10th.

S5, Ep7
10 Oct. 2018 A Studebaker for a Studebaker
Rate
This 8th generation member of the Studebaker family got a hold of this '59 Studebaker pickup on eBay. The Squad discovers it has turned into the mechanical black sheep of the family.

tim333
08-19-2018, 01:39 PM
What is IMBd? The link Bob provided shows the Garage Squad schedule, scrolling down shows Studebaker on October 3rd.

raoul5788
08-19-2018, 02:03 PM
What is IMBd? The link Bob provided shows the Garage Squad schedule, scrolling down shows Studebaker on October 3rd.

www.imdb.com

studegary
08-19-2018, 06:42 PM
www.imdb.com (http://www.imdb.com)

I see what IMBd is, but I still do not know what the abbreviation ("acronym") stands for (even after going to their "help" site).

raoul5788
08-19-2018, 08:15 PM
I see what IMBd is, but I still do not know what the abbreviation ("acronym") stands for (even after going to their "help" site).

Internet Movie Data Base
It's imdb, not imbd

Dwain G.
10-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Check your TV listings for this evening. Garage Squad on Velocity channel redoes a '59 Stude pickup.

JRoberts
10-10-2018, 08:40 PM
I'm watching it right now.

tsenecal
10-10-2018, 10:24 PM
I ended up watching the program. It was interesting that the family's name was Studebaker. They did what they could, with a short period of time, but it looks like the truck could use a little more TLC in the future. Still, a good episode with the Studebaker brand, put into the limelight.

sals54
10-11-2018, 01:01 AM
I just finished watching it also. I don't think they'll do another Studebaker anytime soon. I usually like the show, (for the episodes I've seen anyway), but there sure was a lot of griping about this and that relating to the Studebaker. How could the truck owner not have all the parts he needed for the transplant of a V8 replacing the Scotsman's 6 cyl? He certainly should have had more contacts ready for the needed parts. Those pieces are dime a dozen for most Stude folks. The workers were rigging and fabbing parts which should have been easily obtainable.
Anyhoo... the truck got done and appears to be driveable. He's happy and I'm happy for him. I'm not sure it did the Studebaker brand much good. Some exposure, but not without a lot of complaining.

Pat Dilling
10-15-2018, 11:43 PM
I was impressed that they tackled the rebuild of the R1 without hesitation. And the Joe said he had done one or more in the past.

StudeRich
10-16-2018, 01:59 AM
All of that custom fabrication was totally unnecessary, all they had to do is look up the Truck V8 Engine, Clutch and Trans. Parts in the Parts Catalog, source them from Club Members and Studebaker Vendors BEFORE the show.
Then show the world how easy it IS when you know what you are doing! ;)

This is exactly how it is done on the better Velocity Shows with a real shop and lots of Chevy, Ford or MoPar Parts sources.

It was scary to watch them fighting it the whole way and saying how hard it would be to find the Parts they needed and then made do without them.
Like cutting up a good floor when the engine was in the wrong location to fit the clutch linkage and Trans. floor shifter.

Then installing an R1 Avanti Engine in a 6 Cyl. '59 Scotsman Truck without Dialing in the Clutch Housing. :(
And they built it with a 3 Speed Manual with NO Overdrive!

Apparently, Scott Studebaker was not connected with the SDC at all.

It all came out OK (for now) but could have been SO much better.