PDA

View Full Version : A Stude. owner in need of an AXLE for a '47 Champion

StudeRich
08-15-2018, 04:09 PM
As most of you know I almost NEVER create New Strings here, I just try to help those who Post to ask for help.

But this was an urgent request from our SDC Automatic Transmission professional in the Portland OR area, Chuck Tubens.
Apparently an acquaintance of his is in desperate need of a replacement Axle Shaft for his '47 Champion.

I came up with Part Number 521594 for 6G to 9G '47-'50 Champions, I do not know why the '51-'52 10G, 12G 530449 Part Number is different, but has to be somewhat similar.

As far as I know the Length did not change until 1953 on these Champion Model 23's and also the Commander Model 44's.

We could not find a match for it in stock here, and as of the 1961 Parts and Accessory Price List (Book F), there was no Superseding Part Number for it.

Can ANYONE Help?

8E45E
08-15-2018, 06:19 PM
Had I only known!! These were 'for the taking' in Portland last April:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1818/43341210094_32122d5c40_b.jpg

Craig

gordr
08-15-2018, 07:27 PM
There may be some in our chapter's parts stash at the farm. We hauled a lot of stuff from there today. I know I saw 4-lug Champion brake drums, so there's a good chance there may be an axle there to match. There was pile of loose axle shafts. Maybe I can swing by there tomorrow and have a quick look.

wdills
08-15-2018, 07:45 PM
I believe Stephen Allens was have them reproduced. Not sure if they are available yet.

Greenstude
08-15-2018, 08:26 PM
I learned the following when replacing a broken axle shaft on my '47 Champion last year. The '51 - '52 axle shaft is the same length as the '47 - '50, and looks the same. However the newer shaft has a greater diameter and is not interchangeable.

When installing the new shaft, it is extremely important the the axle bearing be installed on the tapered shaft in exactly the correct location, by someone who knows what he/she is doing. If not far enough on the shaft it will be loose. If the bearing is slightly too far on the shaft, the bearing may seize, overheat and disintegrate. This allows the axle shaft and wheel to come loose from the axle housing.

BRUCESTUDE
08-15-2018, 10:21 PM
I have a complete 4:55 rear end out of a 52 Champion, free....5 lug wheels is the only problem with it.

(S)
08-15-2018, 11:20 PM
The part number has to be for a '47 as noted in post #6. If it comes to swapping the whole thing, back to the parts books. They would have the chance to just upgrade to '54 brakes if a '52 even fits in there. I was looking for the axles the other day and some were an inch longer..... i'll grab the part numbers

gordr
08-16-2018, 12:24 AM
IIRC, the axles used with the 4-lug hubs were thinner, and had a smaller diameter taper section.

gordr
08-19-2018, 12:02 AM
Well, i went to the parts stash today. Found a 4-lug Champion rear drum. Also found 4 Champion rear axles; all missing drums, and one missing the axle shafts, too. Tried fitting the 4-lug drum on the three axles with shafts, and on all of them, the drum would only go on until the end of the axle thread was flush with the outer face of the hub, Taper in drum was too small for the axle taper. I could see where the hole in the hub bottomed out on the axle taper. So those three axles are presumably from '51 to '53 Champions, since they all had the two brake adjusting cams on their backing plates. Maybe the rear end missing its axles was from a '47 to '50, but the axles could not be found. Well, I have a few places here that I can look tomorrow, but I am not too confident of finding any.

StudeRich
08-19-2018, 01:03 AM
Thanks a lot for trying Gord, you win some and lose some. :)

Bellingham Studenut
08-19-2018, 11:43 AM
Thanks a lot for trying Gord, you win some and lose some. :)

I have a good complete axle from a 48 Champion.

James

gordr
08-19-2018, 11:13 PM
Well, I looked today, in the other places that might have had the axles, and no dice. Best get the one from James Bell.

Hallabutt
08-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Mary says she thinks that she might have a differential that she got from Don Greeland. It was for parts for her 1950 Champ. She just went down to the shop to look, considering the circumstances I should probably go down and help. Will let you know in a few.-Bill

Hallabutt
08-20-2018, 02:49 PM
We have the diff here. The left axle is there, and seems to be in good shape. RE is missing the two drums and backing plates and the right axle shaft. I asked her whether she was sure if it was right for the application, to which she said that all she knows is that it served as a parts donor for an axle for her 1950 Champ. If Chuck wants to pick it up here in Hobart (Maple Valley) we are glad to help. Everyone needs a friend like Chuck, he help so many in the Studebaker community.-Bill

mbstude
08-21-2018, 06:49 AM
I believe Stephen Allens was have them reproduced. Not sure if they are available yet.

It’s been a slow process, but it’s happening. We got a call from the manufacturer yesterday and the first 2 samples are ready to ship. Once we get them in, we’ll install them in a ‘50 Champion and see if there are any changes that need to be made before production. Fingers crossed!

unclemiltie
08-22-2018, 09:52 AM
If there is still a need for an axle shaft, I have a good used one. Sorry for delay in responding but had to move cars to get to it (I have too much studebaker stuff, yes) I will be glad to ship at cost.