PDA

View Full Version : Hotel rooms in South Bend?

Bob Andrews
08-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Calling on South Bend locals, do you have a recommendation for a hotel in or near South Bend? Doesn’t have to be fancy, just for one night, with room to park a truck and trailer. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

P.S. to Jim Maxey- i’ve been trying to call you at the number you posted but all I get is a busy signal.

jclary
08-14-2018, 05:07 PM
Think about it Bob...hardly anybody ever stays at a motel in their home area. Not long ago, I was asked about motels in my area and I had to admit I was clueless.:confused: I always stay at home and don't use any local motels.:rolleyes:

But, regarding South Bend, don't discount nearby towns like Elkhart or Plymouth. Very well within commuting distance and usually less money than "In Town" places looking to take advantage of the Notre Dame fame. Of course, there's the usual chain named motels, Comfort Inn, etc. I'm sure. with you...money is not an issue.;) That Comfort Inn that was traditionally used for meet headquarters just off Hwy 31 has sufficient parking for trucks. (I think it might have had a name change. Not sure.)

Hope you folks have a fun visit.:)

8E45E
08-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Think about it Bob...hardly anybody ever stays at a motel in their home area.

I don't get it either; especially in this day and age where one can go online and book a place to stay virtually anywhere in the world. Their websites will state what amenities they offer, including trailer parking, etc., and their rates will clearly posted. Its not like Bob hasn't been to South Bend before.

Craig

skyway
08-14-2018, 05:36 PM
Hey Bob,
Mebbe check out Don Lindner's "Avanti House."
Its a "guest house" so no motel/hotel frills, but reasonably priced, and decorated with lots of Stude&Avanti memorabilia.
Located right across the street from the Studebaker Museum, with an empty lot across Don's back alley.
Gary K

8E45E
08-14-2018, 06:09 PM
Located right across the street from the Studebaker Museum, with an empty lot across Don's back alley.

I would NOT leave anything, even empty of contents, overnight in that area of South Bend; especially on an empty lot.

However, I'm curious. Why would anyone pick up a trailer BEFORE doing the sightseeing in the area, and not AFTER, just before the journey home.

Craig

Chris_Dresbach
08-14-2018, 07:27 PM
I'd recommend the Comfort Suites hotel on the corner of Kern Rd. and U.S. 31. A lot of Studebaker guys stay there during the May meet. The staff there takes good care of Studebaker folks, and the whole area is pretty quiet so you don't have to worry about people screwing with your cars. I live literally around the corner from there.

Bob Andrews
08-14-2018, 07:28 PM
Ok, just for peckerhead Craig- I know about Hotwire and all that. I can easily book through any of those. I just thought somebody local might have a recommendation. And since you’re so worried- the factory only has certain times you can pick up. But thanks for being you. Sorry you’re jealous and have to nitpick every post I write.

Bob Bryant
08-14-2018, 07:37 PM
I have used Microtel Inn on SR933 several times. Comfortable lodging and a good breakfast. There are several motels in that strip north of ND. Jim M. was at the car show this PM at the Wellbrook/NAPA location with two Studebakers.

jclary
08-14-2018, 07:39 PM
I'd recommend the Comfort Suites hotel on the corner of Kern Rd. and U.S. 31. A lot of Studebaker guys stay there during the May meet. The staff there takes good care of Studebaker folks, and the whole area is pretty quiet so you don't have to worry about people screwing with your cars. I live literally around the corner from there.

That's the one I was thinking about in my post above. Good of you to chime in Chris, since you are the first "local" to respond to Bob's request.

Bob Andrews
08-14-2018, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys. There’s always helpful people in this world. Much appreciated.

DieselJim
08-14-2018, 08:13 PM
Bob, I have plenty of room to drop your trailer while in town. About 7 miles West of the Museum.

BobPalma
08-14-2018, 08:24 PM
:) Ditto Posts #6 and #9, Bob.

I always stay in that Comfort Suites when in South Bend. In fact, Cari and I stayed there last Friday night (August 10) before the fancy Concours d'Elegance at Copshaholm Saturday, August 11, where I was to be a judge (and was).

'Nice place as usual; quiet as a church mouse (oops: religion on the forum; bring on the censors!) and clean. Super full breakfast, too. Highly recommended. :cool: BP

studegary
08-14-2018, 08:35 PM
Not a local, but I have stayed in South Bend motels MANY times. After so many bad experiences, I only stay at the Inn at St. Mary's now. They have a lot of room, behind the building, on their property for your rig. They also include an excellent buffet breakfast/meal.

Bob Andrews
08-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Bob, I have plenty of room to drop your trailer while in town. About 7 miles West of the Museum.

Thank you so much Jim, I will probably take you up on that!

8E45E
08-14-2018, 09:36 PM
Not a local, but I have stayed in South Bend motels MANY times. After so many bad experiences, I only stay at the Inn at St. Mary's now.

Like you, I have stayed in South Bend numerous times, both for SDC meets and an ATHS truck show. Having stayed at St. Mary's, I would also recommend it, though it might be pricey for some. (Comfort Inn on U.S. 31 was sold out.).

Perhaps my only bad experience with a hotel in South Bend would have been 30 years ago in 1988 where the Motel 6 had degraded to a 'Welfare Motel' at that time, where one had to dodge throw-up on the sidewalk and empty beer cans on the grass. (It was not like that in 1983). Fortunately, nothing happened to me or the car while I was there. By 2002, when I stayed there again it was all cleaned up and no longer had that reputation.

Craig

Bob Andrews
08-15-2018, 05:34 AM
Thanks again everybody, got my room all booked online. I thought about just waiting till I got there, but this makes it simpler. I do have a sleeper in my truck, but I guess in my old age I am minimizing the use of that :-)

Note to Jim Maxey – I tried to call you several times at the number you gave but all I got was that fast busy signal that might mean there’s a problem with the line. If nothing else I’ll try it again Sunday and if it doesn’t work I’ll try to contact you through this forum. Looking forward to seeing you!

DieselJim
08-15-2018, 06:34 AM
57four-850-101three. It is a Verizon. That might be the problem.

DieselJim
08-15-2018, 06:38 AM
FYI. There is a Holiday Inn Express being built at Ireland and business 31, just north of the 31-20 junction.