PDA

View Full Version : South Bend meet up August 20

Bob Andrews
08-08-2018, 10:05 PM
I will be in Elkhart picking up my new enclosed trailer on Monday August 20, 8AM. After that my plan is to go to the Studebaker Museum. Tuesday morning I am going to the ACD museum before I head back home. It is my understanding that Hooters in Mishawaka is still open, so of course there will be at least one trip there :-)

If anybody wants to go to either museum, or a meal, or even just say hi and have a drink, let me know. I don’t get to see my Studebaker friends nearly enough.

Bill Pressler
08-09-2018, 04:57 AM
I will be in Elkhart picking up my new enclosed trailer on Monday August 20, 8AM. After that my plan is to go to the Studebaker Museum. Tuesday morning I am going to the ACD museum before I head back home. It is my understanding that Hooters in Mishawaka is still open, so of course there will be at least one trip there :-)

If anybody wants to go to either museum, or a meal, or even just say hi and have a drink, let me know. I don’t get to see my Studebaker friends nearly enough.

Enjoy, Bob. I always love going to South Bend. You'll want to make time in Auburn for the NATMUS museum directly behind the A-C-D building too.

Bob Andrews
08-09-2018, 05:05 AM
Thanks, Bill, never heard of NATMUS. I just went to look it up and they have a crappy website, but I’ll probably stop by anyway.

DieselJim
08-09-2018, 05:26 AM
NATMUS is a good stop. Like it better than ACD. Give me a call when you get close to SNM.574-8five4 101three. See you.

Bob Andrews
08-09-2018, 05:35 AM
NATMUS is a good stop. Like it better than ACD. Give me a call when you get close to SNM.574-8five4 101three. See you.

Will do, my friend. Looking forward to seeing you.

Bob Bryant
08-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Bob: You might want to check out the LaPorte County Historical Society Museum if you can find time. 50 cars including a Tucker. NATMUS has the Futurliner #10 which was owned by my friend, Vi Hyde. There is a video "Miracle at Beaverdam" about its restoration. Sometimes, it is away from the museum for display. Safe travel.

daytonadave
08-09-2018, 10:11 AM
Hours.

daytonadave
08-09-2018, 10:17 AM
I visited Gilmore Museum. Disappointed, not one Studebaker vehicle or Hood Ornament.

54stude
08-09-2018, 10:28 AM
My son and I went to Natus, acd, and Gilmore prior to going to south bend in May, and the Gilmore was our favorite of the 3 then acd, then natus. All worth going to in my opinion.

Henry ford and greenfield village were also great!

TWChamp
08-09-2018, 12:16 PM
I agree that the Gilmore is a great museum to visit, and plan to spend most of the day, as there is a lot to see.
I was there last September and they had several Studebakers on display at that time.
I'll be there again this September, as our Model A club has a swap and gathering next to the Model A building.
I was wishing Gilmore had a similar Studebaker building, but then the SNM isn't so far away, and that's well worth the visit.

Bob Andrews
08-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Wow, lots of good ideas, Way more than I can fit into my day and a half schedule. And they don’t include Notre Dame, which I like to visit when I can. I guess I’ll just have to plan another trip to the South Bend area :-)

08-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Wife and I went to Gilmore in March for the first time. Several Studes there, including a Coupe Express in the truck displays and the white Avanti that used to be at the Door Prairie Museum in Laporte, IN. Not all buildings were open when we visited due to the time of year. Gilmore is definitely worth navigation to the remote location.

JRoberts
08-10-2018, 06:39 AM
The Gilmore and the ACD museums are really great. It is always on my schedule whenever I go to South Bend. Allow plenty of time for each one.

8E45E
08-10-2018, 08:19 AM
The Gilmore and the ACD museums are really great. It is always on my schedule whenever I go to South Bend. Allow plenty of time for each one.

Definitely allow two full days for the Gilmore Museum, and one day each for ACD and NATMUS. And worthy of mention, although quite a few miles south of the I-90 is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway 'Hall of Fame', which is also a "must see".

Craig