PDA

View Full Version : Bring a Trailer, E Bay or Turning Wheels?

rbruner
08-08-2018, 07:44 AM
It's time to sell my 1963 R1 Champ after spending way too much over the last 8 years on improvements and repairs. It has 40,000 mi on a 64 R1 Avanti rebuild by Dave Thibeault.. Cant post pics until I have the truck back from body shop.( another $9000 )
So the question is, where is the best place to sell my beloved truck? There are a couple of pics on the Members forum.
Thanks all,
Bob Bruner

DEEPNHOCK
08-08-2018, 08:09 AM
All of them....

rbruner
08-08-2018, 11:48 AM
I will , thanks. I think the place for me to start is the grassy spot at the busy roadside next to our shop. I'd like to drive it a little more before parting company.

Ron Dame
08-09-2018, 06:53 AM
I've been quite pleased with Bring a Trailer, and I think MB Stude would concur based on his '67 Avanti sale

rbruner
08-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Thanks, Ron
Matt's Avanti was a beauty. Your Ross steering box is still on my truck too.
I drove for the 1st time since May, but not the Champ, unfortunately.
Am learning to walk like a human again after the ladder incident.

redbox
08-11-2018, 06:02 AM
I took the chance of using Mecum with the '56J. Long story, but tried doing it with a no reserve. I ended up with 1st degree burns.

Age and lose of garage storage means I will be selling the two '37 coupes and the '64 GT Hawk and wondering the same question.

Following a couple cars on Bring a Trailer and I have seen the auction being extended minutes at a time as the bidding continues. That could be a plus over using eBay.

mbstude
08-11-2018, 06:21 AM
My personal experience so far is that Bring a Trailer has a higher level of bidders than eBay. I’ve listed a lot of cars on eBay for myself and others, and there’s no recourse if the winning bidder decides to flake out. It’s happened to me more than once. BaT bidders seem to take it a bit more seriously.

That said, BaT will only agree to list your vehicle if it isn’t advertised elsewhere. They want it exclusively on their auction. Once you commit, there’s no canceling the listing. Also, it only gets listed if it fits within their parameters (condition, quality of the vehicle as well as quality of photos and information, reserve price, etc.)

I love SDC but there’s no way I’d list a car for sale in the Turning Wheels classifieds. Your buying market is minuscule compared to any sort of online listing.

avanti-hawk
08-12-2018, 08:41 AM
"I love SDC but there’s no way I’d list a car for sale in the Turning Wheels classifieds. Your buying market is minuscule compared to any sort of online listing."[/QUOTE]

Not only miniscule, but full of cheap a$$ studebaker owners who only live to insult your car as well as your intelligence, as per this forum.

Hawklover
08-12-2018, 08:51 AM
"I love SDC but there’s no way I’d list a car for sale in the Turning Wheels classifieds. Your buying market is minuscule compared to any sort of online listing."

Not only miniscule, but full of cheap a$$ studebaker owners who only live to insult your car as well as your intelligence, as per this forum.[/QUOTE]

My lord, what a cynical statement:-(.........you actually believe that???.......if your statement is in fact truthful, then it would seem a great percentage of Studebaker owners are in need of a new life, or some deep psychiatric therapy:-(

Bob Andrews
08-12-2018, 09:33 AM
LOL! Talk about the truth! Unfortunately, Hawklover, what avanti-hawk said has too much truth to it. That’s why there are so many of us out here who still love and do things with our Studebakers but have very limited involvement with the club and especially this forum. No matter, doesn’t affect how we feel about our cars or the great people we know.

Bill Pressler
08-12-2018, 01:25 PM
I've long-felt that if a car is photographed honestly and described fully and honestly, no exaggerated claims, and priced reasonably (i.e., not an auction and in line with what others have recently sold for), that keeps the negative comments down.

I think Matt's ad on BaT for the Wagonaire was a great ad. I'm liking what I see on BaT lately.

Personally, what gets me is "Original! No rust" Original paint!" and rocker moldings are missing and holes are filled in; nameplates drilled a foot off original, stuff like that. Yes, I can see that, and the potential buyer, if a rookie, should be informed of that stuff too, by the seller. Of course, that requires a bit of honesty, or research, by the seller. :)

The "best" (worst) ads are "Built as a special order; only one of its kind" on stuff like a '69 front clip on a '68 Chevelle, etc. Good grief.

I'm still very pro-SDC. I've definitely seen more mean-spirited/boorish/rude/stupid behavior in general old car circles than in the SDC. My experience only; yours may well vary. :)

avanti-hawk
08-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Not only miniscule, but full of cheap a$$ studebaker owners who only live to insult your car as well as your intelligence, as per this forum.

My lord, what a cynical statement:-(.........you actually believe that???.......if your statement is in fact truthful, then it would seem a great percentage of Studebaker owners are in need of a new life, or some deep psychiatric therapy:-([/QUOTE]
Cynical yes, true, yes. I have been conned by a member of SDC and had a few others make disparaging comments. Not unusual on a web based forum.
As for Studebaker owners I know most are not involved with this SDC forum.

avanti-hawk
08-12-2018, 09:22 PM
LOL! Talk about the truth! Unfortunately, Hawklover, what avanti-hawk said has too much truth to it. That’s why there are so many of us out here who still love and do things with our Studebakers but have very limited involvement with the club and especially this forum. No matter, doesn’t affect how we feel about our cars or the great people we know.

Sorry to bring it up, but thats my experience.
I was able to chat with a few Hawk owners yesterday at a large Canadian show. They were very nice and have never been involved with this forum. I made a point of asking.
One was from the U.K. other 2 were Canadian. So it's not a blanket statement about Studebaker owners.

tman1912
08-13-2018, 07:28 AM
I sold my 1959 Studebaker pickup On bring a trailer it was an enjoyable experience I think it went to a good home course I would always want more money but bring a trailer is the only way to go I’m getting ready to put Mustang on there now