PDA

View Full Version : Hawk hood too heavy

CAPTJ
08-07-2018, 11:22 AM
I just had shoulder replacement on the left and need it on the right
My 56 Skyhawk hood was heavy with 2 good arms but is very difficult to manage now
Has anyone found a reasonable solution to assist lifting the hood ?

64V-K7
08-07-2018, 12:39 PM
http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechdec2017p2g.html#ckrhat

sweetolbob
08-07-2018, 02:12 PM
My 56 Skyhawk hood was heavy with 2 good arms but is very difficult to manage now

As you know most of the newer cars use gas assist struts for this purpose. When I converted my 74 Avanti I used gas assist struts from https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/. I know your car is rear hinged but I would think that you could use similar units to assist in lifting it. You would need to be sure that they are far enough forward that they won't buckle the hood when lowering it.

I used SE244P60 lifts with 10mm ball mounts but you could just measure the height needed for your hood and be sure they collapse enough to allow full closure when the hood is down. Your hood is heavy and so is mine when I added the full cowl induction to it so pick a force you think will work and order a set. You can change to a different value if necessary as the cost of a pair is fairly reasonable.

Looked like this installed.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43108&d=1429907445

PackardV8
08-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Yes, the Hawk hood is too heavy for a young man with two good arms. When in 1956, BB adding that heavy cast grill up front of an already unwieldy design, the result was/is a weak and unworkable situation. Every Hawk hood I've seen in sixty years showed evidence of having been bent, repaired and reinforced. (Those which were destroyed by the faulty hood latch are a different rant.)

FWIW, I spent days trying to engineer a workable system for lifting the as designed hood and hinges. Finally, I admitted I couldn't make it work and spent weeks making a front hinged hood. Here's an work-in-progress photo.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/IWEVs5Q7zKxjjQROSlrm8uXck4IsFiGNt0u57vHAGrto1mdr3WReFIGtTEYIRpqXVxTgamCVUIXZ8sEH 94W2kyyyhUBDV0D8AfuJWStZeJn13DYCoO7q-1Hz7Hz7ZjJccvtsTTyUAOmetI1tyEIl7KjPhuriecfFWAY-49uExR5RywvXnIV2_8Dfz17cxcIVq2K179_Esv8Dd-YHKLe03Zh14eKkYYUbpTevRJEJkfo7Vo0E43lk6XjUlIJgdD824NxDlh9I83gAa6qHoVx7pxnZ4fVGx1 aHdcOHD_Y0g2txJHb-vMne2OrskyUlPFqgU-kNCUxAt-L1-hcCOCtur4Q4BlxlCRZJdQXAwgW-WdmcdP1voGfZBk9Y1Tk1VVdu5kZ9hcyiD9TK69TNXNwNC5f3iRU5BcBbgVe7YUMBUg3hLsk-0QEXI7OAPBRHih9FA7wgAuNwEH4c48P9KNyZXt1noZCuxUxrNB6eIYNJ7PMj0EAyUn8s5jWac5MOZaHE wy5FcxBCIDqj3hN4XpZ7F4omj3fEClAXOh9sqBCDLcoawbOtexRpHA9ceEWjLY5Yyx8QtfcOVPJWiuju sdOOMjUJHjI1tUx2=w992-h744-no

IMHO, this is what Studebaker should have done in the beginning.

It is to be hoped someone somewhere has found a here-to-fore overlooked solution, as the above is a long answer to get to, "No, I don't know an easy way." Adding gas struts to the existing system requires major reinforcement of the center of each side and then would be an impossible impediment to working on the engine.

jack vines

CAPTJ
08-08-2018, 01:44 PM
thank you for the ideas
I love the front hinge idea but I believe it too challenging for me
I will pursue the gas shock idea
wish they had made the grill lighter like the GT Hawks

PackardV8
08-08-2018, 01:57 PM
I will pursue the gas shock idea.

Take the time to do the geometry and make some mock-ups. Every gas strut I tried ended being positioned just where the mechanic needs to be able to reach to do carb and ignition work. That's trading a headache for a stomach ache.

The designs I tried would also have required welding reinforcements toward the center of the hood sides. No problem if it's before paint. Big problem if one has just paid $10,000 for a show quality paint.

jack vines

sweetolbob
08-08-2018, 02:33 PM
Take the time to do the geometry and make some mock-ups. Every gas strut I tried ended being positioned just where the mechanic needs to be able to reach to do carb and ignition work. That's trading a headache for a stomach ache.

The designs I tried would also have required welding reinforcements toward the center of the hood sides. No problem if it's before paint. Big problem if one has just paid $10,000 for a show quality paint.

jack vines

Jack is correct about reinforcing the hood. These things are weak at stress points along the edge and good reinforcement is essential.

As far as the obstruction while working under the hood, the struts snap out of the ball mounts easily and then the complete hood can be raised as high as you want to work under it. High enough to hopefully eliminate a number of scalp lacerations.

Just raise the hood, add a support, pop the ball mount and raise to a higher level to work on the engine. Great use of a long 2X4.

Bob

PackardV8
08-08-2018, 03:25 PM
Jack is correct about reinforcing the hood. These things are weak at stress points along the edge and good reinforcement is essential.

As far as the obstruction while working under the hood, the struts snap out of the ball mounts easily and then the complete hood can be raised as high as you want to work under it. High enough to hopefully eliminate a number of scalp lacerations.

Just raise the hood, add a support, pop the ball mount and raise to a higher level to work on the engine. Great use of a long 2X4.

Bob

Yes, Bob, I'd usually agree, but the OP probably can't manage that sort of overhead lifting.

jack vines

blackhawk61
08-08-2018, 03:38 PM
If someone would reproduce the HEAVY grille like a modern one out of chromed plastic. 56-61 are all the same

5brown1
08-08-2018, 04:30 PM
an option for reinforcing the edges is using the body panel glue. That would eliminate the paint issue on the exterior by making welding unnecessary. I borrow the gun and cartridges from my body shop guy and get him some new tips and a few bucks for the use.

64V-K7
08-08-2018, 04:38 PM
an option for reinforcing the edges is using the body panel glue. That would eliminate the paint issue on the exterior by making welding unnecessary. I borrow the gun and cartridges from my body shop guy and get him some new tips and a few bucks for the use.

I believe i's called "Fusor"

PackardV8
08-08-2018, 05:08 PM

Yes, It works great on bare metal or etching primer, but I've had mixed success in using it on painted surfaces. Once I used it on a professionally painted surface; gravity and road vibration separated the paint from the primer on the parent panel.

jack vines

swvalcon
08-09-2018, 02:38 AM
Jack That's why 3-m says to never put it over paint. They only recommend over ground steel with 24 grit or 80 grit on factory e-coat.

plee4139
08-09-2018, 05:32 AM

I usually don't lift it at all unless I have to check something or detail it for a show. Once at the show if someone wants to see it I have them assist me.It's a very poor design and some have had it modified so that it lifts easily, like a hatchback on a modern car.

5brown1
08-09-2018, 07:37 AM
I assumed removal of paint inside the edge of the hood prior to using the glue. The exterior paint would not be disturbed.

blackhawk61
08-09-2018, 11:54 AM
The grille is most of the weight

Studebakercenteroforegon
08-09-2018, 04:53 PM
I’m a guy that likes to keep Studebaker parts correct from model year to model year, but if your number one goal is to reduce the hood weight, maybe putting a ‘62 or later grille in it is the simple and easy fix. Obviously you could always change back to the original, so it’s not like you are damaging anything.