Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic Drive Transmission Shifting Noise (1951 LC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Automatic Drive Transmission Shifting Noise (1951 LC)

Car: 1951 Studebaker Commander Land Cruiser
    Engine: 232 V8
    Transmission: Automatic Drive DG200 (don't quote me on this, as I will have to verify if it is a DG200)
    Fluid Level: Full, fluid was replaced a month ago
    Fluid Type: Type F Valvoline

Disclaimer: I don't claim to know much about these transmissions even with the shop manual dedicated to these marvels. The problems arises when I am shifting the vehicle either form:

- Neutral (N) to Drive (D)

- Drive (D) to Neutral (N)

- Low (L) to Reverse (R)

- Reverse (R) to Low (L)

When the shifting is executed there is a slipping/grinding sound. It feels like the transmission is searching for the right place to drop the gear. Sometimes this will go on for about 5 seconds before the transmission "pops" into gear. See the link below of an example of when the transmission is shifted from Low (L) to Reverse (R). The issue is intermittent and appears to be more common when the car has not had a chance to warm up. I apologize for not being able to provide more description and would appreciate any direction.

Link:

Last edited by 61LaRk4dr; 08-07-2018, 11:18 AM. Reason: Spelling/Grammer
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Excellent video. I’ll be following this as I am currently working on the same car.

Comment

I can tell you it's making noises it shoudn't be !
      Would be nice if Carl or Herman Thoms could listen in and weigh in.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There are no gears being engaged, there are only clutches and bands that grip or let go. It sounds as though your bands are not gripping at first. First stop would be to adjust the bands per the manual. That is painless and cheap. Second step would be to do the various pressure checks and see if you have low engagement pressures. When driving in D, does the trans upshift as it should? There should be one shift, actually the convertor locking out, between 15 and 40 depending on how much gas you are giving.

Comment

This sounds like the very typical Aged condition on the Internal Clutch Drum Seals causing low Oil Pressure to the Clutches and or failed Seals on the Servos for Band application, meaning an Overhaul is very much overdue.

Any idea if the Trans. has been "opened up" for repair in the last 67 Years?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            This sounds like the very typical Aged condition on the Internal Clutch Drum Seals causing low Oil Pressure to the Clutches and or failed Seals on the Servos for Band application, meaning an Overhaul is very much overdue.

Any idea if the Trans. has been "opened up" for repair in the last 67 Years?
            I can't verify as I have own this car for the last 4 years of the cars life. What you are indicating is certainly a possibility though.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Ross View Post
            There are no gears being engaged, there are only clutches and bands that grip or let go. It sounds as though your bands are not gripping at first. First stop would be to adjust the bands per the manual. That is painless and cheap. Second step would be to do the various pressure checks and see if you have low engagement pressures. When driving in D, does the trans upshift as it should? There should be one shift, actually the convertor locking out, between 15 and 40 depending on how much gas you are giving.
            Thank you for the information. I will be looking into it this weekend.
            1947 Studebaker M-5
            1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

Brian,
              You might try contacting Chuck Tubens up in Portland. He is an expert on these transmissions. Try leaving a message on his phone. I'll PM you.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                Brian,
                You might try contacting Chuck Tubens up in Portland. He is an expert on these transmissions. Try leaving a message on his phone. I'll PM you.
                Thank you for the information.
                1947 Studebaker M-5
                1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

Working...
                X