Aftermarket Coil Over Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Coil Over Shocks

My GT has some unusual coil over shocks that the PO installed. After removing them(the shocks) to replace, they actually seem to be a "universal" type, where they clamp at at the top and bottom, and you could semmingly adjust them up or down for ride height I'd presume. With them off, the ride height seems fine, so not sure why the PO used them. Maybe these are some 70s style JC Whitney item or something. Anybody have ideas? I'll try and post some pix in a bit.

Moonshine in the trunk?

Comment

I would say more than half the Studes I have bought came with Monroe Load-Levelers or the universal coil-overs on the rear. The universal coil-overs were a common add-on in the 1950s-60s. The cars of that day using leaf springs tended to bottom out when filled with luggage and rear seat passengers. As a college undergraduate, I had a '56 Hawk to which I added the coil-overs when it was my turn to drive the guys on a road trip. Four guys and a trunk filled with Pabst needed the extra help.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Just remember that booster shocks (and air shocks) put a lot of extra weight on the shock mounts, and they were designed as shock mounts and not load mounts.
        Jeff[8D]
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
        X