Garage Fire - a real butt tightener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Fire - a real butt tightener

I had a dash fire in a '85 dodge pickup I was cutting up for scrap, fire spread quickly (old leaves, insulation, etc.) the issue was I am anal about having fire extingushers handy along with backup hose, etc. when cutting (old Navy training), well the fire extingusher failed to discharge!!!! after using plan "B" (garden hose)I inspected faulty equipment and found mud daubers had plugged discharge nozzle, so please eyeball your stuff, I ASSumed and it could have been a real bad issue. Y'all Enjoy!!!!!

Thanks for the reminders. The more I do the more complacent I catch myself becoming.
    A close call usually brings me back down to reality.
    Glad you handled it OK

quote:Originally posted by oldcarfart

I had a dash fire in a '85 dodge pickup I was cutting up for scrap, fire spread quickly (old leaves, insulation, etc.) the issue was I am anal about having fire extingushers handy along with backup hose, etc. when cutting (old Navy training), well the fire extingusher failed to discharge!!!! after using plan "B" (garden hose)I inspected faulty equipment and found mud daubers had plugged discharge nozzle, so please eyeball your stuff, I ASSumed and it could have been a real bad issue. Y'all Enjoy!!!!!
    Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)

Comment

Thanks for the reminders. The more I do the more complacent I catch myself becoming.
      A close call usually brings me back down to reality.
      Glad you handled it OK

quote:Originally posted by oldcarfart

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
      57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)

Comment

Are you and the garage/house OK, Calvin? I hope so. [)] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Are you and the garage/house OK, Calvin? I hope so. [)] BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Good call Calvin.
            I was just reading recently about a chap who was a game hunter in the African bush who had dealt with the same type of problem with his clients' guns. If they were not careful, termites and other bugs would get into the ends of the barrels, and when the gun was fired it could blast their hands off, or worse. He kept rounds in the ends of the barrels to insure nothing could get in. Chambers empty and safeties on. Some of the guns he talks about sound amazing.
            .475 Jeffery's No. 2 double barrel express.
            .458 Winchester over/under Austrian double.
            .460 Weatherby Magnum.
            .470 Evans Nitro Express double.
            And the...
            .600 Holland and Holland Nitro Express.
            That's some serious big firepower.
            A great reminder for us all. Now I have to go get 2 more fire extinguishers.
            sals54

Comment

Good call Calvin.
              I was just reading recently about a chap who was a game hunter in the African bush who had dealt with the same type of problem with his clients' guns. If they were not careful, termites and other bugs would get into the ends of the barrels, and when the gun was fired it could blast their hands off, or worse. He kept rounds in the ends of the barrels to insure nothing could get in. Chambers empty and safeties on. Some of the guns he talks about sound amazing.
              .475 Jeffery's No. 2 double barrel express.
              .458 Winchester over/under Austrian double.
              .460 Weatherby Magnum.
              .470 Evans Nitro Express double.
              And the...
              .600 Holland and Holland Nitro Express.
              That's some serious big firepower.
              A great reminder for us all. Now I have to go get 2 more fire extinguishers.
              sals54

Comment

I spoke with the a guy at work who comes by twice a year to inspect fire extinguishers and asked him about recommended time between recharges.

Bottom line...look at the dial at least semi-annually and every five-six years have it recharged...despite what it says on the dial.

I'm going to have the one in my Bearcat recharged. It's been in there since I finsihed restoring it in 2000.
                The cost: a couple of bucks. Cheap insurance.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I spoke with the a guy at work who comes by twice a year to inspect fire extinguishers and asked him about recommended time between recharges.

Bottom line...look at the dial at least semi-annually and every five-six years have it recharged...despite what it says on the dial.

I'm going to have the one in my Bearcat recharged. It's been in there since I finsihed restoring it in 2000.
                  The cost: a couple of bucks. Cheap insurance.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Well, OCF, good to hear from you, even if it is from the 'averting a disaster' standpoint. I miss your posts and your humor.

Just say no to torches.

Frank Starr
                    Seattle

Comment

Well, OCF, good to hear from you, even if it is from the 'averting a disaster' standpoint. I miss your posts and your humor.

Just say no to torches.

Frank Starr
                      Seattle

Comment

Our employees are required to do a visual inspection of extinguishers monthly and all are professionally certified annually.

If you carry an extinguisher in your vehicle--and you should--professional certification costs about $10. Check your yellow pages.

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Our employees are required to do a visual inspection of extinguishers monthly and all are professionally certified annually.

If you carry an extinguisher in your vehicle--and you should--professional certification costs about $10. Check your yellow pages.

Brad Johnson
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                          X