Unusual in a couple of ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual in a couple of ways

Besides the backward water outlet, I have never seen a 6 cylinder Lark with Power Steering. I would think that would be like pushing a rope or a chain as far as that goes.

Bob Miles

With tires that were originally 6.00 or 5.90 x 15, it might have been chosen by someone who was elderly in a town that only had parallel parking...

Last edited by 62champ; 08-05-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Looks like we are back to that 2R10 default eBay thing AGAIN! And the seller says it is not fixable.

This '59 has a nice Regal Interior, but in Indiana with all that Bondo and bubbles under the paint you do wonder if it's a Flintstones floors Car.

Power steering was definitely available, just rarely needed on a Lark Six. I had a '57 Champion Deluxe 2 Door Sedan with not only Power Steering, but also a Flight-O-Matic Trans.

Certainly not a common setup on a Six for sure. It amazed me how well it drove though, the factory knew what they were doing, with the Low Gear Start and the correct Axle Ratio it moved along very well.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-05-2018, 09:05 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

For all its marketable drawbacks, (4 doors, six cylinder, lousy headliner, lots of rust, etc.) this could be an excellent "learning car" for the right young car enthusiast looking for something to develop skills required for restoration. As long as the bidding does not get out of hand, bought properly, this could be a great platform to learn body work, welding, painting, upholstery, and mechanical skills. If my grandson showed any interest, I would gladly present him one along with a comfortable chair for me to sit in and offer suggestions.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have a friend that has owned a six cylinder Studebaker with factory power steering for many years.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            It amazed me how well it drove though, the factory knew what they were doing, with the Low Gear Start and the correct Axle Ratio it moved along very well.
            But if they understood the Champion and trucks needed first gear start, Why O Why in Heaven's Name did they refuse to make that available in most cars? Using the same basic Borg-Warner transmission, Ford had the D1, D2 on the shift quadrant. As most know here, if done during manufacture, it is a very simple and zero cost design change to the valve body. Then, those who wanted smooth could choose D2. Those who wanted pep could drive in D1. Sixty years later and it still makes me mad at them!

jack vines
            Last edited by PackardV8; 08-06-2018, 08:16 AM.
            PackardV8

Comment

Working...
            X