PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Wagoneer tail gate

DieselJim
08-04-2018, 09:21 PM
Be careful. On the left side is a curved bar held in place with a cover and 2 bolts. Removeing the bolts releases the spring tension. It packes a whallop. 17 stiches in the side of the left hand. Won't do that again. Lift the tail gate THEN remove the bolts. Hand still works just fine.

8E45E
08-04-2018, 09:27 PM
The perils of not being aware of the consequences of the concentrated energy being instantly released by that torsion rod was also mentioned here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?86577-Tailgate-step-on-Wagons

Craig

Milaca
08-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Seventeen stitches and how many cuss words? Glad you are okay.

Studegary will be here shortly to tell you that a Wagoneer is a model of Jeep, and that a Wagonaire is a model of Studebaker. ;)

StudeRich
08-04-2018, 10:10 PM
/Cut/Studegary will be here shortly to tell you that a Wagoneer is a model of Jeep, and that a Wagonaire is a model of Studebaker. ;)

NOT if StudeRich gets here First! :D

DieselJim
08-04-2018, 10:20 PM

Studegary will be here shortly to tell you that a Wagoneer is a model of Jeep, and that a Wagonaire is a model of Studebaker. ;)I know what it is. Just don't know how to spell it. No cuss words. Was too late for them. Just "o no. Not again."

tsenecal
08-04-2018, 11:09 PM
Glad you posted it, so that hopefully the next guy will avoid the same misfortune. On the bright side, it will make a great "war story".

Guido
08-05-2018, 05:36 AM

Studegary will be here shortly to tell you that a Wagoneer is a model of Jeep, and that a Wagonaire is a model of Studebaker. ;)

The original Wagoneers were actually made by Kaiser Jeep...

Studebaker1965
08-05-2018, 07:49 AM
Guide, I was thinking the same thing! I currently own a 1989 Wagoneer and the tailgates also have the torsion springs. You definately have to have the tailgate up to take the springs off. Of course we all know who designed the wagoneer and wagonaire. I'd love to have one of each in my garage. Maybe I should purchase the one matt has for sale on BaT.

candbstudebakers
08-05-2018, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=DieselJim;1121304]Be careful. On the left side is a curved bar held in place with a cover and 2 bolts. Removeing the bolts releases the spring tension. It packes a whallop. 17 stiches in the side of the left hand. Won't do that again. Lift the tail gate THEN remove the bolts. Hand still works just fine.[/QUOT

Well come to the club, the club of hard knocks that is , since been there done that I know the feeling, and it happens so fast not much one can do at the last minute .I had pins in my left hand for months,all fine now but still hard to close fist all the way. All I could say at the time is S.....

thunderations
08-05-2018, 11:58 AM
All I could say at the time is S.....[/QUOTE]

Studebaker?

Guido
08-05-2018, 06:48 PM
Guide, I was thinking the same thing! I currently own a 1989 Wagoneer and the tailgates also have the torsion springs. You definately have to have the tailgate up to take the springs off. Of course we all know who designed the wagoneer and wagonaire. I'd love to have one of each in my garage. Maybe I should purchase the one matt has for sale on BaT.

Back in 1977 I bought a 1965 Wagoneer (Kaiser Jeep) and kept it until the mid '90's.

Studebaker1965
08-05-2018, 07:59 PM
They are great vehicles. I still use mine as a semi-regular family vehicle.