PDA

View Full Version : Water/Glass blasting

jbwhttail
08-04-2018, 04:52 PM
We just had our 64 R2 GT Hawk's front fenders water/glass blasted by a company in Indiana called Indy Blasting. I had investigated the process and watched several videos of the process and results. The price quoted was $200.00 per hour, I know to some this is an "over the top" fee. I had the fenders and inner fenders stripped inside and out to bare metal, each fender took an hour with 3/4 of the time spent on original undercoating at least 1/2" thick in places.The result is bare metal in all creases, crevices and surfaces with a protective coating of rust preventative(lasts a few days to a couple weeks). I and my body shop guys are thrilled! There is no metal distortion/ warp, NONE. I will get some finished photos up as soon as I can figure out how since photoshop is gone or I can end them to someone to post. To your door and quality work.... can't be beat!

8E45E
08-04-2018, 04:56 PM
I don't think so. The local DIY sandblasting outfit here charges $120 an hour for regular silica sand with you working the nozzle. In your case, with their staff doing all the work and including rust preventative, that sounds like a good deal to me!!

Craig

jnormanh
08-04-2018, 05:03 PM
We just had our 64 R2 GT Hawk's front fenders water/glass blasted by a company in Indiana called Indy Blasting. I had investigated the process and watched several videos of the process and results. The price quoted was $200.00 per hour, I know to some this is an "over the top" fee. I had the fenders and inner fenders stripped inside and out to bare metal, each fender took an hour with 3/4 of the time spent on original undercoating at least 1/2" thick in places.The result is bare metal in all creases, crevices and surfaces with a protective coating of rust preventative(lasts a few days to a couple weeks). I and my body shop guys are thrilled! There is no metal distortion/ warp, NONE. I will get some finished photos up as soon as I can figure out how since photoshop is gone or I can end them to someone to post. To your door and quality work.... can't be beat!

Sounds good....but, at at $200 for one fender, what would be the cost to do an entire car...$2000...$3000....more?

I'd like to see a comparison to frozen CO2 blasting which leaves perfectly clean surfaces and eats undercoating because it freezes it. No, CO2 doesn't leave any rust preventive, but it may not need to since it leaves the metal absolutely dry.

gordr
08-04-2018, 06:38 PM
One could save a lot of money by removing the heavy buildup of undercoating first. In my experience, the factory undercoating peels off in large sheets with a little urging from a putty knife. For well-adhered undercoating, a heat gun or propane torch will soften it. Having sandblasted undercoating, I can tell you that it eats up time and abrasive like crazy.

jbwhttail
08-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Recently they did a Studebaker Hawk north of Indy and it took them less than 5 hours, this was not a frame off and they did two extra fenders as well as the owners garage door. Just supplying some information, you folks decide the value.

studerex
08-05-2018, 08:35 PM
They made a trip to South Bend to do a friends 31 Studebaker touring car. It took less than 3 hours to do everything and price was 1200. Nice job. I took photos. If I find them I will post. Planning on using them for a 32 president.

SilverHawkDan
08-05-2018, 10:56 PM
Had them come out twice here in California at $ 95 per hour. They did the major portions of the body on the race car, four rear fenders, four front fenders Four fins and some sheet metal. No damage or warping and the rustproofing spray lasted over a month here in dry climate. Highly recommended since having them done by hand would be five times that amount. I say that because the finished metal was paint ready. I ran a Scotchbrite medium pad over them,wiped down with acetone, then primer. I would and will do it again. Clean up was easy as I had this done at our shop. So much better than sand blasting which we do in house. Check my posts for pictures.
Dan

SScopelli
08-06-2018, 10:24 AM
One could save a lot of money by removing the heavy buildup of undercoating first. In my experience, the factory undercoating peels off in large sheets with a little urging from a putty knife. For well-adhered undercoating, a heat gun or propane torch will soften it. Having sandblasted undercoating, I can tell you that it eats up time and abrasive like crazy.

If you seen my post on Hulk Smash, around post 26 I show the removal of 50lbs of the undercoating.

Removing the undercoating myself saved me money on a professional media blasting service.

I used the saving and had them primer the body with electrostatic primer.

jbwhttail
08-08-2018, 01:34 PM
Sorry it took so long to get pictures up.

After glass blasting

Then after a day at body shop

Jerry Forrester
08-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Things are looking good Joe. You are really moving right along.