PDA

View Full Version : 1964 Daytona Hardtop on eBay

bjackameit
08-03-2018, 09:45 AM
Well -- these don't seem to come up for sale very often -- if it was a manual shift I would be very interested -- it looks sound but has some obvious issues -- appears to be no reserve --

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Studebaker-Daytona/142892474234?hash=item21450e1f7a:g:A0sAAOSwvItbY6dW&vxp=mtr

That is the wrong truck lid trim -- right?? -- maybe came off a Cruiser?

StoneDog
08-03-2018, 11:24 AM
I noticed the trunklid trim too. But it still looks like a very nice car even with that "modification".

StudeRich
08-03-2018, 12:34 PM
The dash appears to have been replaced with a BLUE one, making the mileage seem questionable as well as the engine may have been pulled in order to paint the engine compartment that wild BRIGHT Green almost Turquoise!

The maybe Jet Green does not photo well in that light to tell if it is original, it appears a muddy Gray/Blue.
The ONLY pic that shows a bit of Green Color on the body is the tops of the Front Fenders next to that awful bright Green Engine Compartment.

OR... the front clip almost looks like it came from a '65 in that Bright Turquoise Green! > @

Could this STILL be a very nice Car, you bet, just may not be what the owner thinks it is.
The Cruiser Panel on the Decklid is easy to fix, and does not look too bad.
74260 74264 < @ 74265

abkco
08-03-2018, 03:46 PM
I would expect this car to sell for well more than the current bid price of 2900. The dash looks green to me. I think the colors are not photographed well, and are hard to distinguish.

StudeRich
08-03-2018, 03:54 PM
I would expect this car to sell for well more than the current bid price of 2900. The dash looks green to me. I think the colors are not photographed well, and are hard to distinguish.

Compare the Blue looking Dash to the Green Steering Wheel and Column.
I understand that the equipment used to photo and view these Pics and especially the lighting and reflections can vary but, when you see a Photo with a comparison available like this it is definitely a toss up as to WHAT it is, you're right.

Lou Van Anne
08-03-2018, 06:00 PM
VIN number can't be correct: 64V"J"8424.....the "J" must be a "1"?

StudeRich
08-03-2018, 06:01 PM
It is the Body Tag! :eek: 64VJ8-424

62champ
08-03-2018, 06:31 PM
The Cruiser Panel on the Decklid is easy to fix, and does not look too bad.

Did the Cruiser deck lid trim used the same holes as the three piece Daytona trim?

https://i.imgur.com/zp3UmHQh.jpg

abkco
08-03-2018, 06:33 PM
I agree that the picture with the steering wheel and column in it, the dash looks different/blue. But then the picture with the glove box open, the dash sure looks green to me. In any event, the green dashes are the easiest to find. Studebaker Intl has them readily available. Why replace with blue? Someone sure didn't take their time to get nicer pictures made that answered these questions. It's a shame. If Matt, MBStude would have helped this guy with his ebay ad, this would be bid up pretty high by now.

StudeRich
08-03-2018, 07:00 PM
Did the Cruiser deck lid trim used the same holes as the three piece Daytona trim?

I am not sure about the holes in the Decklids, it would make total sense to make them all universal for Challenger, Commander, Daytona and Cruiser but I don't think that is possible.

They would have to make the Decklids universal to start with Blank, then use Templates on the Body Line to complete them, hopefully NOT on the Final Line, you TRY to keep details like that as far from there as possible.

I do know that there would be 20 holes under that Cruiser moulding either filled or not for the block letters, as I am pretty sure the ones on the Aluminum Cruiser Panel are riveted to it, not pinned to the Decklid, just like my '63 Daytona Wagonaire Tailgate Moulding was.

I wonder what those FOUR little "things" are below the Lower Moulding on your Pic.?
The fasteners are supposed to be behind the moulding.

abkco
08-03-2018, 07:41 PM
I think that's the reflection of the bumper guards.

SScopelli
08-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Interesting to put split bench seats in a Daytona. I would have thought Bucket seats would have been the norm..

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mGEAAOSwMhxbY7cO/s-l1600.jpg

studegary
08-03-2018, 08:32 PM
Interesting to put split bench seats in a Daytona. I would have thought Bucket seats would have been the norm..

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mGEAAOSwMhxbY7cO/s-l1600.jpg

Back in my single youth, I would have had a bench seat. I didn't buy a new or used car with bucket seats until after I was married.

StudeRich
08-03-2018, 09:02 PM
Actually a lot of Dealers and Buyers must have realized that the individually adjustable Split Bench is the Most comfortable with Recliners, than the Sportier Buckets and Console as I am pretty sure more of these did sell, even in Hardtops.

stude1964
08-04-2018, 09:54 AM
The decklids had different holes based on the model. The Cruiser moulding is held on by clips I think about 6 of them that go top to bottom inside the trim somewhat similar to the wagon tailgate trim but bent in the middle to accommodate the contour of the trunk. The Daytona decklid may have similar hole locations but I believe the holes were of a smaller diameter for that model's trim. Every Daytona I've owned had individual holes for each letter. Thank goodness I've never had to make a template to do that operation! I like the recliners in ANY Stude as it allows for better driver/passenger comfort. Headrests help a lot also. Nice car for the money.
Rob in PA.

allen04084
08-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Trunk lid is most likely a wholesale replacement of the original, which poses the question - why did it need to be replaced?? It looks a tad droopy to me on both rear fenders - trim isn't even. My guess is that it was hit in the rear and repaired. Big gaps above the tail lights as well. Front fenders?? Maybe replacements due to rust?? We will never know what's what, but I plan to stay away.

SScopelli
08-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Back in my single youth, I would have had a bench seat. I didn't buy a new or used car with bucket seats until after I was married.

Funny..:lol:

Maybe it was the prevalence of the bucket seats in all cars that basically changed today's idea of relationships.

studegary
08-06-2018, 09:26 PM
Funny..:lol:

Maybe it was the prevalence of the bucket seats in all cars that basically changed today's idea of relationships.

That and the safety aspect, including seat belts.

8E45E
08-06-2018, 09:40 PM

I suspect when you were in your "youth", very few American cars had bucket seats; even as an option.

Craig

studegary
08-06-2018, 10:12 PM
I suspect when you were in your "youth", very few American cars had bucket seats; even as an option.

Craig

By the time that I got married, bucket seats were not that uncommon.

- - - Updated - - -

Craig

- - - Updated - - -

Craig