PDA

View Full Version : 1964 Cruiser For Sale in Minnesota, North of Minneapolis

allen04084
07-30-2018, 06:20 PM
So, I like 64-66 Cruisers and this one looks interesting. The price is not right, based on recent sales I've seen. Sort of high, but that can potentially be worked out. Anybody have any info/history on this car? It's north of Minneapolis on consignment. Thanks in advance!

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/studebaker/lark/2142347.html

bjackameit
07-30-2018, 06:39 PM
Basically a nice car -- but yes price seems high by more than just a little --

Looks like the chrome OD push-pull handle is missing under the dash -- maybe broken off? -- it does not look like it is just pushed in --

Stick with overdrive on a Cruiser is very desirable to my mind -- but mileage is high -- would need to know what work has been done --

Bullet
07-30-2018, 08:46 PM
I think we have seen this one before when it was from a private party in North Dakota. Several items I noted:
1. Front and back springs look tired
2. The electrical wires to the brake booster in the engine bay are disconnected
3. Looks new carpet inside
4 wrong color air filter housing
5 desirable color with reclining seats

On the high side for price without knowing what has been done as said before

Mark

studegary
07-30-2018, 10:14 PM
I have owned four 1964 Cruisers. This one looks like a nice car and well equipped, but I do not see the current market priced anywhere near that price. Of course, they only need one person, perhaps someone that does not follow Studebkers and prices it like a Chevrolet.

StudeRich
07-30-2018, 11:16 PM
That Interior looks way too nice in Nylon Fabric to have 114,000 miles, it's either NOS or a whole LOT of Highway Miles!
It does seem to be in better than excellent condition and would bring 7 to 9,000 if it was not at a Dealer.

The front end does not look like it would need rebuilding as it is all likely New, a LOT of money may have been spent to have it done.

One interesting thing I see is no Stoplight Switch wires, it could have a mechanical switch on the Pedal, much better than Hydraulic ones.

I usually plug mine in though, to make it look correct, they are dead anyway because the other ends of them are cut and their mating ends are connected under the dash to a normally Open plunger switch. ;)

swvalcon
07-31-2018, 07:06 AM
The place that has it listed sell cars here in minn on consignment. They are known for super high asking prices.

JRoberts
07-31-2018, 07:26 AM
It is a very nice looking car. It really doesn't look mistreated and its age and mileage get lost in how good the car looks. What's it worth? As always it is worth what someone is worth paying for it. On average the price may be high. How much is really up to the buyer.

allen04084
07-31-2018, 09:44 AM

Perhaps some indication of rust on inner fender.

allen04084
07-31-2018, 11:20 AM
Consignor has only owned the car since March 2018. He got it here:

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/4250-cha/1964-studebaker-cruiser

Interesting repair receipts in the pics. Of note is the VIN plate - obviously had been removed and re-attached. Dealer verified that the brake lights do not work. Hmmmm......

bjackameit
07-31-2018, 11:36 AM
Consignor has only owned the car since March 2018. He got it here:

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/4250-cha/1964-studebaker-cruiser

Interesting repair receipts in the pics. Of note is the VIN plate - obviously had been removed and re-attached. Dealer verified that the brake lights do not work. Hmmmm......

So the question becomes -- why sell it so soon? I doubt it was cheap when bought through Streetside Classics --

Doubt it is an attempt to flip -- Buyers remorse maybe?

TedsHawk
07-31-2018, 12:21 PM
Doubt it was actually sold, it's just moved on to a different selling venue. First dealer would rather list it as"sold"

allen04084
07-31-2018, 12:47 PM
So the question becomes -- why sell it so soon?

Raises many red flags, does it not? I like the dealer co-op theory. The more I dig, the less I like. Next!

sals54
07-31-2018, 03:54 PM
That asking price is WAY more that a little high. Cruisers are very nice cars to drive. Extremely comfortable and feel like a mini Limo as you go down the road.
Sadly though, they do not maintain resale value. Be patient and you'll find a car at least as nice for about half that asking price.
Besides, at 110,000 miles, these cars are due for some serious maintenance issues to creep up. Unless this car has a documented history of having been restored or rebuilt, get ready for an engine overhaul, trans repair, bushings on all ends of the suspension, brake hoses and/or brake lines, rubber on all the glass drying up and a variety of other systems getting ready to crash.
These cars had a life expectancy of about 100,000 miles. Period. They only last much longer than that because some of us have invested our love, time, money and lack of common sense into these crazy machines.
Just cuz we like them.
Wait for another one. This one is too suspect for the asking price.

Stude Shoo-wop!
07-31-2018, 05:11 PM
Assuming this wonderfully optioned Cruiser is in tip-top shape and does have documentation and other paperwork to go along with it, that $14,000 asking price is actually not horrible. Let me explain. I could buy either a brand-new Chevrolet Sonic or a Mitsubishi Mirage with a few options for that price, but I won't be able to get near the amount of enjoyment with those than I would with this Cruiser. Furthermore, similar-era compact cars such as the Falcon and the Nova, would cost at least $16,000 from the classic car dealership.

StudeNewby
07-31-2018, 07:18 PM
All the above are valid points. Without a thorough, in-person inspection, we just don't know what we have here. I almost went to look at it while it was in Charlotte, but alas...

stude1964
07-31-2018, 09:03 PM
Really nice car. I wonder if the A/C was dealer installed with the GT evap. Can't tell if it has the correct 5 blade fan and viscous. This is a sweet car as optioned having rebuilt one a few years ago . This one seems a bit high but solid. If that interior is as nice as it looks that's worth a lot.
Rob in PA

bjackameit
07-31-2018, 09:12 PM
Really nice car. I wonder if the A/C was dealer installed with the GT evap. Can't tell if it has the correct 5 blade fan and viscous. This is a sweet car as optioned having rebuilt one a few years ago . This one seems a bit high but solid. If that interior is as nice as it looks that's worth a lot.
Rob in PA

I do like the fit of the trunk mat -- nicest I have seen in a '64 Lark-type -- nicer than what most of the usual Stude parts vendors sell -- probably custom made?

abkco
07-31-2018, 10:28 PM
As a proud owner of a 65 Cruiser, this car is beautiful. I love my car for the same reasons Sal describes above. I have to agree again with Sal, it's about two times what it the market actually is. You can talk about comparing it to a mitsubishi or a toyota, but it won't change the fact that the market is set by buyers, not sellers. If you look at sold Cruisers in this condition, you won't see many bought for over 10K. 7,500 is probably average.