Bell crank bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Bell crank bearings

trying to replace the bearings on my 57 c-body bell crank, trying to drive them out with little succsess, any suggestions?

They are usually pretty easy to remove. Use a hydraulic press to do it most easily. Get a thick steel washer, the O.D. of which is very slightly smaller than the I.D. of the bore in the casting, Grind flats on two sides so it will just pass through the I.D. of the bearing. Drop that through a bearing, and maneuver it so it lies flat on the inner end of one of the bearings. Back that up with a thick flat washer that will just pass through the bearing as-is. Then get a hunk of round stock that will just pass through the bearing to use as a driver. A worn-out center pivot shaft being ideal for the purpose. Then put the whole thing in your hydraulic press, and out it comes. If you don't have a hydraulic press, this same setup will usually enable you to hammer the bearings out, because it spreads the force to most of the surface of the bearing shell's end.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thank you gordr I will try that

Comment

If you have a bench vise with a sufficiently wide opening, that can be used as well.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
        X