imitiday
10-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Is there a list of: good-better- best oil
filters for an avantiR2?

thanks JNP

63R2AVANTI

sbca96
10-10-2006, 08:31 PM
This is pretty much personal preference. I assume you mean brands?
If you mean size (tall vs short) it could be said that you cant have
too little oil capacity in an engine. I just did an oil change on my
63 R1, and I used a NAPA brand tall filter #2063. Some people sware
by Fram, and others say they are junk.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

Blue 15G
10-11-2006, 07:23 AM
NAPA filters are the same as Wix (Made by Dana Corporation). The part numbers are similar between the two, and both are excellent. Actually, you can't go wrong with any major name brand filter as long as you buy their best one. Most companies offer a cheaper version for the cheap people. With oil filters, as with most things, you get what you pay for!

Mike
10-11-2006, 07:51 AM
I agree with "Blue"! Except that I don't want anything to do with Fram, anymore. Their cheapie, with the asphalt on the outside, is just too cheap. I dropped one, and managed to catch it on my foot. The insides of the filter came loose, and I could hear them shift around when I shook it. If they will put their name on a POS like that, all their products are suspect.
Purolator or AC still seem ok, and are sometimes on sale.
I really like the KN oil filters for heavy duty use.
The Stude full flow filter adaptor/mount incorporates both bypass and relief valves. Having another set in the filter is redundant. An anti flow back valve isn't needed either, since the filter is mounted so it holds oil. It should be possible to select a KN filter based on thread, "O" ring size, and flow rate; even though they don't list them for Stude's.
Mike M.

63Avanti
10-11-2006, 08:42 AM
http://sterkel.org/avanti, click on "filters" for the most current Manufacturer verified applications. After 40 years, I stick with WIX/NAPA, tried everything, including some real wierd things, and the hype was always, if not fraudulent, then overblown to sell overpriced stuff. For Euro-foreign, I stick to MANN/MAHLE/HENGST (check the labels for EURO country of origin, NOT India, or other). Incidently, whenever I checked WIX/NAPA for euro-cars, they are relabeled MANN/MAHLE/HENGST (euro-country of origin), and a little cheaper. What could be sweeter!

quote:Originally posted by imitiday

Is there a list of: good-better- best oil
filters for an avantiR2?

thanks JNP

63R2AVANTI

<center>
Terry, North Texas
1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
(in stage 1 resto "Project A")
http://sterkel.org/avanti
1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
2000 VW Jetta GLS
1999 Toyota rice burner
</center>

sbca96
10-11-2006, 12:13 PM
When I did my oil change, the filter that I COULDNT get off the car
was an AC filter. Autozone carries them. I also used Napa 20w-50 oil
but if you check the label, its made by the same company that makes a
major brand of oil. It was about half the price of that major brand!

Tom

N8N
10-11-2006, 12:15 PM
For ultimate filtration, it'd be hard to go wrong with a Canton/Mecca replaceable element unit, but Wix is more than adequate for most street use - and a lot cheaper.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel