Withdrawal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Withdrawal

Although not nearly as bad as last year's five-month hiatus while the engine was being rebuilt, I'm having Studie-related pleasure withdrawal pains. My car is housed in the garage at the beach house which I've been renting for two weeks this year and last. I really miss the sound of the starter and the engine roaring to life, gloriously amplified by the acoustic chamber which is the garage. Then once under way, that life-affirming, mellow burble of the low-restriction dual exhausts while cruising the back roads of the Hamptons. it's mid summer and in a few weeks it'll be Labor Day and all the annoying summer people will get in their leased Bimmers, MeBees Audis and Rovers and head back to wherever they came from, and once again the roads will be mine. Mine, you hear all mine!!! (maniacal laugh here).
    peter lee

At least, you'll have less and less Rovers.
    sigpic

Comment

Where I live in Dundee Oregon it is all the folks visiting the wine tasting rooms in their own vehicles or limos. Lots of hills and narrow winding roads filled with half (or fully) inebriated drivers can cause one to leave his or her classic car in the garage.
      I hear your laughter though. Have lots of fun when you break that burbling gem out for some road time.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
        At least, you'll have less and less Rovers.
        Well..., if it was these types of Rover's (3500) maybe it wouldn't be too bad.
        Attached Files
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
          Well..., if it was these types of Rover's (3500) maybe it wouldn't be too bad.
          I fully agree. I love the P6, and the P5, too. As for the SD1, it is a shame their electrics and their build were so bad, as they were nice looking cars.
          sigpic

Comment

Oh man, Rover. The pipe-and-slippers alternative to a Jaguar. I love them to death, and would gladly take one of them over any offering from their much more famous competitor. Specifically, a P5 would work wonders for me. Who couldn't resist that walnut dashboard, brown leather interior, and the other trimmings that make it quintessentially British?
            Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

I am sick to death of the G** D*** TOURISTS in my Town. To the extent that we're putting our Lake home up for sale, and moving to the middle of southern inland Florida...Cattle country.

Comment

Lots of differing conditions here there and everywhere!

All I had to contend with here Yesterday was the Border Patrol > US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the Washington State Patrol sirens blaring on Interstate 5 chasing some idiot Woman who broke through the Border Gates from Canada and was chased 12 Miles at High Speed to a Freeway off ramp 4 Miles from here where her Car burst into flames before she was arrested!! In a one lane Roundabout, you can imagine the Traffic backup with a CBP Helicopter overhead. Some people!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                  I am sick to death of the G** D*** TOURISTS in my Town. To the extent that we're putting our Lake home up for sale, and moving to the middle of southern inland Florida...Cattle country.

I feel your pain brother! Yours also Peter. It has been five years or so since I drove Bess ('56 Parkview) last. She isn't cooperating on waking up either.
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

wittsend,
                    I recall that very Rover 3500 being credited with being the safest car on the road at the time (1967?). It was explained in the article a horrific accident with Rover credited with saving the lives of the occupants. I probably have the magazine somewhere.
                    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                      wittsend,
                      I recall that very Rover 3500 being credited with being the safest car on the road at the time (1967?). It was explained in the article a horrific accident with Rover credited with saving the lives of the occupants. I probably have the magazine somewhere.
                      Bill
                      Interesting. The Rover had a fulcrim and the front springs were mounted front to back. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.
                      Attached Files
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

It also was built like a Citroen DS. All panels, including the roof, were detachable.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
                          It also was built like a Citroen DS. All panels, including the roof, were detachable.
                          Christophe, I love the Citroen DS so much. It's simply a stunning design and the wonderfully quirky engineering helps to make it even better. However, examples don't flow like the Seine over here. I've only been able to find one great example, and it was in California! A question for you now: what components of the DS did the ID lack?
                          Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 07-28-2018, 06:49 AM.
                          Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Hi Jake.
                            Early IDs were stripped of power steering, power brakes. Clutch and gearbox were manual instead of hydraulically assisted. In fact, they only kept the hydraulic suspension. Later, you could get power steering as an option and brakes were assisted. If you can test drive one, don't hesitate a second. It is really a unique experience.
                            Nice weekend to all.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                              wittsend,
                              Bill
                              Unfortunately, Grace Kelly was riding in a Rover P6 at the time of her accident. Former Rover owner, 1955 P4 90, 1960 P5 3-Litre, 1966 2000TC. My favorite was the P5 which actually drove well enough to keep up with modern traffic and had front disc brakes.
                              "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Working...
                              X